PDA

View Full Version : Compression on pump gas

BOFH
05-09-2002, 02:35 PM
OK. Everyone talks about what they run "on pump gas." But what is pump gas? I am about to redo some engines, and am planning compression... What are people running? Also, I can always get regular, can almost always get "plus" and can often (but often not) get premium. So, survey time!
What are you running in compression, fuel (regular, plus, or premium 87/89/93) and cam (stock, warm, hot) without getting detonation? Let the games begin!

gnarley
05-09-2002, 02:38 PM
Man where are you at that you can get 93 octane? Up here in nor-cal 91 octane is about it, does anyone else know where to find pump gas better that 91?

Chillin The Most
05-09-2002, 03:21 PM
Stock 454, Usually I run the plus(89 octane), sometimes when I don't feel like spending the extra money I run the 87 octane for $1.29 a gallon, when I first got this ride I always ran the Sunoco Ultra 94 octane but at $1.44 a gallon its a waste of money on a stock motor. One place here in PA. has 100 octane, but it is 16 miles out of my way.
MIKE Originally posted by BOFH:
OK. Everyone talks about what they run "on pump gas." But what is pump gas? I am about to redo some engines, and am planning compression... What are people running? Also, I can always get regular, can almost always get "plus" and can often (but often not) get premium. So, survey time!
What are you running in compression, fuel (regular, plus, or premium 87/89/93) and cam (stock, warm, hot) without getting detonation? Let the games begin!

69 Elim
05-09-2002, 03:33 PM
on my ski boat, 350 8.5 to 1 compression, mild cam, I burn the cheapest gas I can find. never a problem.

77charger
05-09-2002, 05:28 PM
On my old samll block in my el camino i had 10-1 flat tops and 64 cc heads warm cam it ran on 87 fine.
on my boat i have 11-1 bbf429 it will bearly take 92 if i back the timing down to 30.Normally i run av gas or 1/2 of 110 and 38 timing it is fine then.

BOFH
05-11-2002, 11:27 AM
I am in Houston, so you probably get your 91 from us. :-) However, what are you Nor Cal guys running on 91? So far, I have only one response... 10 to 1 with a warm cam on 87 octane.

Thunderbutt
05-12-2002, 07:18 AM
I have 11.5 compression and can only get 91 oct gas I use an octain booster. timing at 36. I alwayes run it a little on the fat side, just in case. I would keep the compression down incase you want to go with Blowers or Turbos Originally posted by BOFH:

Havasu Hangin'
05-12-2002, 08:44 AM
Don't forget the size of the cam/heads (gasket) will affect final compression...
The HH Tugboat SBC runs 10-1 pistons, 70cc chambers, 222/230 (112 LSA) cam, 36 total timing, aluminum heads, runs @ 150 degress...91+ octane
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy25.gif

HavasuDreamin'
05-13-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by gnarley:
Man where are you at that you can get 93 octane? Up here in nor-cal 91 octane is about it, does anyone else know where to find pump gas better that 91?
Here in the midwest, we have 87, 89, and 93. Sometimes I even see 94. I know from my Calif. days that 92 was the best I could get. I am not sure why this is, but it is!

gnarley
05-13-2002, 02:11 PM
Hey TB how much and what type of octane boost do you use in your mix?
Originally posted by Thunderbutt:
I have 11.5 compression and can only get 91 oct gas I use an octain booster.

Thunderbutt
05-13-2002, 03:00 PM
The only thing I can get here is Super 104 Plus. Thats the black bottle. one half bottle per tank. with 91 octain gas. Don't put to much in. Doest'n union 76 have 93 octain? Originally posted by gnarley:
Hey TB how much and what type of octane boost do you use in your mix?

VitaminSea
05-14-2002, 03:55 PM
10:1 509 BBc. I normally run 91, but during the summer in Havasu I run a combo of 91 and 100 to be on the safe side. Cliff

gnarley
05-14-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Thunderbutt:
The only thing I can get here is Super 104 Plus. Thats the black bottle. one half bottle per tank. with 91 octain gas. Don't put to much in. Doest'n union 76 have 93 octain?
If you only put in a half bottle does it even make a difference? I don't think what you are adding is doing anything but draining your wallet. That 104+ doesn't have enough of anything in a pint bottle to even boost you to 92 from what I know. What is the main ingredient in the Super 104+ ??? Is it toluene? I hate to say it but most of the over the counter octane boosters that we can get at any auto parts store or Wally Mart don't do much unless you add 5 to 10% percent of the booster to your fuel. So if you have a 20-gallon tank you need 1 to 2 gallons to make any difference. I just read about this recently and will post the link if needed. It seems like methanol is the cheapest octane booster per gallon and racing gas is the best. That tetra ethyl lead is good also but costs a lot to make a difference as well.

Thunderbutt
05-14-2002, 06:49 PM
Well I haven't fried a piston, or heard any pinging and can run at 36 to 38 degree timing. Originally posted by gnarley:
If you only put in a half bottle does it even make a difference? I don't think what you are adding is doing anything but draining your wallet. That 104+ doesn't have enough of anything in a pint bottle to even boost you to 92 from what I know. What is the main ingredient in the Super 104+ ??? Is it toluene? I hate to say it but most of the over the counter octane boosters that we can get at any auto parts store or Wally Mart don't do much unless you add 5 to 10% percent of the booster to your fuel. So if you have a 20-gallon tank you need 1 to 2 gallons to make any difference. I just read about this recently and will post the link if needed. It seems like methanol is the cheapest octane booster per gallon and racing gas is the best. That tetra ethyl lead is good also but costs a lot to make a difference as well.

mister460
05-15-2002, 07:29 AM
Just dump some kerosene in your tank. It will boost your octane and it's pretty cheap. In a 20 gal tank I'd say a cup or two will be good for a few points.

Hydro-Thunder
05-15-2002, 10:41 AM
Just dump some kerosene in your tank. It will boost your octane and it's pretty cheap. In a 20 gal tank I'd say a cup or two will be good for a few points
Tell me more about the kerosene thing I have never heard of doing this???
Hydro-Thunder

gnarley
05-15-2002, 11:12 AM
I think MR 460 is jerkin your chain

Thunderbutt
05-15-2002, 03:12 PM
If you want good information go to the V-Drive forum Originally posted by gnarley:
I think MR 460 is jerkin your chain

GasTurbine
05-17-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by BOFH:
Forget it...lower your compression ratio, and slap on a 6-71 (or a Whipple or two), and dont worry about the gas. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif