PDA

View Full Version : Don't Turn All Those Old Lavey's, Barron's And Bezer's Into Lake Boats Yet!!

Dave Sammons
12-30-2005, 11:45 AM
Got copied on this letter that was sent to the APBA. Writer makes some good points. Of course, his letter has a few questions that need to be answered and worked out like: is 85-90mph realistic with 385hp? Would think more in the mid to high 70's with a light boat...How manageable will it be to drive ON the rev-limiter the length of the chute...With our short chute's and single pin turns on the west coast, 1:09's I guess would be the gear...What would the "BIG" name engine builders charge to "blueprint" one of these ZZ4'S for a "bucks-up" guy that wanted to run the class? Could the rev-limiter truly be the equalizer? In the end though, I appreciate his thought process and desire to build flatbottom circle racing from the ground up. Yes, the Nostalgia Flat and Endurance classes are helping to do this on the West Coast, but, it is not the cure-all. Pretty sure that grass roots SCCA, Nascar and most local Sprint Car Associations have adopted similar combinations to build interest. In my conversations with Ross Wallach of the SCSC/APBA, he has always been open to looking at new classes as long as he can expect at least 5 boats at each event...Thoughts?????
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5187eboat.jpg

dmontzsta
12-30-2005, 12:15 PM
There they go...leaving the Ford out again. :220v:

MikeF
12-30-2005, 01:10 PM
New short,skinny, and LIGHT flats could be made w/ today's materials and would fly. They could start by splashing the Starfire's. :220v: :boxed:

MikeF
12-30-2005, 01:19 PM
To make an old raceboat a "raceworthy" 1500#'s would be difficult at best.
Other than that, I REALLY like the idea. :cool:

Dave Sammons
12-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Here's the specs:
cubic inches: 350 Cubic Inches
liters: 5.7 Liters
horsepower: 355 Horsepower @ 5,250 RPM
torque: 405 ft/lbs @ 3500 RPM
compression ratio: 10.0 to 1
block: 4-bolt, cast iron, 4.000" bore
crankshaft: Forged Steel, 3.480" stroke
pistons: Hypereutectic
head, chamber size: Aluminum, 58cc chamber
valve sizes (i/e): 1.940" / 1.500"
camshaft lift (i/e): 0.474" / 0.510" hydraulic roller
cam duration (i/e): 208 / 221 degrees @ 0.050 lift
price: $4095
Mike...you got the right idea, lightboats/light motors could be some fun! :rollside: :rollside:

coolchange
12-30-2005, 02:45 PM
1500# for an aluminum head small block boat? Sounds kinda dull with a bunch of 6800 rpm possible motors runnin on the limiter at 5250. Seems like a new market for 1000cfm 650 Holleys at 1500 a pop. How about restrictor plates instead of a limiter. Watchin a pack of "don't go over 85" hit the limit 50 yds out of the corner is really boring, must be worse drivin 'em. Buuutt... I like the idea of an entry level or budget class with an equilizer ($$$$$$).

WaterBox
12-31-2005, 07:52 AM
There they go...leaving the Ford out again. :220v:
Yea! And the MOPAR's Too. Racing with a speed limit, and rev-limiter's In a small CI. class? A bunch of crap, it is. :yuk:

WaterBox
12-31-2005, 08:06 AM
QUOTE=MikeF]New short,skinny, and LIGHT flats could be made w/ today's materials and would fly. They could start by splashing the Starfire's. :220v: :boxed:[/QUOTE]
Well there ya go! throwing the big Buck'$ into it. [ I assume that you are talking about today's materials as carbon fiber.] That's exactly what there trying to steer away from. Big $$$$$$$.

MikeF
12-31-2005, 08:45 AM
New short,skinny, and LIGHT flats could be made w/ today's materials and would fly. They could start by splashing the Starfire's. :220v: :boxed:
Well there ya go! throwing the big Buck'$ into it. [ I assume that you are talking about today's materials as carbon fiber.] That's exactly what there trying to steer away from. Big $$$$$$$.
By the way, I don't make the rules. Mine is only an opinion.
When you get walked away from on all straights and every turn, you are gonna want the boat that is in front of you, hence, you start off w/ the best stuff available. Then again, if you are just racing for fun, you can go out there w/ what you have already and you have found a place to play........just don't get in the way of those who want to be in front. :crossx:
Another opinion, It would not good to rev limit them and run on the limiter the whole race. Very dirty. No way to get rid of the hydrocarbons. They should be electronic f.i., then the injectors could be shut off instead of the spark. Just food for thought. :idea:

superdave013
12-31-2005, 08:46 AM
QUOTE=MikeF]New short,skinny, and LIGHT flats could be made w/ today's materials and would fly. They could start by splashing the Starfire's. :220v: :boxed:
Well there ya go! throwing the big Buck'$ into it. [ I assume that you are talking about today's materials as carbon fiber.] That's exactly what there trying to steer away from. Big $$$$$$$.[/QUOTE]
You can spend as much as you want. Just don't go over the speed limit.
At least that's how I read it.
I like the idea. Kinda like a spec truck.

LeE ss13
12-31-2005, 08:51 AM
We already got the Nostalgic Flatbottom class with just an 80 mph speed limit. Run any boat or any engine you want, just keep it under 80. I don't think you can get much cheaper than that. It's all up to the driver which makes it a real Driver's Race. And talk about a variety of boats. If we went with the APBA proposal, in 3 years you would have cookie cutter 350lb B boats with $4,000 crankshafts. (small blocks are famous for breaking the snout of the crank off when running of the front). Come out and watch one of these races. It is very competitive. Just my $.02

CircleJerk
12-31-2005, 03:57 PM
WELL, it's food for thought, but dont get excited you SBC guys living outside the Great Northwest....An insider told me that there isnt much chance for this to happen any day soon within APBA. Flatbottoms are unsafe and boring in their opinion and we dont want to make the hydroplane guys madder! They ARE required capsules, you know! However,,,,,
Nostalgia is at the forefront of discussion at most big pow wows since races are paid for by the registration fees ( since most boat races have little or no paying spectators now days) and boat count means everything to the poor guy trying to promote events and most importantly, pay the bills! Nostalgia, in case you have been living in your van by the river, is HOT with large entry numbers! Here, are some figures: We average 14 boats at five events in 2005! BUT....... More than one driver uses each boat so our average now hits 17 and this translates into $1000 CASH to pay the bills just from this ONE class! How many promoters would do just about anything to have a bonified $1000 dollar bill guaranteed for every race they put on?? Correct me if I am wrong but the southern Nostalgia group are getting the same numbers now (I count over 20 from their points list)
I dont want to sound over confident but,,,,,,we'll be around a few more years paying the Race bills! And having fun the affordable way.
E Class flats WILL be offered this year in the Northwest (under 360 cubes) so Fords and Mopars are welcome, if all goes well, now it will be interesting to see what comes out of the APBA January rules meeting. There may be an ERR boat in my future, we'll see.

dmontzsta
12-31-2005, 04:09 PM
Break out those 351s! :)

GofastRacer
12-31-2005, 08:56 PM
We already got the Nostalgic Flatbottom class with just an 80 mph speed limit. Run any boat or any engine you want, just keep it under 80. I don't think you can get much cheaper than that. It's all up to the driver which makes it a real Driver's Race. And talk about a variety of boats. If we went with the APBA proposal, in 3 years you would have cookie cutter 350lb B boats with $4,000 crankshafts. (small blocks are famous for breaking the snout of the crank off when running of the front). Come out and watch one of these races. It is very competitive. Just my $.02
I agree a 100% Larry!..