PDA

View Full Version : new chevy zz 502 crate motor, should I change oil pan?

bustbig
08-08-2003, 10:03 AM
I just purchased a zz502 crate engine with aluminum Edelbrock heads and roller cam assembly. I am going to install Crane gold series roller rockers that I salvaged from my previous motor and new valve covers. Does anyone know if I can use the stock 6 quart oil pan? Is anyone looking to sell a bigger one. And does anyone have any other suggestions about changes I should make before installing it.

230Stingray
08-08-2003, 11:43 AM
I'm running one. Do change the oilpan to a Merc 8 quart. I have 250 hours on mine with no problems

230Stingray
08-08-2003, 11:50 AM
Heres mine http://stingrayboats.com/graphics/userboats/PNYUS82RA797/nmXBza

Boozer
08-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Why are you going to reuse roller rockers? I understand that they are rollers and can be re-used for the most part but you just dropped a shit load of money for that motor. Don't you think you'd be wise to just spend a few extra bikes and buy a new set of roller rockers?
My car had rollers in it and I ALWAYS changed the roller rockers whenever I put a new cam in it. You are better safe then sorry.

502procharger
08-08-2003, 02:19 PM
i have a 9 quartmarine hp pan that was 400 new i will sell it for 200 used, i can get pictures if interested.
i also have a good used cam out of my 500hp if you have any interest $150.00 i dont have the spec's in front of me but i know it is a relitively aggressive cam but not to wild that you have to worrie about reversion.
[ August 08, 2003, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: 502procharger ]

bustbig
08-08-2003, 07:27 PM
502procharger:
i have a 9 quartmarine hp pan that was 400 new i will sell it for 200 used, i can get pictures if interested.
i also have a good used cam out of my 500hp if you have any interest $150.00 i dont have the spec's in front of me but i know it is a relitively aggressive cam but not to wild that you have to worrie about reversion. Do you think I need to change the cam? It came with a 110 roller cam that is supposedly designed or built by Crane for Chevy. Perhaps you would be able to explain it better? The pan sounds good, what condition is it in? Is it off a Mercruiser 500 hp? Also do you think reusing my Crane gold series roller rockers is a mistake? I was not aware that they wore out particularly fast, is there a significant risk of them doing serious damage? Thanks for your help.

502procharger
08-08-2003, 10:12 PM
as for the roller rockers i have no idea why you would change them especialy on a new motor. but i do know the cam is not made for marine application and the pan is to small to deal with a marine environment. 8-10 qu min. and a marine cam and brinze freeze plugs. also if it is a hei ign it needs to be switched over to a msd or thunderbolt at a min. great motor stock for a car, but needs a little changes for a marine motor. as always feel free to check with everyone else but i am sure most will agree. good luck and let me know if you want any other info. by the way i am shitfaced right now so dont hold the spelling against me. bc out

bustbig
08-09-2003, 07:33 AM
What kind of cam do you have for sale. What degree? And how much do you want for it? I would like to see the oil pan as well as learn a little more info on it. I am seing Canton 10 quart pans new for $350, but I really need to save $ after buying this motor and paying taxes in the same week.

502procharger
08-09-2003, 07:41 AM
i will get pictures and info on both on sunday or monday.

powerplay230
08-09-2003, 05:18 PM
One idea for oil pan is to call couple of marine shops in area that do rebuilding or repowering. Last year I bought same motor scoggins dickey and had to make most those changes to put it in the boat. Local engine guru here sold me a pan and the pickup that went with it for either $50 or $75 can't remember. Myself I wouldn't change the rockers on that motor if it is brand new, why take a chance for a possible increase of what 5 Hp?
Stingray230 Motor looks pretty sweet, did you ever run it with mercruisers exhaust before switching and if so what kind of differences did you see. Also are those Gil, Stainless Marines or whose???
Thanks,
Rich

bustbig
08-09-2003, 09:07 PM
OK OK three of you have recomended leaving the roller rockers alone so its a deal. I really have no idea about performance motors, that is perhaps the reason that Magic was able to rip me off so bad. But I am learning! Anyway I appreciate all of your help, so now my only concern is changing the cam, I already know I have to change the freeze plugs and oil pan, if I leave the cam should I still change the head gaskets?

powerplay230
08-09-2003, 09:55 PM
If you want to change cam's the mercury HP500 cam would seem the perfect choice, same power and designed for marine use. Huge thing to worry about is reversion, I have wasted a motor due to that... Head gaskets you need to find out what's on there,if not sure and running salt water Change them/ If I remember right after I changed mine I found out they would have been OK but better safe that sorry. If salt water what intake you using- make sure it has the brass lined water passages or that aluminum will disolve from the inside..GOOD LUCK and have fun with it.

230Stingray
08-09-2003, 10:13 PM
Drop down a few forum topics and you will find a thread by Dennis Moore. As he states in this thread, drop in this motor and run it. I think what you are worried about is the 110 degree cam lobe centerline on this crate motor. I have not had a problem with this cam! If you want to e-mail me I will give you a toll free # you can call and discuss this installation with me. It is a great motor option that does not cost a fortune My reason for buying a new MerCruiser pan was to keep the dipstick position the same as stock.
[ August 09, 2003, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: 230Stingray ]

SleekPanther
08-11-2003, 04:21 AM
I am running a ZZ502 that was installed this spring, the head gaskets and freeze plugs are good for marine use, stainless and brass. I installed an oil cooler after watching oil temps rise to the 300 degree mark, this was with a 10 qt. Milodon pan (Summit Racing). The 3" x 12" cooler brought the temps down by about 20 degrees at first but now after break in is more complete I'm now running about 240 degrees. Milodon pan is a pain to check level, the dipstick is threaded into the pan. I drilled and tapped the drain plug (HUGE plug) to accept the oil temp sender. If you didn't have a bunch of metal in your oil, I'd run those used rockers, stock is stamped steel.My engine (http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=25124&size=big&password=&sort=1&thecat=)
Good luck,
Paul

502procharger
08-11-2003, 11:44 AM
ok the cam is a comp cam XR300 HR10
248/254
560/580
the pan is a canton 18-300
9 qt marine pan.
350 for both, they are used but will work perfect and save you some cash.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1DSC04304.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1DSC04308.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1DSC04312-med.JPG

502procharger
08-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Bustbig,let me know if youhave any interest before i put them up on e-bay. Thanks

TX Daytona
08-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Bustbig,
Do your self a big favor. Buy the book"Big-Block Chevy Marine Performance, by Dennis Moore. Read it,you will be surprised how much you will learn.
Because someone has a 10 Qt. pan, for example, and
hasn't had any oiling trouble doesn't mean he would have had trouble with the stock pan. The issue of oil pans is addressed in the book, incidently, and you might be surprised at what he has to say. There is also a very good explanation of how to chose a cam. Trust me you will learn much. By the way I don't know if it is the same Dennis Moore that is in the forums or not.