PDA

View Full Version : 496 MAG HO 425 HP Vs. 525 HP EFI 500 HP

MR HARLEY
08-16-2005, 01:18 PM
Should I spend the extra 15 grand for 75 horsepower ? Or are there systems out there that I can do afterward such as a Bolt on the HO 496.
I dont want to have the boat lug while full of people, ice chests and gas while pulling skiers , thats one of my main concerns among other things I am not aware of yet .
What are the Pros and Cons ?
The motor is going in is a 28' Advantage Party Cat .

dicudmore
08-16-2005, 01:34 PM
for the 28 you'd better get AT LEAST the 525...
remember too, part of that 15 grand is the upgrade from the Bravo1X (HO) to the XR (525) and headers...
28'er with a 496 will be BORING at best

phebus
08-16-2005, 01:41 PM
I would also ask the dealer if the upgrade includes hydraulic steering. A lot of times the upgrade price is a package deal, and the 525 needs the steering upgrade. I would definately go with the bigger motor, that is a big heavy boat, that will carry a heavy load of people and gear.

phebus
08-16-2005, 01:44 PM
I would also compare insurance costs before making a decision.

MR HARLEY
08-16-2005, 01:44 PM
for the 28 you'd better get AT LEAST the 525...
remember too, part of that 15 grand is the upgrade from the Bravo1X (HO) to the XR (525) and headers...
28'er with a 496 will be BORING at best
Yeah its a 15 grand jump from the already 7 grand invested into the HO 496..**Shakes Head **
Should'nt be a tuff decision right ?
Phebus ,
Yes the Hydralic steering is being upgraded also, but is not included in the price . $ 3600 dollar upgrade , and I will check on the insurance , thanks for the tip .

dicudmore
08-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Yeah its a 15 grand jump from the already 7 grand invested into the HO 496..**Shakes Head **
Phebus ,
Yes the Hydralic steering is being upgraded also, but is not included in the price . $ 3600 dollar upgrade , and I will check on the insurance , thanks for the tip .
its definitely staggering...
I really believe though that you wouldn't be happy with the HO in that 28'

Kilrtoy
08-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Phebus ,
You lost me, what motor does that boat come with.....7K upgrade for a 496......You are getting screwed..

MR HARLEY
08-16-2005, 02:10 PM
You lost me, what motor does that boat come with.....7K upgrade for a 496......You are getting screwed..
7 grand to go from a 6.2 (Stock motor given in the 28') to the HO 496 .. thats cost from Mercury .
15 grand from there to go to the 525 ....all prices are cost from Mercury
Breakdown as to what info was givin to me from Advantage
6.2 comes with the boat
496 Mag =3000 upgrade
HO 496=additional 4000
525= additional 15 grand from the already 7 grand jump from stock .

Kilrtoy
08-16-2005, 02:18 PM
7 grand to go from a 6.2 (Stock motor given in the 28') to the HO 496 .. thats cost from Mercury .
15 grand from there to go to the 525 ....all prices are cost from Mercury
Breakdown as to what info was givin to me from Advantage
6.2 comes with the boat
496 Mag =3000 upgrade
HO 496=additional 4000
525= additional 15 grand from the already 7 grand jump from stock .
I cant beleive that boat comes with a 6.2..... that is like putting a 4 cylinder in a corvette...
tell them to throw the 496 mag in and then its a 3K upgrade to the HO and then its 15 from there....
tell them to stop bending you over...
BUT I AGREE, you can not go any smaller than a 525
your upgrade is 18k from the mag and tell them to take it or you'll leave it....

BoatPI
08-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Would the 6.2 even get the boat on plane? that heavy boat needs HP, but checkout insurance!

MR HARLEY
08-16-2005, 02:37 PM
I cant beleive that boat comes with a 6.2..... that is like putting a 4 cylinder in a corvette...
tell them to throw the 496 mag in and then its a 3K upgrade to the HO and then its 15 from there....
tell them to stop bending you over...
BUT I AGREE, you can not go any smaller than a 525
your upgrade is 18k from the mag and tell them to take it or you'll leave it....
Yup bent over with no spit, But I cant really do anything about it cause its thier cost price , no mark-up . :frown:
but
I did get the boat at cost instead of paying retail , so it helps out there ...

MONEYFURNOTHIN
08-16-2005, 02:37 PM
so let me get this straight. you have a b-cup right now and you want to go to a c-cup. thats great but you will be kicking yourself at the sandbar when you see all those beautifull d-cups! i say your paying for the surgery, just make the jump straight to the d-cups, you will save money in the long run when you dont have to go back in for another surgery! :rollside:

Kilrtoy
08-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Yup bent over with no spit, But I cant really do anything about it cause its thier cost price , no mark-up . :frown:
tell them to throw the 496 in......trust me they arent losing anything....

MR HARLEY
08-16-2005, 02:42 PM
so let me get this straight. you have a b-cup right now and you want to go to a c-cup. thats great but you will be kicking yourself at the sandbar when you see all those beautifull d-cups! i say your paying for the surgery, just make the jump straight to the d-cups, you will save money in the long run when you dont have to go back in for another surgery! :rollside:
I hear ya , Crystal Clear :cool:
~Kilrtoy~
Your right they arent losing squat, and I will at least ask them to upgrade for me at no charge <-------(fat chance) But here's to Hopeing !!

Kilrtoy
08-16-2005, 02:49 PM
I hear ya , Crystal Clear :cool:
~Kilrtoy~
Your right they arent losing squat, and I will at least ask them to upgrade for me at no charge <-------(fat chance) But here's to Hopeing !!
every other boat dealer with the exception of one, when it comes to boats in that class/size COME STANDARD with a 496 mag....

Not So Fast
08-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Should I spend the extra 15 grand for 75 horsepower ? Or are there systems out there that I can do afterward such as a Bolt on the HO 496.
I dont want to have the boat lug while full of people, ice chests and gas while pulling skiers , thats one of my main concerns among other things I am not aware of yet .
What are the Pros and Cons ?
The motor is going in is a 28' Advantage Party Cat .
IF it is in your budget and you can get the 525, XR drive and steering for $15K, JUMP ON IT, take it from one who knows but "CHECK OUT INSURANCE $$$" as stated. OH,and dont be stupid and lie about it. JMO :rolleyes: NSF

MR HARLEY
08-16-2005, 03:03 PM
IF it is in your budget and you can get the 525, XR drive and steering for $15K, JUMP ON IT, take it from one who knows but "CHECK OUT INSURANCE $$$" as stated. OH,and dont be stupid and lie about it. JMO :rolleyes: NSF
No worries I hate liars ...and I am def. gonna check on the insurance ...
It was 870 a year with Allstate with a 496 Ho ...Not bad Huh ?

Dave C
08-16-2005, 03:28 PM
get the 496 HO and upgrade to an XR drive.
if its is not fast enough for you, buy the Raylar kit. www.raylarengine.com
he has two flavors to choose from :)

voodoomedman
08-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Ummmmmmm. If I'm not mistaken then just upgrade to the XR drive and still save your money on the HO itself when going this option. You will be replacing anything that is different on the HO from the Mag anyway. And make sure to get a boatbling cover since it won't be just a standard Mag anymore.

Not So Fast
08-16-2005, 03:39 PM
No worries I hate liars ...and I am def. gonna check on the insurance ...
It was 870 a year with Allstate with a 496 Ho ...Not bad Huh ?
Too high IMO :frown: NSF

Kilrtoy
08-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Too high IMO :frown: NSF
hell I pay that in two months....

Partycattin
08-16-2005, 03:49 PM
My buddy just put the Raylar kit on his 496 mag. Raylar told him that the only difference between the 496 mag and 496 HO is the cam and computer. The computer cost about $500 and the cam is not much more. I guess the rest of the $3000. upgrade must be for the drive.
The 496 Mag with Raylar puts out somewhere near 525 ponies.
From my experience, Advantages are slower than most other comparable boats, get as much motor as you can.
Another friend has a 28 Party cat with a 502. The boat goes pretty well but he often says that it could use a little more. The 502 is basically stock except for MSD ignition and Imco Exhaust. He put 30's on the Bravo 3 and couldn't make it to 60 mph.
My Partycat 22 with a 454 struggles to get 50 mph. I would love to have 525 hp that would get it out of the water quicker and cruise at 50.

