PDA

View Full Version : bigger single engine cats

DogHouse
04-25-2002, 03:27 PM
I've been looking around at single engine cats with some extra room for the family. I will want an open bow/mid cabin arrangement (as the purests gasp in horror!) with a little more freeboard and under-deck height than a 25 Daytona or similar. I like the 27 Lavey, 27 Ultra, and 28 Magic. I really like the lines of the Ultra but not the wood floor. The Magic has good lines too, a great full swim deck, glass inner liner, and a good price. The Lavey has a better construction (lots of balsa and vacuum bagging) than the other two but the lines don't do much for me. I'll be using my current n/a 588, a bit over 750hp. Anything over 90 would be fine, but also want a good dry ride in rough water (like Powell). Any other models I might want to look at or comments from owners? Thanks!
-brian

roln 20s
04-25-2002, 05:23 PM
Those all are nice boats, but it seems to me that the best boat I have seen to fit your requirements would be the Ultra Cat. It has a lot of freeboard and space, however I think that an open bow Laveycraft cat would be awesome, and you are right- the construction is top quality with the balsa and vacuum bagging. The Lavey ran almost 90mph with the 575 SCI(550 hp), you should be near the 100mph mark. The recent gel-coat work I have seen on the Lavey is awesome, totally top quality. My overall advice since all are nice boats, see what kind of deal you can get and ride in them- best of luck!
Roln 20s

DogHouse
04-26-2002, 08:56 AM
Yeah I love the looks and size of the Ultra but the wood floor has me a little turned off. This will likely be my "final" boat for a long time, so it has to last. One other boat I thought of is the 28 Daytona LP. That should run ok on a single motor. Anyone been in one of these? Is there more headroom under deck than the 25?
-brian

NO4NBRI
04-26-2002, 09:33 AM
DogHouse:
You and me have a similar situation. I am also looking for a single engine cat 25' or over. Originally I went to the Eliminator dealer and was ready to buy a 25' Daytona. I am glad I held off. I went to the LA Boat show and also looked at the Ultra Cat, the Magic 28' cat, Advantage 28' cat and the 25' Daytona. After seeing all the boats at the show, I realized that the Daytona really didn't have a lot of free board compared to he others. These boats still drive very well over the chop. I really liked the Ultra, but for me, the price was a little discouraging, and I think it was a little heavier than the other boats I looked at. My previous boat was an Ultra 22' Stealth, it was a great boat, but it just didn't handle the big water at all. I am currently boat less and it's driving me crazy. I think you should take a closer look at the Magic and the Advantage. I recently went out to Havasu and Magic was having "Demo Days" me and a buddy went and took the 28' cat out for a hot lap. It was a really nice boat; it handled extremely well over all the 2-3' chop. I was extremely impressed to say the least. I have never driven a cat before, but I really liked it. I have another trip planned to Havasu to take the Advantage out for a hot lap. After driving both, I will probably make my final decision. I have heard a lot of good feed back for both the Magic and the Advantage. Good luck, boat buying is an expensive pain in the ass!

DogHouse
04-26-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by NO4NBRI:
Good luck, boat buying is an expensive pain in the ass!
Ah yes, but a FUN pain in the ass nonetheless!!! Magic demo days is here in Phx next weekend. Trying to set something up for that. Maybe not a good idea, now I'll be seriously jonesin' until I can scrape together the necessary cash!
Side note, I talked to Eliminator today about their 28 LP. Their price wasn't too bad, only $25k more than everybody else... I don't think so! Yeah they said they'd "deal" when I get there but f_ck that, don't need the aggravation!
That Magic is lookin' mighty good.
-brian

wavejumppin
05-08-2002, 08:13 AM
HTM's SR-24 probably has more room than any of those, but if not they do have the 30' available now.

burtandnancy
05-08-2002, 09:05 AM
doghouse, NO4NBRI,
Your first idea's were the best, the Daytona 28 tall side. Its an outstanding single engine cat with great cockpit room. I'm not a fan of bow riders, but to each his own. Think balance, think ride quality, think windburn...

