PDA

View Full Version : Can it make it to Catalina (26' Deckboat)

Playbuoy
05-06-2006, 01:51 PM
I've searched the forums and found that some Catalina trips can be pretty brutal. The Santa Ana winds can really glass out the waters in late Spring, Summer, and Fall. What's your take on taking a 26' deckboat to Catalina. Any advice?

djunkie
05-06-2006, 01:56 PM
I wouldn't chance it. But thats me.

AZJD
05-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Nope.................

77charger
05-06-2006, 02:27 PM
I dont see why not alot of people think you need a bigger boat just to go there,We made it in mandelons 21 lavey easily.My dad and i use to go there fishing all the time in a 20ft boat too.You might not get to go 80mph there but you get there.

djunkie
05-06-2006, 02:32 PM
I dont see why not alot of people think you need a bigger boat just to go there,We made it in mandelons 21 lavey easily.My dad and i use to go there fishing all the time in a 20ft boat too.You might not get to go 80mph there but you get there.
The only thing I'd be worried about is taking water over the front. A small V-bottom has less of a chance of taking water over the bow.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
05-06-2006, 03:11 PM
I've searched the forums and found that some Catalina trips can be pretty brutal. The Santa Ana winds can really glass out the waters in late Spring, Summer, and Fall. What's your take on taking a 26' deckboat to Catalina. Any advice?
ROTFLMAO http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/161611276yb624_1_.gif

Beer-30
05-06-2006, 03:44 PM
The only thing I'd be worried about is taking water over the front. A small V-bottom has less of a chance of taking water over the bow.
Wouldn't the water just go back out of the deck the way it came in? Or, depending on the make, may just pass right through and leave a few fishies?

djunkie
05-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Wouldn't the water just go back out of the deck the way it came in? Or, depending on the make, may just pass right through and leave a few fishies?
I've been out on a day that looked to be nice and calm. Little did I know there was 6 ft. swells right outside the break wall. My 23 ft'er felt like a row boat. I turned right back around. I guarantee a conquest or magic style deck boat would have been swamped.

Wicky
05-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Made it to Catalina 178 times in a 17' Boston Whaler Montauk. Not just to the Island itself but, all the way around it to Ben Weston Pt., Bird Rock, Ribbon Rock, etc....
Made it to San Clemente and/or the Cortes bank at least 60 times in a 22' Whaler Outrage.
I definitely wouldn't be caught out there in a deck boat though. :crossx:

djunkie
05-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Made it to Catalina 178 times in a 17' Boston Whaler Montauk. Not just to the Island itself but, all the way around it to Ben Weston Pt., Bird Rock, Ribbon Rock, etc....
Made it to San Clemente and/or the Cortes bank at least 60 times in a 22' Whaler Outrage.
I've been twice in a 17' Boston Whaler myself. Those things are bad ass. And just about unsinkable. :rollside: :rollside:

77charger
05-06-2006, 04:38 PM
probaly powered by an o/b too :crossx: :boxed: Besides you can cut a whaler in half and it still floats

Flying Tiger
05-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Closed bow and high freeboard is the BFD.
I've crossed lots of times in 18's and 20's, high closed bow and lots of freeboard is the key. At least 50 crossings under my belt. We quit counting at 50.
Never felt length had much to do with it, nor do any of the regular channel crossing sailors that I know, other than you'll take the potholes a little better if longer.
See groups of Sea Doos out there crossing all the time, and it's a blast. Better the wide open ocean / channel for PWC's than lakes and rivers IMHO.
I pass Hobie cats, Guppie 13's, Sabats,, Boston whalers (scary) ect.
Ya leave at dawn both ways. At first lite ya head directly across.
Listen to the weather radio channel:
5 to 7 MPH winds w/3' swells is about max., though you will no doubt encounter a few 4 to 6' + swells.
You may be sliding down the back of one swell,, then you'll puncture the next swell at the bottom and hell will break loose if it catches ya ass high / bow low.
If you see any white caps don't leave the harbor.
With a bit of luck you may get glass all they way across,, but that's a crap shoot.
Don't know if I'd take a deckboat across.
If the Chubasco (San Pedro Channel winds n swells) kicks up you've got your hands full. Stab a swell,, I dunno,,,
I have seen them there though..
Watch the open containers and how waisted ya get, the LA Sheriffs are afloat and will DUI ya. Especially in Two Harbors. Happens all the time.

cola
05-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Faster Daddy brought this guy with them I think in Nov.04. They came from Oceanside, and they didn't leave the island till after 4 pm. They ran the last 10 or so miles in the dark.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1268103_0307_1.JPG

Playbuoy
05-06-2006, 10:42 PM
I was born and raised in San Clemente and see glass when the Santa Ana's come in...seems like that would be a good time to make a trip contingent that swells were small to flat.

