PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP, with ATV and Dirt bikes

Kilrtoy
08-15-2005, 09:31 AM
After complete sticker shock on Quads for the kids I decided to go used, BUT again im in complete shock. Why are people asking only 200 to 500 less for up to 5 year old quads than new.......
need help with off brands, again it is for little KIDS.... :confused: :confused: :confused:
this will be for my 7 and 9 yeard old for X-mas....
first time riders

wsuwrhr
08-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Killer,
Quads hold their value pretty good.
Not like dirt bikes or 3-wheelers.
Brian

Dusty Times
08-15-2005, 10:03 AM
For some reason anything in the beginer size range of motorcycles or atvs hold there value extremely well
If you can find a good deal on a clean used you can almost get all of your money back in a couple years. I don't know why.

HOOTER SLED-
08-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Buy them a CRF50, they'll love it.

doesitfloat?
08-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Go for the bikes. I think they're actually safer then quads (after intitial learning curve), they're more versatile, usually cheaper, take less room in the garage, and require less trailer/truck space.
My 4 year old is on a PW50 Yamaha (w/ training wheels) and my 6 year old daughter is on a Honda CRF50. Now that they're on 2 wheelers, they don't even want to ride their friends quad.
Either way you go, it's a great family sport. Good luck on your purchases.
BTW, you think buying the bikes is expensive? Wait til you go to gear 'em up :jawdrop: . Especially when they outgrow the gear in months. Or you can go the clueless parent route: strap your son on a new bike with an open face helmet and a t-shirt and nothing else.

River918
08-15-2005, 10:16 AM
After complete sticker shock on Quads for the kids I decided to go used, BUT again im in complete shock. Why are people asking only 200 to 500 less for up to 5 year old quads than new.......
need help with off brands, again it is for little KIDS.... :confused: :confused: :confused:
first time riders
"Ride Red"...L.A Cycle Sports has the best prices...http://www.otdcyclesports.com/default.aspx
Deal with their internet department for the best prices
http://www.socaps.com/photopost/data/500/medium/P5150077.JPG

HocusPocus
08-15-2005, 10:23 AM
berts mega mall in covina had some good prices on lots of quads.. better then other places i checked out and they have a huge selection of name brand and off brand quads.
as far as the guy who put training wheels on his 2 wheeler.. that teaches kids the wrong way to ride one.. better they should learn to ride a bicycle before sticking them on something with a motor like that. but thats just my opinion.
as far as quads you have to consider the kids age.. for example the kids weight vs the quads weight.. in case of a rollover and remember that small quads.. even 4 strokes are not always green sticker compliant. :)

Jordy
08-15-2005, 10:26 AM
C'mon Kilr, you're a baller. Why the issue with price now?? :D :D :D

Flying Tiger
08-15-2005, 10:27 AM
The cheapest, I mean absolute cheapest place for new quads is LA Yamaha/honda/suzuki/Kawi if you're going name brand.
Before ya go used on any brand,, see if ya can grind down a new one for the same price at LA.
Britanny at Berts in Azusa (internet sales) gives some good prices too.
Avoid places like Kolbe, No Hollywood/Hollywood ect, they always want thousands more for their stuff.
Electric start and auto clutch for safety reasons for beginners.
See ya at the dunes.

Kilrtoy
08-15-2005, 10:37 AM
Im all balled out, Im a baby baller in training

Kilrtoy
08-15-2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks for all the help everyone...

MudPumper
08-15-2005, 11:57 AM
The cheapest, I mean absolute cheapest place for new quads is LA Yamaha/honda/suzuki/Kawi if you're going name brand.
Before ya go used on any brand,, see if ya can grind down a new one for the same price at LA.
See ya at the dunes.
I second LA Yamaha, best prices anywhere and great people to deal with.

H20 Party Starter
08-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Every kid needs one of these :shift:
http://www.tomprodesign.com/single_seat_long_travel_price_li.htm

Kilrtoy
08-15-2005, 12:37 PM
What my advice was not good enough? :p :p :p
UHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,
Who are you......