cougar27mtr
05-08-2002, 09:27 AM
DogHouse... I was in your situation about 5 months ago. Looked at all of them and liked them all. Then a buddy of mine reminded me of a company called cougar boats. http://www.cougarboats.com Now I own one with open bow single engine 496 HO. The boat planes fast and runs mid 70's on 425 HP. So you should be close to running 90's with your setup. I will be out for memorial weekend if you want to drop me a line I will be happy to show it to you ... I am talking so highly about the boat because the quality and craftmanship is excellent. They build everything in there shop all the way down to the trailer. The downfalls are they are in canada and you never get to visit like you would if you were purchasing a boat near you. I sent cameras and they took lots of picture. I would think you could pick one up less angine for 56,000.00 or so. Give it a shot.. Just my .02 about my boat.. I love it!
cougar27mtr

DogHouse
05-08-2002, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys for the responses. I like all the boats mentioned very much but a lot of factors are pushing me towards a Magic. Going in today to see what they'll do on my trade. That will be a big factor in the decision. Nice that they're local here in AZ. Sounds wierd when shopping for a high perf cat, but the big swim deck is another key factor for us. Lucky for all of us there are so many great boats out there to choose from, something to suit everyone!
-brian

burtandnancy
05-08-2002, 10:00 AM
dog,
eliminator has a factory in Lake Havasu also.

cougar27mtr
05-08-2002, 10:01 AM
Hey Brian ,
Good luck in whatever you choose and post a picture or two as the progress goes along. It will be a fun feeling maybe a little stressfull.
cougar27mtr
[This message has been edited by cougar27mtr (edited May 08, 2002).]

mikey
05-08-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by DogHouse:
Ah yes, but a FUN pain in the ass nonetheless!!! Magic demo days is here in Phx next weekend. Trying to set something up for that. Maybe not a good idea, now I'll be seriously jonesin' until I can scrape together the necessary cash!
Side note, I talked to Eliminator today about their 28 LP. Their price wasn't too bad, only $25k more than everybody else... I don't think so! Yeah they said they'd "deal" when I get there but f_ck that, don't need the aggravation!
That Magic is lookin' mighty good.
-brian
Brian,
Our sales people only give the sugested retail over the phone. They do not know who is calling or from what area. We have a dealer network and they all have a protected area. We get calls all the time from one of our dealers customers trying to work us againest the dealer. We do have some good deals on 28 LP Daytonas in stock. Have you looked at the 28 tall deck? It offers more cabin headroom and freeboard.
Mike
Eliminator Boats

DogHouse
05-08-2002, 12:38 PM
Hi Mike,
Didn't mean that post as a slam on you guys, sorry if it came off that way. You guys make great boats but the prices are up there. I'm seriously pushing my comfort zone here so price is a big factor. I figure everyone starts high and will deal down, but if one company starts significantly higher than the others then the best I could do is get that one down close to the starting point for the others. Yeah the original 28 is very nice but it takes a lot more power than I've got to get it moving up near the century mark.
thanks,
-brian

Craig
05-08-2002, 03:04 PM
Brian, I know what you mean about the power needed with the bigger single engine cat. I wonder what it'd take to push a 28LP into the 90's on a regular basis. Then there's the issue of that kind of power and a heavier boat going through a Bravo http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif
Craig

playdeep
05-08-2002, 06:54 PM
Criag,A friend of mine bought Wayne Minors 28 Eliminator tall deck.(it was the one that sat in front of Conquest boats in havasu).He dropped in a 502 crate motor(carb)w/IMCO powerflow exhausts.He was in havasu to watch the poker run and said that he was running 70-72mph with two people and a bunch of fuel.