BoaterX
05-06-2006, 11:58 PM
The question of whether a 26' deckboat will make it...
I've heard of people getting there on 19 footers. Isn't it the freeboard and hull design (i.e. Deep V) the things that really count out in the ocean? I heard that a boat with little freeboard and one that is not a Deep V would be very risky.....anyway, just what I heard from a buddy who's been out a few times on a 70's Seaswirl Deep V.
I have thought a few times about taking a 23' Deep V Cuddy out there, so I am glad this thread came up.

Spotondl
05-07-2006, 03:55 AM
It's not the boat that can or cannot make it... ANY boat can make it... the REAL question is whether or not the captain is up to the task... There is NO substitute for experience and skill...
Short answer to your question, absolutely, your 26 foot deckboat can make it. The REAL question is, are you skilled enough to make it? No slight intended at all... it is simply reality...
IF you attempt it, #1 bit of advice... PAY THE $84 BUCKS FOR VESSEL ASSIST and keep a VHF radio onboard, cell phones suck in the middle of the ocean...

Mandelon
05-07-2006, 04:43 PM
I saw a Magic Deckboat tied up at the pier in Two Harbors last year. I told him he was a loooong way from Lake Havasu. He laughed and said it was an easy trip.
You need to pick a day when its fairly flat. If the swells are small or close together I think you'd be OK, and going back they would push you so you'd need to be more careful not to stuff the front end.
My 21 has pretty high freeboard, I thing our average speed was 63 mph.....piece of cake on the day we did it. I have been many times and only seen it really big once or twice.
Just be ready to go when the weather is right and don't be afraid to turn around if it not looking good.

77charger
05-07-2006, 07:18 PM
My 21 has pretty high freeboard, I thing our average speed was 63 mph.....piece of cake on the day we did it. I am calling BS on that.Maybe when doing the circles at catalina LOL.My gps never saw under 68 and saw as high as 72

xs ultra
05-07-2006, 07:50 PM
No! but good luck and bring a marine radio and gps with you!

H20 Toie
05-07-2006, 07:50 PM
We did a run from Channel islands to Catalina and it was sooo smooth your could have taken a flat bottom and we have had times that we had to turn back with a 42' boat.
You also need to remember that it can change in a hurry so it might be smooth in the morning and really bad in the afternoon so be prepared to stay overnight.
Vessel Assist is a must if you are going in the ocean also a vhf radio.
Friday was a little rough but sat was smooth and today was in between the two

cc322
05-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Faster Daddy brought this guy with them I think in Nov.04. They came from Oceanside, and they didn't leave the island till after 4 pm. They ran the last 10 or so miles in the dark.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1268103_0307_1.JPG
Funny how that boat looks so out of place compared to the ones in the back ground

H20 Toie
05-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Oh and the most important thing to bring is your camera.
http://media.putfile.com/dolphins-85

beyondhelpin
05-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Be carefull what advise you take here.
When I lived in SD we toook my 22' Scarab across a few times, sometimes running high speeds. One time coming back it was pretty rough starting back. By the time we where 1/2 way back things had deterioated quite a bit. We were in full blown 10' to 12's. Unless you have ever been in those conditions in a small boat...............! It seemed like one out of 10 waves would go over the bow. It was a closed bow and it just peeled over the windshield and off the sundeck. (A wall of water a few inches thick shooting over the cockpit!)
My boat saw the ocean on average twice a week when we lived in SD. I really did not sweat it to bad because I knew my boat and the ocean pretty well. I knew my boat was extremly well made and I had a lot of ocean time. Know your boat and your skill level. Remember the ocean is not Havisu. Even though the lake can get pretty big, it is nothing like the ocean can get.
With your boat I would also worry about stuffing a wave. That could do pretty good damage. Not saying dont do it , just know your ocean skills and your boats ability to handle big ocean water. And dont even think about it without a VHF radio and Vessel Assist.

IDRPSTF
05-08-2006, 06:26 PM
I was the designated newbee that took a 20' Baja outlaw to Catalina and back when the model first came out. Baja found out the sales people had told customers that the boat could make the crossing in order to close the deal. After some BAD feedback to baja about the crossing attempts, DSM was told to send a boat out and document for "Insurance reasons" that "It could be done in that boat".
We left in a band spankin new 20 Outlaw at 5:30 am. full lifeline gear out of Dana Point. The ocean was like glass....
for about 15 miles. Long story short, it turned into victory at sea. We could hardly stay on top of the waves, taking on water, busted the boat in more than one place, blood ALL OVER the boat, engine kept dying. When we pulled in and handed the keys and boat to the guy who launched it two hours earlier he didnt know whether to bust up or cry. The boat went back to the factory and the insurance company got a shiney happy story about how much fun it was. I've been to the island many times before and many times after. Been in far worse sea's, but I always bring more boat.
So to answer your question... open bow boats and deckboats have no place in the channel.
But they still rule the lakes!