PDA

View Full Version : Friends/Relatives who like to go Boating but Never Cough Up A DIME!!!!

DansBlown73Nordic
08-15-2005, 07:02 AM
I took a family out on the big boat a couple weeks ago. I didn't even want gas money or would I have taken any money. I just thought with the price of gas it would have been nice if they would offer. :messedup:
Maybe im just a WHINER...... :D :sqeyes:

Mohave Vice
08-15-2005, 07:17 AM
Nope!

JetBoatRich
08-15-2005, 07:18 AM
Some people think "IT'S YOUR BOAT" :devil:

bchbum
08-15-2005, 07:20 AM
The way we look at it is , we're taking the boat out anyway so I don't expect anything . I have had my burb filled up with fuel for the ride home & a steak dinner . Expect nothing & anything is a step up .

franky
08-15-2005, 07:23 AM
The way we look at it is , we're taking the boat out anyway so I don't expect anything . I have had my burb filled up with fuel for the ride home & a steak dinner . Expect nothing & anything is a step up .
I agree. I never accept money for boat gas, I am taking it out anyway.

STONE33
08-15-2005, 07:32 AM
Its not about the money!! Its about the offer.

franky
08-15-2005, 07:38 AM
Its not about the money!! Its about the offer.
Exactly!

phebus
08-15-2005, 07:43 AM
When I invite frinds or relatives on my boat, I consider them as guests. I don't expect anything from them, and would never accept gas money. I wouldn't invite anyone for dinner, and expect them to bring the main course.
Now, just like a dinner invite, if they choose to bring something to drink, it would be gladly accepted.

Dribble
08-15-2005, 07:44 AM
When we were young everyone had to cough up some dough for gas. Now, even though everyone I have taken out offers to pay for gas I don't accept it. They do buy the beer though.

Essex29
08-15-2005, 07:48 AM
When I invite frinds or relatives on my boat, I consider them as guests. I don't expect anything from them, and would never accept gas money. I wouldn't invite anyone for dinner, and expect them to bring the main course.
Now, just like a dinner invite, if they choose to bring something to drink, it would be gladly accepted.
Phebus, that is a great analogy, simple, but to the point.

Mardonzi
08-15-2005, 08:01 AM
I agree,, as long as you are going out,, nothing expected,, except maybe some consideration and help at the end of the day wiping down or helping to clean up. People who you have to clean up after are usually not invited back but people who don't mind helping are alway welcome. We've had great experiences and piss poor ones on that end.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
08-15-2005, 08:06 AM
Fellow HB poster Waldo has shirt he got from River Addicts that says,...
My boat runs on gas, not THANKS.
i love that saying.... :D

J540
08-15-2005, 08:18 AM
Fellow HB poster Waldo has shirt he got from River Addicts that says,...
My boat runs on gas, not THANKS.
i love that saying.... :D
HELL yah, Show me the $$$MONEY$$$ you Some biatch. :D :D
J/K. Its just fun having people come along two have fun, If they want to buy Drinks thats great, but I have that too. :confused: Wait..............thats why its a 500 to 700 $ weekend every time we go. :D

SummitKarl
08-15-2005, 09:23 AM
J/K. Its just fun having people come along two have fun, If they want to buy Drinks thats great, but I have that too. :confused: Wait..............thats why its a 500 to 700 $ weekend every time we go. :D
nooooo.......it cost you $500 -$700 just to idle that motor of yours
and what you :cry: about money for........... Trina made $3 last time you were out :D

bajabri
08-15-2005, 10:44 AM
I have two ways of looking at it...I have guests that go once in a while and I wouldn't accept $$$(they always offer) ,but the folks who look to go on a regular basis I expect contributions as its a group trip. Years ago when I started this addiction I hardly ever had to put gas in my boat but 20 yrs later things have changed...

Kilrtoy
08-15-2005, 12:43 PM
I never ask for money and only have done so with one person......
If you give me money, thats ok, but dont give me $30 after spending all weekend with me after I dropped close to $500 and you watched this....

bunny 166
08-15-2005, 12:48 PM
I never ask for money and only have done so with one person......
If you give me money, thats ok, but dont give me $30 after spending all weekend with me after I dropped close to $500 and you watched this....
Sorry Miguel, I thought you looking at my boobs was payment enough.... :skull: :skull:

Kilrtoy
08-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Sorry Miguel, I thought you looking at my boobs was payment enough.... :skull: :skull:
Honey , you always have a free pass, you are ALMOST paid in full, note I said ALMOST.... :D :devil: :D

BLT4SPD
08-15-2005, 12:54 PM
why ask for money,you were going anyway,most people dont understand how much fuel it takes to go out.just be thankful you have your health and you can afford to take out your boat and enjoy yourself.

bunny 166
08-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Honey , you always have a free pass, you are ALMOST paid in full, note I said ALMOST.... :D :devil: :D
LOL....I'm almost done paying the man, or woman I mean.... :eek:

