PDA

View Full Version : What lift ???

TwinMach26DCB
12-30-2005, 11:40 AM
Just picked up 06 Duramax last night... Jay was a huge help in finalizing my deal... Crew Cab 4x4 --- I'm thinking 6" lift and am looking for suggestions.... Many thanks... What is the best.. my 97 z71 had a trailmaster and my 00 z71 had the Rancho.. Never had probs with EITHER, but not sure about the 3/4 ton .. The local dealers are using one from RCD I believe.. never heard of them.. I'm sure this group will come up with the RIGHT answer for me.

cc322
12-30-2005, 01:48 PM
RCD is a very good lift manufacture, they also come with Bilstien shocks. I think CST is to GM as what Donahoe is to Ford. Good Luck

Reaper1
12-30-2005, 01:51 PM
Cst

fourspeednup
12-30-2005, 06:20 PM
You can't go wrong with either the RCD or CST. Correct me if I'm wrong but with the lift spindles in the RCD package the front wheels will stick out a couple inches further than the rears.

Riverkid
12-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Whatever you do, NEVER use Superlift. I had an '01 Chevy with a 6" kit and the RHS upper A arm drop down bracket broke - TWICE! Nothing like going across 5 lanes of the 405 at 70mph with the RF 35" tire stuck into the dual shocks at a 45 degree angle, locked up.
Took pics, wrote letters. Neither 4WP or Superlift would do a thing. 4WP said it was "Customer Abuse". Had them replace both upper drop down brackets on each side. Same F-ing thing happened 35K later. Auctioned that truck. Didn't bother fixing it.
Those Superlift kits are dangerous!

tahitijet
12-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Whatever you do, NEVER use Superlift. I had an '01 Chevy with a 6" kit and the RHS upper A arm drop down bracket broke - TWICE! Nothing like going across 5 lanes of the 405 at 70mph with the RF 35" tire stuck into the dual shocks at a 45 degree angle, locked up.
Took pics, wrote letters. Neither 4WP or Superlift would do a thing. 4WP said it was "Customer Abuse". Had them replace both upper drop down brackets on each side. Same F-ing thing happened 35K later. Auctioned that truck. Didn't bother fixing it.
Those Superlift kits are dangerous!This is extremely common.. We are constantly rewelding the upper a-arm drops on these lifts. It's also very common for 4 wheel parts to not back up the parts the sale.
I strongly caution agianst any lift sold by 4 wheel parts, fab-tech, rancho, super lift, etc.. I've seen just to many of them break on street driving trucks without abuse.
As far as the lift on the duramax.. If you want the absolute best then go with cognito. RCD and CST are great lifts as well. On the cognitio kit you'll have to step up to a 7-9" kit but that extra inch really works to your advantage with tire clearance.

Riverkid
12-30-2005, 07:52 PM
I've heard the exact same thing. I bought a Donahoe kit for my '05 Ford and I'm loving it. I had a Fabtech kit on my last Ford ('01) and the front spring bushings died really quick. Nice hard "thunk" through the floorboards whenever the truck got dirty. Took it over to Deaver and they put a DR front kit on it which fixed it up nicely... They also fixed another 4WP F-up by putting the right sized 1/2" bolts in the shocks. Those idiots used the stock fasteners and they were beating around inside the shock heims...
I'll never go back to 4WP again.

River918
12-30-2005, 08:01 PM
I have had three trucks with Pro-Comp Lifts and havent had a problem. I just had my 2006 Duramax (also bought from Jay) lifted with one a couple weeks ago and love it. I'm not the extreme 4-wheeler that alot of people might be, so the Pro-Comp has worked for me over and over again.....It is best fit for me because it maintains a nice freeway ride and the tires keep the factory tracking width. Here's a picture: (Also had the "Amp" retracting boards/steps put on and they are sweet)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2670PC180096.JPG

cc322
12-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Brian did the boys in Laguna Hills do the Amp bars? if so how much did it cost you?