JB in so cal
08-16-2005, 03:57 PM
What's the speed diff. going to be? 496 HO to a 525? For $15k, you're going to get, what 7-8 mph more?
How are you going to be loaded? Decks fill up quick and coolers weigh, well like coolers.
Warranty issues; I don't think you can extend a blue motor.
How's that for sitting on both sides of the fence??? :D
J sometimeswishinghehadjumpedtoabluemotor B

cdog
08-16-2005, 04:01 PM
I agree with this one. Do the HO and a XR drive. Upgrade to a raylar kit later.

Kilrtoy
08-16-2005, 04:30 PM
What's the speed diff. going to be? 496 HO to a 525? For $15k, you're going to get, what 7-8 mph more?
How are you going to be loaded? Decks fill up quick and coolers weigh, well like coolers.
Warranty issues; I don't think you can extend a blue motor.
How's that for sitting on both sides of the fence??? :D
J sometimeswishinghehadjumpedtoabluemotor B
That 7 to 8 makes a world of differance bewtween a boat going 65 and 57 fully loaded....
it sucks getting passed on the water, especially by jet skis

Burley1
08-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Just buy a E-Ticket Deck and the 496's work fine, I am going to order one with HO's

BADASS38CHEVY
08-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Phebus ,
3600.00 upgrade is way to much unless it is full hydralic steerring to helm.My duel imco was 2800.00 but was not to helm.

Creator
08-16-2005, 05:02 PM
No one has mentioned the internals of the engine! With the 525 your getting all the good stuff, Much stronger engine than any of the 496's. You can run a 525 flat out all day long, bounce it off the rev limiter and never have a problem. You're basically getting a race engine with the 525, you're just getting a glorified truck motor with the 496. Also in the future if you really want that boat to move you can slap on a procharger or a whipple with no worries, can't say that about the 496.

Not So Fast
08-16-2005, 05:22 PM
hell I pay that in two months....
DCB w/TWINS and good looking women, please stop complaining!! :D :D NSF

mmered8299
08-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Wouldn't a better route be installing an XR Drive and buying an aftermarket 600Hp Carburated Motor? I'm not too crazy about fuel injected, computer, ECM, wire harnesses. When I'm out on the lake and there is a problem? Check spark, check fuel, and go from there. You better bring a laptop computer with you if you want to know whats wrong with your Mercrusier.

mike37
08-16-2005, 05:50 PM
can you say Teage motor thats what I would do

mmered8299
08-16-2005, 05:57 PM
can you say Teage motor thats what I would do
When I was at the boat show this year there were a half dozen of gus building some nice looking motors.

rvrhlic
08-16-2005, 05:58 PM
Trust me on this one.... Get as much as you can in the beginning you are just going to want more anyway. Also, once you start messing with the stock merc stuff you can have issues.

Kilrtoy
08-16-2005, 06:03 PM
What is amazing is how many people say buy the small stuff, I guess they dont want to be the only slow ones on the lake...
NOBODY BUYS A LITTLE ENGINE BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE ASPIRING FOR...
When it comes to boats use this rule.....
buy as much as you can afford, then buy one step after that....
You will regret a small engine, I MEAN REGRET A SMALL ENGINE...
525 is a good starting place, but I would go bigger....

TPI
08-16-2005, 06:05 PM
This is a no brainer. If your ONLY choice is a 496 or 525, BUY THE 525! 90% of ALL customers under power their boat when its being built because of STICKER SHOCK! But they will spend a ridiculous amount a year later trying to upgrade their motor that wasnt designed to be upgraded. It is a fact, and it happens all year long. Find a way to swing it financially and dont look back. You will be much happier(IMO).

TCHB
08-16-2005, 06:21 PM
How much does it help in the resale market?

phebus
08-16-2005, 06:25 PM
What does it cost to upgrade to an Ilmor package?

Creator
08-16-2005, 06:25 PM
How much does it help in the resale market?
Engine is everything, Find me a boat that carries a high resale value with no motor, The better the engine the higher the resale. In todays market a good engine cost as much or more than the boat itself.

