PDA

View Full Version : Engine Bibles?

ECeptor
08-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Question for the engine builders out there: What reference/technical books do you consider "must haves"?
Aside from the obvious Mercury service manual, I'm getting a copy of Dennis Moore's BBC Marine Performance Book. I have countless engine articles bookmarked and printed out also.

ECeptor
08-16-2005, 08:57 AM
ummmm, you guys don't read or is everything on-the-job did it forever tribal knowledge? (jk..kinda).

Beer-30
08-16-2005, 09:52 AM
I occasionally read :cool: , but there is not much on 496s right now. Raylar is the product leader and others are slowly following. Lot's of trial and some error going on. Limited info, but always looking.

BUSBY
08-16-2005, 12:01 PM
ummmm, you guys don't read or is everything on-the-job did it forever tribal knowledge? (jk..kinda).
I have a lot of old 60's, 70's & 80's manuals from swap meets, etc.
I think 90% of what I learned is from trial and explosion. :messedup:

Carnivalride
08-16-2005, 12:10 PM
I think 90% of what I learned is from trial and explosion. :messedup:
I try and learn as much as I can from others so I hopefully don't have to repeat the same "trials & explosions" :2purples: :2purples:

motecca
08-17-2005, 09:05 AM
I have three books you can check out.
1. "The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice"
Volume (s) 1 & 2 Charles Fayette Taylor author,
The M.I.T. Press (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
2. "Internal Combustion Engines - Applied Thermosciences "
Colin R. Ferguson - Purdue University
John Wiley & Sons publisher.

BUSBY
08-17-2005, 12:47 PM
I try and learn as much as I can from others so I hopefully don't have to repeat the same "trials & explosions" :2purples: :2purples:
Well ... we try to not do it twice either ... but you know how it is, "If you're not breaking ... you're not racing!" :D

Carnivalride
08-18-2005, 03:59 AM
Well ... we try to not do it twice either ... but you know how it is, "If you're not breaking ... you're not racing!" :D
Opps :supp: guess I haven't started racing much yet... :D :D

BUSBY
08-18-2005, 09:02 AM
Don't follow my lead ... I tend to run it until it exceeds it's limitations and then back off a little bit ... :hammerhea
But it sure does feel bitchin' right before it lets go! :D

Thunderbutt
08-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Don't follow my lead ... I tend to run it until it exceeds it's limitations and then back off a little bit ... :hammerhea
But it sure does feel bitchin' right before it lets go! :D
What they say, it runs the best about 30 seconds before it blows.

Carnivalride
08-20-2005, 05:48 PM
What they say, it runs the best about 30 seconds before it blows.
Good thing my 1/4mi times are under 30secs. :D :D
Now the 2mi passes along the dam may present a small problem I don't know if I can cover that in 30secs....so do I lift just after it starts to run rea good? :rolleyes: :squiggle: :rolleyes: :D