PDA

View Full Version : flange bearing install

e-ticket
11-22-2002, 10:59 PM
What is the secret to installing flange bearing on rudder? They are both 1-1/8 but won't get together. :confused:

Rexone
11-22-2002, 11:09 PM
Many times the rudder shafts have been known to be slightly oversize, especially if they are chrome plated. Also key slots have been known to have burrs. Check it with a set of dial calipers if you have and see which is the problem. It's probably only a thou or two (which might as well be 1/8" when trying to install it). Depending on where the problem is you may get away with slightly sanding on the rudder shaft or honing the bearing. Measure them first though so you know where the problem is. Ideally it should be a slip fit by hand when everything is right.

e-ticket
11-22-2002, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the reply. I measured them, but I guess I didn't look to see which was larger, only that they were 1-1/8 rather than 1". Think I will sand down the rudder to match the bearing. Should be the easier way to go. The new tiller arm will go on easier also. It won't slide on easy now. Should I use any lube on these two parts?

Rexone
11-22-2002, 11:20 PM
Lube really shouldn't be necessary but it won't hurt anything. I'd measure first though with the calipers. We had some rudders come in a while back that were .010 big. No way in hell you're gonna sand anything close to that much off. Hope this is of help. :)

e-ticket
11-22-2002, 11:25 PM
Mike,
Is the outside part of the bearing (not the case) supposed to move at all to help with alignment of the bearing to the rudder?

Rexone
11-22-2002, 11:32 PM
The bearing part of the flange bearing (not the flange) normally does rotate some within the flange for alignment. Normally most of them are just a round bearing that's held into the flange with a snap ring arrangement. If you clamp the flange in a vice you should be able to move the bearing angle around somewhat if you have the kind of flange bearing I'm thinking of which is pretty common.

e-ticket
11-22-2002, 11:42 PM
Yeah, when I tried to put on, it moved a little from the original position. I guess I never noticed it on the other one I put on (years ago).
This dual helm steering has been quite a lesson. The last time I set up for v-drive installation was about 12 years ago.
Your help is very much appreciated! :cool:

Rexone
11-22-2002, 11:45 PM
No problem, any time. :)