TCHB
08-16-2005, 06:29 PM
I just looked in the Boatrader and it seems like the 525 gets about $5K at best on used boats.

Kilrtoy
08-16-2005, 06:33 PM
I just looked in the Boatrader and it seems like the 525 gets about $5K at best on used boats.
That would depend on the manufacture of the boat.....

plaster dave
08-16-2005, 06:34 PM
I would call teague and ask for a motor price.

ECeptor
08-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Screw the over priced, underperforming Merc engines. Buy the boat sans power and have Infomaniac build you up a killer engine for a fraction of what you are talking about paying!

jailbird141
08-17-2005, 05:09 AM
Harley,
I have a 26' Laveycraft. I went with the 496 HO because of the price jump to the 525. I thought there was no way I could justify spending that much more. I regret it everyday I am on the water. The 496 is a good motor, but after a while you will definitely be wishing you had that extra power. Suck it up and spend the extra cash now, or regret it later. That's my 2 cents.

TPI
08-17-2005, 05:32 AM
Here is where I am confused? The price difference of these two motor packages is approx $10K. With that being said, If it is a $15K jump up to the 525 from the 496, then it sounds like there is more motor profit for the bigger motor(another 50%?) Didnt the 496 already have a little bit of mark up in it? Why not just sell the 525 for the actual increased amount, and leave the mark up the same from the 496? The only thing I can think of is they are feeling like the installation of the 525 is more time consuming? Also, Unless they are last years model, I think all new Mercruiser 496's and up come with an XR now. Good luck..........................Sure you dont want a Howard 28 Bullet with a TPI 700 EFI?
Get them to give you a break on that 525, its a nice motor.

shadow
08-17-2005, 06:22 AM
[QUOTE=GT]..........................Sure you dont want a Howard 28 Bullet with a TPI 700 EFI?
Not sure i don't want one.
GT,is there much space under the bow of the 28Bullet?Got ant pics?

dicudmore
08-17-2005, 06:38 AM
[QUOTE=GT]..........................Sure you dont want a Howard 28 Bullet with a TPI 700 EFI?
Not sure i don't want one.
GT,is there much space under the bow of the 28Bullet?Got ant pics?
Darrell....that's a F'in V-bottom :hammer2:
IMO, an AWESOME V-bottom, but still a V-bottom...

TPI
08-17-2005, 07:40 AM
Shadow..............I dont want to be a hijacker, if your serious I will pm you a pick, but it is an F'N V-bottom.

dicudmore
08-17-2005, 07:50 AM
Shadow..............I dont want to be a hijacker, if your serious I will pm you a pick, but it is an F'N V-bottom.
Gary go ahead and send him a pic...I heard a rumor he was thinking of converting back to a V, and that Bullet sure is a nice one...esp w/a 900 :D

MR HARLEY
08-17-2005, 07:52 AM
You guys are GREAT!!! Thank you all for the info from both sides of the fence. I wish I could Mulitiple quote you guys but I dont know if that feature is available on this board and or I havent learned how to use it here .
so Ill do my best to respond to the questions .
Dave C ~
Thanks for the idea .
Burley-
Would love to go to E-Ticket boats , but My brother does not like the design :(
JB-
Good Looking out .
Badasschevy~
Yes the upgrade @3600 is for the Full hydralics
Creator~
Good advice I will take into consideration .
rvrhlic~
Thats exactly what I needed to hear .
This is a funny quote :cool:
What is amazing is how many people say buy the small stuff, I guess they dont want to be the only slow ones on the lake...
GT~
Appreciate it Sir .
Jailbird~
Lavy's are nice , that was actually my first choice , but Again my brother did not like the design. Although I do appreciate the comparison and this will also be taken into consideration in the final stages of the boat .
I think Im pretty much set on going with the 525 , the capitol is there and a commitment is def. in the works on it .
Thanks Guys and Gals!!

Deano
08-17-2005, 08:04 AM
I dont even think you would be happy with a blue motor in that slug...take it from me, I have a p/cat.
Make sure you upgrade your sticks too...they bend when you have both feet pushing.
If I was going to buy another deck, it would definetely be the new Howard or Trident.