PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Rudder Location

sawtooth
08-19-2005, 07:54 AM
I am converting my boat (21' Schiada) from a outdrive to a v drive and am going to be putting a new 1 1/8" rudder stuffing box in and was wondering if it should be to the left of the prop shaft or to the right, also if someone could tell me how far forward the center line should be from the back of the boat that would be a great help. :confused: Thanks

Highlimit9000
08-19-2005, 09:56 AM
I am converting my boat (21' Schiada) from a outdrive to a v drive and am going to be putting a new 1 1/8" rudder stuffing box in and was wondering if it should be to the left of the prop shaft or to the right, also if someone could tell me how far forward the center line should be from the back of the boat that would be a great help. :confused: Thanks
No disrespect, but I would take it some place such as Prime Marine or somewhere that does these professionally. There is alot of critical shit that needs to be dead on! Especially converting into a V-Drive from an IO. Are you cutting your own hole, mounting your strut,V-Drive Ect.....

dmontzsta
08-19-2005, 10:01 AM
No disrespect, but I would take it some place such as Prime Marine or somewhere that does these professionally. There is alot of critical shit that needs to be dead on! Especially converting into a V-Drive from an IO. Are you cutting your own hole, mounting your strut,V-Drive Ect.....
I totally agree, it is not something you want to mess with.

sawtooth
08-19-2005, 06:14 PM
No disrespect but you guys make this sound like I am launching the Space Shuttle. I understand there is alot of critical things to take into account. Even if I had the money to pay one of the above mentioned shops I still would not take it there because this is something I enjoy doing and feel more than capable/confident in doing so, I was just looking for some info. I am also no dummy so this will be the last of me asking questions on this site, I see how you guys with your B boats stick together like a bunch of school kids who don't want to talk to the new kid. I have asked plenty of questions and got shot down on all of them if they have even been answered. Definitlly not like the "B Boat" answers they get pages of replys but that is cool I understand,I know I have not been to any of your shin digs so you don't know me so there is no love but I'm OK with that. Maybe I will see some of you out boating some day when I am finished.....then again maybe not because my boat will probably go across the lake sideways and backwards oh well!! Ask yourself this who did the first boat riggers ask where stuff went, that's right they did it on ther own just like I will.

superdave013
08-19-2005, 06:22 PM
On my 20' schiada the rudder is spot on, right in the center.
Post some pics of your project bro. I'd love to follow along.

superdave013
08-19-2005, 06:29 PM
another good source of info is boatguy222's dad. He's rigged a bunch of 21's back in the day. Super cool guy that LOVES to talk schiada rigging. If I could do it all over I would have tapped that conversation. lol
I asked tons of questions before I started mine. Even got some info from Lee. His info was pretty much what I already had in mind already. Mike King at Prime did the strut and v drive install as I'm a lazy pussy that was skeered to do it. lol He set it at 8 degrees and 21" from tip of strut barrel to transom.
So Hufferpower, is the rudders on your boat and your dad's on center or off center? C'Mon

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
08-19-2005, 06:36 PM
No disrespect but you guys make this sound like I am launching the Space Shuttle. I understand there is alot of critical things to take into account. Even if I had the money to pay one of the above mentioned shops I still would not take it there because this is something I enjoy doing and feel more than capable/confident in doing so, I was just looking for some info. I am also no dummy so this will be the last of me asking questions on this site, I see how you guys with your B boats stick together like a bunch of school kids who don't want to talk to the new kid. I have asked plenty of questions and got shot down on all of them if they have even been answered. Definitlly not like the "B Boat" answers they get pages of replys but that is cool I understand,I know I have not been to any of your shin digs so you don't know me so there is no love but I'm OK with that. Maybe I will see some of you out boating some day when I am finished.....then again maybe not because my boat will probably go across the lake sideways and backwards oh well!! Ask yourself this who did the first boat riggers ask where stuff went, that's right they did it on ther own just like I will.
great attitude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....hope you get it together and have fun,and maybe whoop some ass :cool:

GofastRacer
08-19-2005, 07:55 PM
Whoa there turbo calm down, who says nobody wants to talk to the new kid???. In case you haven't noticed a "B" boat is nowhere near a 21' Schiada V-Bottom and just maybe we're not quite up to par on the specs of one of those, I know I'm not and so i won't even begin to give any advice on it. All I see here is people trying to lead you in the right direction to the right source for the info you need!... BTW, if you get a "B" boat I'll be more than glad to help ya!..

Riverkid
08-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Here's a Schiada with an external rudder setup... Might help.
Good luck!
:D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2880s_Schiada_002_Large_-med.jpg

smalls
08-19-2005, 08:19 PM
not sure if this will hep?
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/266schiada_015.jpg

Rexone
08-19-2005, 09:07 PM
I have a Schiada ski racer settin here at Rex you're welcome to stop by and check the bottom / measurements / placement out any time. Originally set up by Mike King who's now at Prime.

Highlimit9000
08-20-2005, 11:45 AM
Sorry if it was my response that shined you away. I myself am not that talented to do such a set-up. I guess i should not blanket stereotype...If you can do it..More power to ya! i would love to see the process...Please show some pics...Dont be a stranger to this site. There are a bunch of very nice real knowledgable people here!

Morg
08-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Speaking of the space shutle, What is so hard about putting a layer of some composite over the flipp'n fuel tank. These guys spend billions of dollars & they still get a peice flying off, Did they just spend the money on how to fix it in space.
Covering the fuel tank seems pretty easy. Getting placements for hardware on a cruizer appears to be the tough one.
BTW- If you need any measurements off my Revenge (B-boat) let me know. Be glad to help in anyway I can.
Kid Morg

smalls
08-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Come on, Its just a couple holes!
Any pictures or the transom repair? I would like to see how that comes out...