H20 Toie
08-15-2005, 12:38 PM
Also stay away from the off name brands, they will tell you it's the same as a Honda Yahama,etc but they are not when you need parts it's a big hassle, two of my friends made that mistake last year and they did get them fixed but ruined a couple of weekends for the kids, i got my daughter a Yamaha 80 3 years ago and have never had a problem with it

doesitfloat?
08-15-2005, 12:55 PM
as far as the guy who put training wheels on his 2 wheeler.. that teaches kids the wrong way to ride one.. better they should learn to ride a bicycle before sticking them on something with a motor like that. but thats just my opinion.
HP, I couldn't disagree with you more. "the wrong way to ride one"? I'm not teaching my kids to clear tabletops or triples!
The training wheels allowed my daughter to learn throttle control, braking, a little bit of weight distribution (the tr. wheels are just high enough above the ground to allow riding on two wheels), etc. without also having to worry about crashing. I only allow them on level surfaces. They are just a stepping stone. After 2 rides w the training wheels, she went to the crf50 w/o tr. wheels and is doing great.
My 4 year old obviously still uses them (and probably will for another year) because he's just too short to not have them. But they know that the wheels are just to help them at start. They both practice at riding without the tr. wheels contacting the ground which means that they are balancing the bike properly.
BTW, these are the large mid mount wheels, not the tiny little bicycle rear axle type.
As far as the motor, these bikes have a governor which keeps the kids from going too crazy.
I'd recommend these too everyone and have read only favorable things about them in dirtbike forums.

Havasu Luvr
08-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Miguel, check your pm's, oh BTW these are elect starts auto 4 stoke and reverse

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
08-15-2005, 01:55 PM
first time riders
Hay b*t*h, I hope you get my kids something better then this junk
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/509IMG_0011.JPG

ECeptor
08-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Also stay away from the off name brands, they will tell you it's the same as a Honda Yahama,etc but they are not when you need parts it's a big hassle, two of my friends made that mistake last year and they did get them fixed but ruined a couple of weekends for the kids, i got my daughter a Yamaha 80 3 years ago and have never had a problem with it
I second that. Stick with one of 5 brands (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Polaris) and you won't go wrong. Between my bro and I we've owned at least one of each brand and all are good enough.

my21advantage
08-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Hey Kil'r I'm going to Monclair Yamaha on Wednesday to price out some quads....through someone at work (a good hook-up).
Let me know if you want me to get a price for you?

JetBoatRich
08-15-2005, 05:02 PM
I bought my son a DRZ-110 a couple years ago, it was reccomended from the boards :D
It has been a great bike, not to tall put plenty of power as he grew up.
We will keep it as a camp bike :eek: since it is time to get him a bigger bike :hammer2:
Like others said, the gear will get you as they grow :mad: new boots, clothes, etc :mad:

cc322
08-15-2005, 05:47 PM
You say it's for the kids what will happen is that you will get the bug and want a bike yourself, nothing like going on a trail ride with the kids and having a bike to go with them. Get the kids small bikes, 50's or something like that and get yourself a 250 to tag along. BTW get bikes not quads more veratile imo

Mrs.Racer277
08-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Oh look who is playing in the wrong sandbox now???????? :confused: :confused:
No I was here before you go back to the sand you are in the wrong sand box...
This is a boating website...
IMO dirt bikes are the way to go. :D

Kilrtoy
08-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Oh look who is playing in the wrong sandbox now???????? :confused: :confused:
IMO dirt bikes are the way to go. :D
Good memory, but Im asking a question, not organizing a trip......
:supp:

