PDA

View Full Version : Preventing reversion?

Miguel
04-11-2002, 05:07 AM
I wanted to know how can you prevent reversion from taking place, other than changing a cam? Does reversion take place only in injected header applications or can it happen in manifolds as well? I was thinking about installing those 3" spacers below the risers to create a shorter angle to help the water get out quicker. Anyone experienced this and fix it?

VitaminSea
04-12-2002, 09:31 AM
Miguel, I had a problem with CMI's and a Crane 941 cam. I had to extend the water jackets in the tail pipes so that the water is not injected into the exhaust till just before it leaves the tips. I can set a beer can (Silver of course) in the exhaust and it will balance there at idle. I never had a problem with the stock mercruiser risers as I did not have the cam in the engine. Cliff

lghtnin33
04-12-2002, 03:40 PM
miguel, correct me if i'm wrong but you are running a small block ford,if you check into the cam designs that were installed in most of the small block fords they have a negative overlap built into the bump stick so that there is minimal if no chance of reversion, also good for low end torque just no rpms behind it.

waterbum
04-12-2002, 05:05 PM
Because of the overlap built into the cam I ran in my 383 stroker I had to have CMI build me a set of offshore style tailpipes.The offshore pipes are fully water jacketed to the end and they extend 6 inches to the outside of the transom eliminating the need for exhaust tips.The cooling water and exhaust never mix,end of problem. Bum