Coach
08-15-2005, 01:00 PM
You will find most non-boaters don't have much of a clue about the costs or time to run the boat. We have a huge group of people who go to the river with us and we ask them to explain "Boat Etiquette" to any of their friend or familly members who have never been out before. The basics is to offer (key word) money for gas or help clean the boat after the day is done. But the more important things like no sand on the boat, no food (cheetos), or red punch, no smoking and things like that that could mess up your boats. Hard coolers on the gel, zippers from kids life vests on the gel, etc...
If I invite someone out then I don't expect any money for gas or even clean up, but do want them to be careful so my boat isn't trashed at the end of the day. If you have friends and familly members who always come out with you on a regular basis I would expect them to help kick some cash down at some point.

ahhell
08-15-2005, 01:01 PM
hell, i dont invite family...most friends have thier own boats, but if you ride with me , im out anyway, if youre having a good time, im happy...its just money :cry: :p

doesitfloat?
08-15-2005, 01:06 PM
You will find most non-boaters don't have much of a clue about the costs or time to run the boat.
That about says it all.

Thunderbutt
08-15-2005, 01:10 PM
I hope that isn't the only gas tank on your boat, it might get you to the next gas dock.

doesitfloat?
08-15-2005, 01:14 PM
I also agree with all above about a $ offer or help cleaning would be more than enough but I'm also starting to take less friends out because I end up towing them tubing or skiing all day long. It seems that lately, at the end of the day, all I have is a sore neck from towing/turning around and an empty gas tank (oh, and a new tube with a hole in it). We have had 4 different groups with us the last 6 trips and I have collectively been offered an 18 pack and $20. Not one offer to help clean the boat.
I think it's time to go cruising/lounging with just the family for awhile. :shift:

Ultrafied
08-15-2005, 01:19 PM
If I invite someone to come up for the weekend, I would never think of having them offer me money and I tell them so. They are my guests. I would hardly charge them for the electricity that the AC uses while we are all there, or the food that I offer.
Now when I pull her out of the water and start to clean it, you bet your a$$ I hope they offer to help. I will gladly accept that! :cool:

ECeptor
08-15-2005, 01:34 PM
You will find most non-boaters don't have much of a clue about the costs or time to run the boat. We have a huge group of people who go to the river with us and we ask them to explain "Boat Etiquette" to any of their friend or familly members who have never been out before. The basics is to offer (key word) money for gas or help clean the boat after the day is done. But the more important things like no sand on the boat, no food (cheetos), or red punch, no smoking and things like that that could mess up your boats. Hard coolers on the gel, zippers from kids life vests on the gel, etc...
If I invite someone out then I don't expect any money for gas or even clean up, but do want them to be careful so my boat isn't trashed at the end of the day. If you have friends and familly members who always come out with you on a regular basis I would expect them to help kick some cash down at some point.
My family always kicks in cash when we go. Actually just my brother and one sister do...others mooch. But being the youngest I've mooched for decades off of them so it's all good. I'm very cool with the way my family does it.
One group we went out with for Memorial Day weekend bought us dinner on the trip home. That was the right way, I think.
We left my rig at home and went out with a boating buddy once this year. He filled up the boat on the way there and fuel was put on my card. We split costs that day pretty much 50/50.
A friend of my gf has been out with us a couple times. She and her boy have bought anything plus they are sloppy on the boat - shoes, crap, smoke, etc. Not getting invites from me anymore!
We I go with someone else, invited or not, I help foot the bill - and no I don't chip in $30 when they drop $500.

upsman105
08-15-2005, 01:47 PM
After I pull the boat out we start cleaning. I have enought bottles and rags
for everybody. If you don't help clean, you are not invited back. As for
money, I don't turn it down, unless it is too much. I took a couple out a few
weekends ago, we had lunch in the marina, of which I had to pay not only all
of mine, but part of theirs, they won't be invited back.

my21advantage
08-15-2005, 03:08 PM
It's not about the money it's about the offer....
I hate people that ride on my boat all day, drink my alcohol, and don't offer to help with anything.
I don't care about the money I just like a little help cleaning the boat, or help fixing dinner at the house, frinkin' lend a helping hand. But to come and not help = no more invitations!

