PDA

View Full Version : Motor problems 350 mag mpi

scarabrick2
08-17-2005, 05:19 PM
Well my buddy just changed out the batteries in his 2000 Hallett 210 and now it won't start. The boat was in indoor storage for the past yr and he decided to change the batteries as they were old/dead. Stock motor 350 mpi w/bravo. I charged the new batteries and checked all the connections to make sure they were correct. Put a timing light on it to check for spark and it HAS spark. opened up the throttle to see if any gas is going in but NO SIGN OF GAS. Is there a relay or breaker for thr fuel pump? The main breaker is pushed in and seems OK. I cracked the fuel line coming out of the fuel filter and NO GAS WAS PRESENT. Well it's time for some Help from my fellow Hot Boaters.

Biglue
08-17-2005, 05:23 PM
If it was sitting for a year, it's possible the gas went stale on him. Did he pour any of the preservers inthe tank before storing it?

riverroyal
08-17-2005, 05:25 PM
we had chilis last night

Beer-30
08-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Well my buddy just changed out the batteries in his 2000 Hallett 210 and now it won't start. The boat was in indoor storage for the past yr and he decided to change the batteries as they were old/dead. Stock motor 350 mpi w/bravo. I charged the new batteries and checked all the connections to make sure they were correct. Put a timing light on it to check for spark and it HAS spark. opened up the throttle to see if any gas is going in but NO SIGN OF GAS. Is there a relay or breaker for thr fuel pump? The main breaker is pushed in and seems OK. I cracked the fuel line coming out of the fuel filter and NO GAS WAS PRESENT. Well it's time for some Help from my fellow Hot Boaters.
Sounds like the fuel system dried out. Take the fuel line off from the tank switch, where it goes to feed the motor. Better yet, where that line goes into the fuel system (probably inlet of the pump). Put the line in a container. A glass jar is great. Have someone hold their hand over the fuel vent while you put a rag around the fuel neck opening and compress it with air from a compressor. See if you get fuel into the jar. Then, hook that back up, pull off the fuel filter, fill it with fuel - is probably dry. Close it all up and give it a shot.

Biglue
08-17-2005, 05:27 PM
we had chilis last night
Hook him up. :D :D :D

riverroyal
08-17-2005, 05:31 PM
is she new here,dont think ive ever seen her

Biglue
08-17-2005, 05:32 PM
This is what I would have suggested if I was not so busy eating Pad Thai. :D
I didn't know you "Brown Types" ate Thai. :D :D :D
How's it going SWB.
Sorry had to throw that one in. Now back to the ailing boat.

riverroyal
08-17-2005, 05:34 PM
with a name like bob???huh,im lost

riverroyal
08-17-2005, 05:35 PM
a happy ending with it?or is that another asian thingy im thinking of

Biglue
08-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Dude, Pad Thai is like Mexican food without refried beans. :D
What about totillas? :D :D :D :D

Beer-30
08-17-2005, 09:46 PM
So much for this thread! :)

upsman105
08-17-2005, 09:50 PM
After a year, I hope you drained the oil and poured fresh new oil in the top
before you turn it over. And probably best to do the same with the fuel.

atomickitn
08-17-2005, 09:52 PM
dude put the beans in the gas tank....... :hammerhea

scarabrick2
08-18-2005, 05:15 AM
Thanks for jacking a serious BOAT thread. Maybe I should have posted this BOAT topic elsewhere. For those of you that responded seriously THANKS and I'll try to presurize the system

laramysultra
08-18-2005, 05:51 AM
When you turn the key to the acc position (pre fire up) can you hear the fuel pump engaging. If you hear nothing check fuse 13. You may need to look at a wiring schematic to find it. This happened to me with a 350 mag when it was new in 99 , Good Luck

scarabrick2
08-18-2005, 05:54 AM
When you turn the key to the acc position (pre fire up) can you hear the fuel pump engaging. If you hear nothing check fuse 13. You may need to look at a wiring schematic to find it. This happened to me with a 350 mag when it was new in 99 , Good Luck
I listened for the fuel pump but didn't here anything..
I'll try and find a schematic and check the fuse.
Thanks for the info.