roln 20s
12-31-2005, 07:45 AM
I got my new 06 LBZ Duramax from Jay the night before Thanksgiving and had it lifted at www.superdutyheadquarters.com one week later. I went with the RCD lift. It is standard with Bilstein shocks. The wheels are 20*10" MKW on 325/60/20 Toyo A/Ts. The ride is great. I also added some Firestone Air Bags to the rear for towing. I am very happy.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5544front_side_2-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5544side_1-med.jpg
Good luck :)
Roln 20s

LUVNLIFE
12-31-2005, 09:32 AM
We went with the RCD lift, six inch. Rides great and have not had one problem.

blackcloud75
12-31-2005, 01:38 PM
CST 6"-8" w/35's and still fits in the garage
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1453caddy_CST.JPG

LHC30Victory
12-31-2005, 04:10 PM
What about 4" kits? I dont want the full 6" lift, but the standard height is lame. I'm thinking about the Cognito leveling kit with some taller tires, like 285/75/16...
Any experience or help for this project???

Partycattin
12-31-2005, 04:13 PM
Theres a 6" procomp lift (used) in this weeks recycler for $150. Fits a chevy 2500 and comes with dual front shock setup.

blackcloud75
12-31-2005, 05:45 PM
What about 4" kits? I dont want the full 6" lift, but the standard height is lame. I'm thinking about the Cognito leveling kit with some taller tires, like 285/75/16...
Depends on what truck you have. You may not even have to install a lift. If you have torsion bars adjust them to level the truck. You may get a little rougher ride.Then see if 285/75/16's fit. May have to trim some plastic.

tahitijet
12-31-2005, 06:05 PM
If this is a newer chevy you can't go wrong with the cognito leveling kit. You will be happy you invested the money and time to do it VS. just simply cranking the truck up. Cranking up the newer chevy trucks to level usually puts the ball joints at there max. The cognito kit fixes that so you don't end up going for a nasty ride. You might also want to look into there pitman/idler supports, and and pitman bracket. I'm a chevy man so I hate to admit it but these are weak links even on stock trucks and this is a worth while upgrade to increase the life of your front end parts.
285 75 16 will fit with the leveling kit as well as most 33's
Oh by the way we are a Cognito dealer if you need anything.

LHC30Victory
01-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the info.... OOPs the truck is an 05 ccab 4x4 dmax.
TahitiJet - how difficult is the install? I have done suspension work before but like to konw what Im getting into first....

tahitijet
01-01-2006, 11:59 AM
the leveling kit is a pretty simple install.. It shouldn't take more then a couple hours. Since the upper arm does not support the weigth of the vehicle there is no need to unload the torsion bars. So you basicly just unbolt the upper a-arm and bolt the new one on then crank your stock torsion bars adjusters up and install the shock extenders.
In some cases it is required to isntall ford keys to get to full height. In this case you'll need a special clamp to unload the torsion bars to change the key. DO NOT use a c-clamp or any other type of tool.
Now a full lift is a little differen't but can still usually be completed within a day by a shop that does them all the time or within 2 by a couple guys that don't do them often.

02HoWaRd26
01-01-2006, 08:22 PM
GO Cognito best lift out there for a chevyhttp://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/12148chevy_001-med.jpg

Schiada Time
01-03-2006, 04:11 PM
I would recommend CST. I work for a custom truck magazine and out of everyone I have talked to at shops who install on a daily basis this is the best kit for this particular truck.
Red Rocker

tahitijet
01-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Don't listen to travis, everytime i see the guy he is drinking, drunk, or hungover. :rollside:
Just busting your chops travis.
but in my opinion CST does make a great kit RCD does as well you really can't go wrong with either of them, but when it comes to the best and espeically in the "BIG" ifs kits cognito hands down.

sigepmock
01-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Congrats on the new truck. I would recommend CST. I had the RCD 6" on my last 2500HD and it was fine but not as heavy duty as the CST. This time around I went with the CST and had a custom shock hoop built to install a good single shock vs the dual shocks to the upper A-arms that some are running(which is a bad idea in my opinion).
I run it at the 6" setting with 35's. If that's too tall go with the RCD 6" which is really on a 5". The part number are the same on the Rancho and the RCD and the RCD comes with better shocks.
Here's a few pics:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495progress2-med.JPG
Here's the front shock set-up, I went with the Kings not the bypass shocks shown
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495shockhoops-med.JPG
Just my $.02,
Chris