PDA

View Full Version : Plaster, Pebbletec, Pebblesheen, 3M's Colorquartz or something else?

MagicMtnDan
08-15-2005, 03:54 PM
These seem to be the choices:
Plaster
Pebbletec
Pebblesheen
3M's Colorquartz
or something else?
I'm leaning towards Pebblesheen (it was Pebbletec but I heard it's a bit rough on the feet).
What do you have? What do you recommend?
Thanks

Not So Fast
08-15-2005, 03:57 PM
3 M is very good looking and easy on the feet!!!!!!!!!!! NSF

Bling Bling
08-15-2005, 04:37 PM
These seem to be the choices:
Plaster
Pebbletec
Pebblesheen
3M's Colorquartz
or something else?
I'm leaning towards Pebblesheen (it was Pebbletec but I heard it's a bit rough on the feet).
What do you have? What do you recommend?
Thanks
Pebblesheen. If your having a new pool put in or even a remodel, have your contractor take you to a pebbletec or sheen pool he's done in the past and feel for yourself. Get in the pool knee deep and try it out. This is my #1 question asked, and once I take my clients to do this procedure, 95% go with Tec or Sheen. There's a few new plaster procedures on the market now, but you can add about another 3 grand to the top of Pebblesheen. Good luck.

NashvilleBound
08-15-2005, 04:39 PM
3M color quartz is the way to go! Create your own blend. VERY durable and lasting. Pebble tech gathers alge WAY too fast..... Regular plaster is cool but boring....and only lasts a few years.....

Big Block
08-15-2005, 06:01 PM
I say pebbletec all the way. We put PT in our new pool (4 yr ago) and am very glad we chose too. Don't let people fool you into believing that it is hard on your feet. It is absolutely no worse on your feet than any other style coating. The first year I did tear up my feet pretty good due to wrestling around in the water with my sons. Once you have been in the water for a while, your feet get really really soft and they can get damaged no matter what surface type. PebbleTec is more money for sure, but it is a much nicer looking pool as well.
Nowadays I still wrestle with the young-ins, but I do it when I first get in the water. After say 20-30 minutes we're all pretty wore out anyway and it's time to relax. I've learned how to use it and have had no issues since. On the same note, no-one of my family or friends has ever had any problems at all in my pool. NONE. It's just the "horseplay" after you have been in the water for a long time. Do it in a plaster pool and you will get the same results.
I second that, go see some PT pools in your area first hand. You'll lov-em. Goodluck.

Mandelon
08-15-2005, 06:08 PM
WE have the 3M colored Quartz coating and I am happy with it. It won't scrape you up like the pebbles will, not just your feet but your knuckles and elbows. The Quartz is smoother and algae has a hard time getting a grip on it. Easy to keep clean and the variation in color help to hide dirt. It has a long warranty also. We used a beige and black mix. WE also have a powered keyed cover that rolls out and back when you hit the switch. This keeps it really clean, makes it warmer and helps to retain heat. It also means we didn't need a fence. Along with the solar we can get our pool up to 95* in the summer......too hot for me but the kids dig the giant jacuzzi...LOL :hammer2:

PHX ATC
08-15-2005, 06:43 PM
Sheen.

riverracerx
08-15-2005, 09:01 PM
Dan, come over. I am so close to you. I have Pebble tec in the pool and sheen in the spa.
Call me at work 818-973-3414
Chris

Partycattin
08-15-2005, 09:24 PM
Just put Tech in my pool and spa, and Sheen on the beach entry. The Pebble sheen is nice but the Tech I could have done without. If my kids rub up against the steps or benches wrong, they come out bleeding.
My buddy just went with 3M. It looks good and is super smooth.

NorCal Gameshow
08-15-2005, 10:01 PM
3 M is very good looking and easy on the feet!!!!!!!!!!! NSF
What he said...
mine has plaster nice and smooth...
pebble tec that i've been in is very rough. if you have kids with the pebble tec, get your band-aids from costco :wink:
the 3m quartz is the way i'd go, if you can fit the extra $$ in your budget

BoatPI
08-16-2005, 05:52 AM
Good info as I am leaning towards the 3M plaster for a redoo this winter.
I need something that will not hold the alge as the pool gets to 94 degrees in a hot August afternoon.
Anyone had good luck and not screwed by a plaster firm in Havasu?

ROZ
08-16-2005, 11:51 AM
I need something that will not hold the alge as the pool gets to 94 degrees in a hot August afternoon.
Run a solid chlorine reading and PH a litle more toward the acidic aide, and you won't have a problem... Also make sure your conditioner (cynaric acid) isn't too low. Chems won't last at all if there's not enough ppm...
Pool sufaces will last a lot longer if you keep up with your chemicals...

franky
08-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Run a solid chlorine reading and PH a litle more toward the acidic aide, and you won't have a problem... Also make sure your conditioner (cynaric acid) isn't too low. Chems won't last at all if there's not enough ppm...
Pool sufaces will last a lot longer if you keep up with your chemicals...
Help me out, ppm refering to chlorine?

76ANTHONY
08-16-2005, 12:00 PM
salt system? chlorine?

ROZ
08-16-2005, 12:07 PM
Help me out, ppm refering to chlorine?
I was referring to the parts per million reading of the conditioner level... If it's too low, your chemicals won't last...Too high a reading is bad. The only way to reduce it is to drain your pool half way and add new water. Water doesn't bond with chlorine and muratic acid. You need the catalyst, stableizer / conditioner. You'll need to check this level with the proper test kit.... You can get the cynaric acid test kit at your local supply shop or Home Depot. They may call it conditioner or stableizer test kit as well...

mmered8299
08-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Salt systems are the way to go nowadays. Should run you $1000 for Labor and Material. No more chemicals and the water is soft on your skin too. The wife likes that the best!

ROZ
08-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Salt systems are the way to go nowadays. Should run you $1000 for Labor and Material. No more chemicals and the water is soft on your skin too. The wife likes that the best!
Just wanted to add that this is only so you don't have to physically add chlorine. Not saying that it doesn't work, because it works quite well at maintaining solid baseline. Only time someone should have to add chlorine is if the pool is totally bombed after having a party or something... People who don't use salt systems usually run tabs as their weekely routine. Since tabs are composed of chlorine, muratic acid and have a small amount of conditioner in them, the person who switched to salt system will have to monitor the ph a little closer than before...
Conditioner and ph levels still need to be maintained.

prozach
08-16-2005, 01:22 PM
With pebbletec be sure to get the small pebbles. I heard when the large pebbles come off in time, they leave sharp edges that can cut you. I have the small pebbletec and love it.