Kim Hanson
08-20-2005, 04:25 PM
I have stopped asking questions about v-drives also,nothing but smart ass remarks..Live buy what you think and tell these guys to all **** off really nice now.Shit you just did that :cool: ......( . )( . )........

D'CUCCI
08-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Sawtooth my name Joey Cucci and i have made a few boats of my own. you can call me at 928 854-6446 There are some dimension you will need but not a big deal.

dossangers
08-22-2005, 08:33 AM
Damn all us B boat guys are snobs huh???? :confused: :confused: Boy you sure jumped in the shit here in a short time! There are a lot of qualified people here but i think what your asking is a little more complicated than just a sentence or two here on the boards especialy something as CRITICAL as steering! Chill out a little ! ! And hanson because your the poster boy for bench racers i dont think anybody knows when your talking shit or talking straight seeing that your always FLAMING V DRIVES and its owners! :hammer2:

Rexone
08-22-2005, 11:33 AM
nothing but smart ass remarks.....
hmmm I wonder what would motivate anyone to be a smart ass to kimmy... :rolleyes:
Congratulations on that new winter storage facility Kim.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/732hanson-snow.jpg

wsuwrhr
08-22-2005, 11:49 AM
hmmm I wonder what would motivate anyone to be a smart ass to kimmy... :rolleyes:
Now that ain't even right
Brian

76BARRON
08-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Sawtooth. Joey Cucci is in fact a boat rigger so he should be able to help you out. Give him a call and he is not one of those trendy B-boat guys :D and he is also one of those Hot Shot Super Stock drivers :D
Hey D'CUCCI Welcome to the boards! Take a look at my avatar ...........
Look familiar...? :D

smalls
08-22-2005, 01:54 PM
Dang, I hope there ain't no water in the motor.. Not even a cover :devil: That storage unit does wonders on tha polished alum........... :rollside:

INEEDAV
08-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Dang, I hope there ain't no water in the motor.. Not even a cover :devil: That storage unit does wonders on tha polished alum........... :rollside:
Be a lot cooler picture if he was sitting in it drinking beer or something. That is just plain abuse. :(

Norseman
08-22-2005, 03:50 PM
Speaking of the space shutle, What is so hard about putting a layer of some composite over the flipp'n fuel tank. These guys spend billions of dollars & they still get a peice flying off, Did they just spend the money on how to fix it in space.
Covering the fuel tank seems pretty easy. Getting placements for hardware on a cruizer appears to be the tough one.
BTW- If you need any measurements off my Revenge (B-boat) let me know. Be glad to help in anyway I can.
Kid Morg
Hey Mike, why don't ya send them a bunch of Rex Marine Stickers!!
They could cover the fuel tanks with stickers, problem solved and good press for Rex!!! :wink: :wink: J/K

wsuwrhr
08-22-2005, 05:33 PM
good press for Rex!!! :wink: :wink: J/K
Define good press
Brian

Norseman
08-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Define good press
Brian
No more foam falling off the tank, and a couple of million viewers looking at Rex Marine Stickers!!!! :boxed:
It would be almost as good as the mythical printed catalog!!! :2purples:

86 catalina
07-06-2006, 03:11 PM
No disrespect but you guys make this sound like I am launching the Space Shuttle. I understand there is alot of critical things to take into account. Even if I had the money to pay one of the above mentioned shops I still would not take it there because this is something I enjoy doing and feel more than capable/confident in doing so, I was just looking for some info. I am also no dummy so this will be the last of me asking questions on this site, I see how you guys with your B boats stick together like a bunch of school kids who don't want to talk to the new kid. I have asked plenty of questions and got shot down on all of them if they have even been answered. Definitlly not like the "B Boat" answers they get pages of replys but that is cool I understand,I know I have not been to any of your shin digs so you don't know me so there is no love but I'm OK with that. Maybe I will see some of you out boating some day when I am finished.....then again maybe not because my boat will probably go across the lake sideways and backwards oh well!! Ask yourself this who did the first boat riggers ask where stuff went, that's right they did it on ther own just like I will.I have been posting on this site for a very short time and had nothing but respect and all questions answered by the very helpful and nice hot boaters on this site.I have even made some new friends that i hang out with now.The bottom line toothless is your an smart ass ,replying to threads just trying to stir the pot, with apparently nothing better to do.I think most of us hot boaters are sick of guys like you on this site.So ****in tough that they talk shit online over the net.They have a name for guys like you (INTERNET PUSSY).Now take the rest of the teeth you have toothless ,and get off this site and go some where else where all the assholes hang out because we dont want your crap here Mr. two cents..http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15270&stc=1

Roaddogg 4040
07-06-2006, 04:24 PM
WOW !!! Sure glad I don't ask or answer questions here... :) :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:
Cool your jets Sawtooth...
Steve

fc-pilot
07-06-2006, 08:27 PM
I have been posting on this site for a very short time and had nothing but respect and all questions answered by the very helpful and nice hot boaters on this site.I have even made some new friends that i hang out with now.The bottom line toothless is your an smart ass ,replying to threads just trying to stir the pot, with apparently nothing better to do.I think most of us hot boaters are sick of guys like you on this site.So ****in tough that they talk shit online over the net.They have a name for guys like you (INTERNET PUSSY).Now take the rest of the teeth you have toothless ,and get off this site and go some where else where all the assholes hang out because we dont want your crap here Mr. two cents..http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15270&stc=1
Tell us how you realy feel.
Paul