Dribble
08-18-2005, 05:57 AM
When I had my 350 mag it took a long time to start at the beginning of the season. I actually had to prime it a couple of times until the fuel reached the injectors.

scarabrick2
08-18-2005, 06:13 AM
When I had my 350 mag it took a long time to start at the beginning of the season. I actually had to prime it a couple of times until the fuel reached the injectors.
How did you go by PRIMING the system?
Thanks

HALLETT BOY
08-18-2005, 07:24 AM
If the fuel pump fuse is ok, turn the ignition key on and tap the fuel pump with a small hammer, it may have some build up inside and just need to be broken loose....

atomickitn
08-18-2005, 07:30 AM
Thanks
open the fuel filter and fill with fresh gas and marval mystry oil, to help lubricate the injectors, make sure the tanks have fuel in them also, and it would not hurt , to put some marval oil in the tanks also, thae turn the key to ign , a couple of times, befor you actualy start the engine, this should do the trick. good luck...

scarabrick2
08-18-2005, 07:31 AM
If the fuel pump fuse is ok, turn the ignition key on and tap the fuel pump with a small hammer, it may have some build up inside and just need to be broken loose....
Is the fuel pump fuse located on the pump below the odd bank (1,3,5,7)or is in under the dash somewhere?

Dribble
08-18-2005, 07:34 AM
Thanks
I squirted gas down the throttle body to keep the engine (and fuel pump) running long enough to pressurize the injectors.

Beer-30
08-18-2005, 07:35 AM
Thanks
Just how I posted earlier, silly. With the addition of marvel. Maybe the coolest way would be to take the inlet line loose to the fuel pump. use a funnel and pour marvel/fuel mix down to the pump. Turn key and see if it takes/pumps it. Fill filter with same.
I got to thinking about pressuring the tank like I mentioned. It might be easier to leave the fuel cap on, and pressurize the vent outlet on the side of the boat. The cap is sealed, so you would be compressing the only other open line of the tank. Might be easier.

riverroyal
08-18-2005, 07:39 AM
no more hi jacking for me,got carried away ;)

scarabrick2
08-18-2005, 07:40 AM
I'm going to give it a try tonight if time allows. Thanks for all the input so far.
Can't find where fuse 13 would be to check for power to the pump.
Anybody know the location?

scarabrick2
08-18-2005, 07:41 AM
no more hi jacking for me,got carried away ;)
It's all GOOD ;)

riverroyal
08-18-2005, 07:41 AM
see ya in havasu this weekend?

atomickitn
08-18-2005, 07:43 AM
Just how I posted earlier, silly. With the addition of marvel. Maybe the coolest way would be to take the inlet line loose to the fuel pump. use a funnel and pour marvel/fuel mix down to the pump. Turn key and see if it takes/pumps it. Fill filter with same.
I got to thinking about pressuring the tank like I mentioned. It might be easier to leave the fuel cap on, and pressurize the vent outlet on the side of the boat. The cap is sealed, so you would be compressing the only other open line of the tank. Might be easier.
by doing this you could make the anti syphen ball / check ball get stuck and posably cause other problems...

Beer-30
08-18-2005, 07:44 AM
I'm going to give it a try tonight if time allows. Thanks for all the input so far.
Can't say. All I have is the 496 manual, and I don't think it gets into that stuff anyway. That may be the FI or ECM manual.

atomickitn
08-18-2005, 07:47 AM
your fuel pump should come on with your ign in the on pos , at the pump should be a blk wire and a wht wire check with a tester to see if you have power when the key is on but you have to iol pressure to maintain the fuel pump in the on mode...

Beer-30
08-18-2005, 07:50 AM
your fuel pump should come on with your ign in the on pos , at the pump should be a blk wire and a wht wire check with a tester to see if you have power when the key is on but you have to iol pressure to maintain the fuel pump in the on mode...
Ah, yes, but only for a few seconds. He must catch it quickly if wanting to check power. The lack of oil pressure not allow it to run constant :)

scarabrick2
08-18-2005, 07:52 AM
You lost me with this. Are you saying I need to cycle the key switch every 5 sec or so to make the pump stay on? I think they cycle off when the pressure is at full pressure .right?

Beer-30
08-18-2005, 07:57 AM
You lost me with this. Are you saying I need to cycle the key switch every 5 sec or so to make the pump stay on? I think they cycle off when the pressure is at full pressure .right?
When you turn the key on, the pump kicks on for about 3-5 seconds. If no oil pressure, the ECM shuts it off till there is some. It gives the system enough pressure/fuel to fire and then oil pressure takes over. Yes, you would have to cycle on and off with key to test.

Beer-30
08-18-2005, 07:58 AM
This is incase of a crash. Engine quits, fuel pump quits and doesn't keep fueling a possible fire.