wazzn me
05-13-2002, 09:26 AM
Hay What about HTM... It sounds like a SR-24 fits all your needs! I drove at MEAD in the most EXTREME S__T you would ever see.
Wind was 40 constant with 60 gusts, 4' white caps with 6' mixed in. 55 MPH level trim, fantastic ride head on, and even better following. A slow pain in the ass to come about was to be expected but O MY GOD what a ride. Open bow, four people, 1/2 tanks Witnesses available on request.
July 27th 1999 during a late season thunder storm that was going down at the far end near Temple Bar.

wazzn me
05-13-2002, 09:45 AM
By the way Lia at HTM is building the same boat. Remember.. she is the woman thats been standing behind the successful man every step of the way and all the people thet were building the boats before, are still doing the same job today. I would say that the boat is even better now! They can focus on what they know rather than spending so much time on the R&D of the 30 footer that Steve was working to perfect.
Remember Advantage Boats. Harry got them where they are today. They are building the same great boats.
All aspects of HTM are now up and running including Barstow.
Good Luck

DogHouse
05-14-2002, 04:17 PM
Wazznme, 4-6 footers at Mead, yuk, what a sloppy mess! I guess these cats can handle some ugly water.
I've been working with Jack over at Magic. He's come up with some numbers I can live with and will take my Cheetah in trade. They can do the engine swap for me and I don't have to lift a finger. Might be time to do this...
-brian http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif

Craig
05-14-2002, 05:35 PM
oh oh, sounds like another bad kitty might be hittin' the local Phoenix lakes http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

DogHouse
05-14-2002, 06:50 PM
Spending money always seems like such a great idea at the time!
Don't know how "bad" this one will be... Compared to you serious triple digit boys, mine will be tame. After all, this is my "family" boat! 588 cubes will sound nasty with that big roller cam and exhaust reverberating out of the swim deck though. Oh well if you can't be fast might as well sound fast. This one will not be called "DogHouse". Guess I'll have to come up with a new screen name. Maybe I'll try something original like "Brian".
-brian http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

DogHouse
05-20-2002, 05:54 PM
Well I did it. I'm officially boatless. Dropped the Cheetah off today, signed it over, and ordered the Magic Cat. Should be done in a couple months. Gonna be a long dry spell!
-brian

B-rad502
05-20-2002, 07:04 PM
Congrats, that's awesome! Did you buy through Jack?? Send me an e-mail and let me know how everything went and the details of the new one. cep_bd@yahoo.com
Brad http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
Originally posted by DogHouse:
Well I did it. I'm officially boatless. Dropped the Cheetah off today, signed it over, and ordered the Magic Cat. Should be done in a couple months. Gonna be a long dry spell!
-brian

catnaround
05-20-2002, 08:29 PM
Congrats on the new purchase. My dad also bought a Magic Cat. I think you will enjoy it. Gives a good ride and is pretty quick. What engine option did you go with. there is a 500 in his. Have seen 85 buy the speedo but it is off by 5 mph or a little more. So I am saying 78-80 and that is full of fuel.
Have fun.

DogHouse
05-20-2002, 10:42 PM
Ordered the boat with the base 496. They're going to swap motors with my trade so the Magic will end up with over 760hp. Should run ok... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Brad, I sent you an email with the details. Jack has been great so far.
-brian

Craig
05-21-2002, 04:06 AM
Hey Brian, did you change e-mail addresses lately? I tried sending you one and it came back.
Congrat's on the new boat. It'll be worth the wait. I'd give up a couple of mph for 4 or 5 more feet http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif, especially after the butt kicking we took out on Pleasant Sunday, damn, it was rough.
Craig
[This message has been edited by Craig (edited May 21, 2002).]
[This message has been edited by Craig (edited May 21, 2002).]

DogHouse
05-21-2002, 06:08 AM
Craig, we were @home.com and that changed to @cox.net. My profile on the board here is up to date, the one over at AHBA may not be. It'll be interesting to see if the 28 is slower than the 23. I suspect that it will actually be faster on top because of the full cat configuration and higher drive height. We'll see!
-brian