Flyinbowtie
08-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Kilr;
We started my oldest, (now 21) on a Suzuki LT80 that was a year old when we bought it.
That thing was bulletproof. Chris was 8 or 9 when we got in it, and he rode the heck out of it for 4 seasons. We ride only in the sand, but he was one of those kids that left camp after breakfast with his friends and only returned for food or gas until nightfall. the electric start/brake lock interface, and the adjustable throttle screw were great training tools, IMHO.
When he graduated from it to a 250X his younger brother got on it and did the same routine for another 4 years, same results same record of operation. All I ever did to that machine was lube it and change the spark plug once a year. No exposed chain, no problems, always fired up. When we were done with it I sold it to a friend for his kid to start out on for about $1200. So it cost me about $500 to own it 8 years. The memories the boys have of the times on that quad were worth 10 times that.
My buddy pulled it apart a couple years ago and did a one over on the piston, and it is now down to his daughter, their second child.
One of the reasons the used ones are so rare is that everybody knows somebody that is just starting out, and arrangements seem to be made years in advance regarding who is gonna get them next.
I'd support what others have said here and stick with the big 4 brands. I know they are pricey, but the off-brand bikes are such a big ? that I jsut wouldn't go that way. Taking those family trips to the sand and then having the poor kid's quad breakdown ruins rare time together, and besides, then you have to stop your doin's and fix the darn thing...

meaniam
08-16-2005, 11:05 AM
http://motorcycleandatvsource.com/
check this out for used atc, bikes, and parts
i think he has 2 beginner quads
mike

charitycase
08-16-2005, 12:05 PM
Miguel check your pm's

BADBLOWN572
08-16-2005, 12:44 PM
For the kids, I would definitely look at the Suzuki LT80 quads. I had one as my first bike and they were great. They have enough power, auto tranny, nice suspension, and electric start. I rode that quad for about 5-6 years then I got a 250, then kept going... I would look used, but unfortunately you picked the wrong time of the year to start looking for bikes with sand season right around the corner.

bohica
08-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Gotta agree on the LT80 for kids their age. It's amazing how well they hold their value. The good thing about it is, the 9 year old will spend one season on the LT80, and then next season you'll be buying him a Honda 250ex, then a 300ex and then a 450R before you know it. :D You be able to get most of your investment back when you decide to sell. :D

SummitKarl
08-16-2005, 01:16 PM
hey start em of with the cheapo's at the auto parts stores, Next time your in havi check em out, I keep meaning to buy one of the little $500 quads, just to rip up the backyard :smile:

MAINEVENT
08-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Cause he goes all out for him and trying to go cheap on his kids :hammerhea typical wetback :wink:
Just get a Rhino :crossx:
I have a LT-80 for cheap if you want it.....

Kilrtoy
08-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Cause he goes all out for him and trying to go cheap on his kids :hammerhea typical wetback :wink:
Just get a Rhino :crossx:
I have a LT-80 for cheap if you want it.....
Who you calling wet back GREASER

MAINEVENT
08-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Who you calling wet back GREASER
You Ole'Brown Guy :hammer2: ;)

BLOWN HOWARD
08-16-2005, 04:19 PM
How much for the lt-80 and what yr?? Dam kilr this is complete bullshit if your kids knew how much you spent on the boat,truck,vet. And now your bitching about 2g's for a quad!!!!!!!!!!!! YOUR KILLING ME BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kilrtoy
08-16-2005, 04:32 PM
How much for the lt-80 and what yr?? Dam kilr this is complete bullshit if your kids knew how much you spent on the boat,truck,vet. And now your bitching about 2g's for a quad!!!!!!!!!!!! YOUR KILLING ME BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!
They should be glad they are getting anything...

