PDA

View Full Version : gen 6 pushrod length

BOBALOO
03-04-2003, 07:36 PM
I have a 454 gen 6 that I want to put an adjustable valvetrain on. I know that the studs will have to be changed, but does anyone know what length pushrods I need to order? This is not a race engine just a .575 lift cam (roller)also are the crank bearings the same as mk1v?

FastTimmy
03-06-2003, 11:53 PM
Can't just give you a from the hip length however I can give you this advise.
Besides all the angle of the dangle BS. The one thing I look for is the contact patch on the stem through out the lift cycle. I usually put some blue dykem on the stem and spin the cam through its cycle. the contact patch should stay centered on the stem. If you are not centered you can change to a shorter push rod to move the contact patch away from the rocker stud or you can lengthen the push rod to bringe the patch closer to the rocker stud.
No matter what lenght any one tells you always check the contact patch!
Most performance places sell a adjustable push rod you can buy to mock this up. However I made my own with a coupler nut and a bolt.

Nubbs
03-07-2003, 07:42 AM
You want the contact patch centered in regards to the valve stem. This will minimize side loading on the valves. There will be less drag between the valve guides and valves. I'm not sure how much performance can be gained or lost by adjusting the contact patch, but the valve train will definitely last longer if setup properly.

BOBALOO
03-07-2003, 07:10 PM
thanks for the reply.I was looking for an appx length to start with but decided to measure the diff between the taller hyd roller and standard lifter.I assumed that the gen 6 pushrods would be too short to get a good starting point,and havent taken anything apart yet.