DansBlown73Nordic
08-15-2005, 03:57 PM
It's not about the money it's about the offer....
I hate people that ride on my boat all day, drink my alcohol, and don't offer to help with anything.
I don't care about the money I just like a little help cleaning the boat, or help fixing dinner at the house, frinkin' lend a helping hand. But to come and not help = no more invitations!
It's not about the money it's about the offer....EXACTLY my point....I guess with the gas prices so HIGH it kinda struck a nerve..... :220v: :crossx:

Mardonzi
08-15-2005, 04:26 PM
We took the wife's (AzLakeLizard) ex and his new family out for a day on Powell a couple of years ago. After spending 7 hours on the lake, listening to him brag about how he has a captain's license in 3 countries, and how good of a boater he is, the end result was that he didn't lift a finger when we were docking (48 ft boat in 25 m.p.h. crosswinds) and didn't even clean up after his 3 kids ( chips in the carpet, spilled coke on the carpet, etc...)
Needless to say, they have never and will never be invited again,,,,,

Jbb
08-15-2005, 05:04 PM
If I invite some one onto my boat ...as my guest...they pay for nothing.....Its on me.....and as far as cleaning it ...I would rather do it myself anyway...so I never ask...

way577
08-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Hey Dans66Stevens ..have you been on oneida lake yet.. look for HAPPY OURS II... the nice looking bayliner :cool: and i'll buy your gas and wax the boat for a ride ... :smile: .......wayne

Slider
08-15-2005, 05:33 PM
Dont care either way just dont F-up the boat.

moneypit
08-15-2005, 05:39 PM
I go into it not expecting a thing. If they help wipe her down and buy some grub, they get another invitation.

H20 Toie
08-15-2005, 06:45 PM
They should at least offer, for me it's more important that they help clean the boat when we get home. Heck my friends have come over and washed it while i was at work just becuase it was dirty (it sits outside for now) and i didn't have time to clean it, and the next time out guess who i invited first.

CrazyHippy
08-15-2005, 08:08 PM
There's a reason my boats keep seating fewer and fewer people. 1st 1 sat 7, took people out all the time, ended up being a chaufer for a bunch of drunks :rolleyes:
Next one sat 4, and had ALOT less room. Whittled the group down to 3-4 regular people, and they helped clean, knew what they were doing backing the truck up and on the docks. It was great. They are also not out to get drunk. They'll have a few, but NO-ONE has thrown up during the day (nights are another story :skull: )
As for gas, One of the guys has a boat of his own, and will NOT let me put gas in mine. I am sure to return the favor when we are out in his :idea:
BJH

Throttle
08-15-2005, 08:37 PM
I wanna ride with all of you guys that dont want any gas $$$...
I feel uncomfortable as well in taking gas money... I am going with or without you, hopefully without....
Be sure to keep my boat neat and clean througout the day and pitch in at the end, at least offer your help (I generally will say "dont worry I got it" anyway).

Kilrtoy
08-15-2005, 08:38 PM
most boaters that go with you in your boat are throwing cash at you, because they understand what it takes to run a boat....

Throttle
08-15-2005, 08:40 PM
most boaters that go with you in your boat are throwing cash at you, because they understand what it takes to run a boat....
I go along with it... then I buy the first round of jack later...

Miss Perfect
08-15-2005, 08:44 PM
I go along with it... then I buy the first round of jack later...
Wow, you like Jack? Never would have guessed ;)

Throttle
08-15-2005, 08:47 PM
Wow, you like Jack? Never would have guessed ;)
its our little secret, shhhhhhh. :cool:

Miss Perfect
08-15-2005, 08:50 PM
its our little secret, shhhhhhh. :cool:
Ok, just keep your cherries away from me! :D

Throttle
08-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Ok, just keep your cherries away from me! :D
yeahhhhhh. is that what we are callin them now?

Miss Perfect
08-15-2005, 08:55 PM
yeahhhhhh. is that what we are callin them now?
What else would you call them? :devil:

Throttle
08-15-2005, 08:57 PM
What else would you call them? :devil:
cherries work, I guess...
cherry-bombs! I do not plan on makin any of those this trip... :D

Miss Perfect
08-15-2005, 08:58 PM
cherries work, I guess...
cherry-bombs! I do not plan on makin any of those this trip... :D
Good cause we don't want to see fuzzy pictures this time! :D

Throttle
08-15-2005, 09:00 PM
Good cause we don't want to see fuzzy pictures this time! :D
did ya like the one that I posted of me falling?

Miss Perfect
08-15-2005, 09:01 PM
did ya like the one that I posted of me falling?
I didn't see it. Bump it for me! ;)

voodoomedman
08-16-2005, 07:19 AM
It depends on whose going cuz when we take my brothers or our friends we have to fight them from giving and doing too much. My brother said the way he sees it when he goes with people is that they have the boat payment and maintenance and all the other stuff and it is cheaper for him to just gas up ours instead of owning one. My friend said it would cost him a whole lot more to take the family to a hotel and restaurants and everything else for the weekend. My wifes sisters complain if we ask for 20 bucks for gas and have them chip in when we go to Basha's. They don't have to freakin make a house payment every month plus utilities, own the boat etc... Yes I am going anyway but when I'm obligated to take you out and you infringe on my fun and alone time with my family you can chip in a couple of bucks. And more importantly, keep my boat clean, my house clean and help with cleanup at the end of the day. And here's a tip. Don't be such pigs and there will be less work to do.

lewiville
08-16-2005, 11:08 AM
its simple, just pitch in however you can when your on someone else boat. I am sure that the captain will apriciate no whinners as well.