Bling Bling
08-16-2005, 05:58 PM
No shit!!! Ya think squeaky needs a bit of WD40 on his wallet? Geez. Seriously the best out there I think is the Suzuki lt 80. Kilr Madison started on an Lt80, sent it to Trinity and put a stage 3 kit on it and she dam near goes up comp half way. I then bought her a Kasea 90, Trinity stage 3.5 and it will go all the way up comp. The Kasea with the Trinity kit is quicker then a Blaster with a pipe, air box mods and a jet kit, and about the same on top. Both the 90 and 80 have electric start, decent suspension for a kids quad,and no shifting. The Kasea flat out gets it for a 90 and I have had 0 problems with it. Most all the kids in our group are on Kasea 90s, Lt80s, or Blasters. The only thing that sucks is mixing oil and gas, all 3 are two strokes. But looking at those things hanging off the back of your boat that probably doesn't bother you. :D Now that my 10 year old swims competition, she says she can't take the chance of injuring herself on a Quad and she wants to graduate to a Rhino!!!! YEA RIGHT I'm looking at the new Suzuki 230 or 250 for Madison, anyone have info?

riverroyal
08-16-2005, 06:34 PM
we have a polaris predator 90 for my 8 year old,,and a predator 50 for my 5 year old,,,I think they are the best kids 4 wheelers out now,the suspension actually works!Most just bounce the kids off.Not the cheapest ,but resale is good,and the kids love the looks.http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/2371maosn.jpg

BLOWN HOWARD
08-16-2005, 06:50 PM
No shit!!! Ya think squeaky needs a bit of WD40 on his wallet? Geez. Seriously the best out there I think is the Suzuki lt 80. Kilr Madison started on an Lt80, sent it to Trinity and put a stage 3 kit on it and she dam near goes up comp half way. I then bought her a Kasea 90, Trinity stage 3.5 and it will go all the way up comp. The Kasea with the Trinity kit is quicker then a Blaster with a pipe, air box mods and a jet kit, and about the same on top. Both the 90 and 80 have electric start, decent suspension for a kids quad,and no shifting. The Kasea flat out gets it for a 90 and I have had 0 problems with it. Most all the kids in our group are on Kasea 90s, Lt80s, or Blasters. The only thing that sucks is mixing oil and gas, all 3 are two strokes. But looking at those things hanging off the back of your boat that probably doesn't bother you. :D Now that my 10 year old swims competition, she says she can't take the chance of injuring herself on a Quad and she wants to graduate to a Rhino!!!! YEA RIGHT I'm looking at the new Suzuki 230 or 250 for Madison, anyone have info?
Hey bling how much you want for the lt-80????? Shoot me a pm

Bling Bling
08-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Hey bling how much you want for the lt-80????? Shoot me a pm
Sorry brother, but I already sold the 80 and 90 . Sorry.

Eliminator 4 Life
08-16-2005, 07:26 PM
first time riders
Tight AZZZZZZZZZZZ :)

Kilrtoy
08-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Tight AZZZZZZZZZZZ :)
Im glad you are checking it out, but it was built for ladies only....

Eliminator 4 Life
08-16-2005, 07:33 PM
Im glad you are checking it out, but it was built for ladies only....
fawker I knew you were gonna turn this shit around next time buy like a 22 foot so you can buy some quads ha ha

Kilrtoy
08-16-2005, 07:38 PM
fawker I knew you were gonna turn this shit around next time buy like a 22 foot so you can buy some quads ha ha
What motorhome....

Eliminator 4 Life
08-16-2005, 07:39 PM
What motorhome....
no you mean what DCB???

Kilrtoy
08-16-2005, 07:40 PM
SQUEAKY??????????????
I have small pockets that carry spare change next to you.........

Kilrtoy
08-16-2005, 07:42 PM
no you mean what DCB???
You mean this DCB..........I recall you and WYRD doing the same thing back there a few months ago...
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/111DSC01067.JPG

Eliminator 4 Life
08-16-2005, 07:44 PM
You mean this DCB..........I recall you and WYRD doing the same thing back there a few months ago...
No PICS no PROOF :D

BoatFloating
08-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Kasea 90's like my boy's...... Trinity makes a hop up kit when they grow into it. Mom and dad need a Rhino.... :2purples:

meaniam
08-17-2005, 08:58 AM
great looking dcb

Kilrtoy
10-13-2005, 08:51 PM
BUMP for Wet Willie