PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Pool Remodeling - Fibre-Tech any experiances?

Lake Ape
08-19-2005, 12:58 PM
I have a particularly hard to keep clean 35,000 gallon swimming pool that IÂ’m in the process of remodeling. I am considering fiberglassing the entire pool. A company called Fibre Tech will do it for about the same as Pebble-Tecing the pool. Does anyone have any experiences with fiberglass coatings for their swimming pool? Supposedly algae will not stick to it. It also has a 25 year warranty vs. 1 year with plaster and 5 years with Pebble-Tec.
Thanks,
Lake Ape

ParkerRat
08-19-2005, 01:11 PM
I dont have any experience but am about to do mine as well. Let me know what you find out

Miss Perfect
08-19-2005, 01:13 PM
I have a particularly hard to keep clean 35,000 gallon swimming pool that IÂ’m in the process of remodeling. I am considering fiberglassing the entire pool. A company called Fibre Tech will do it for about the same as Pebble-Tecing the pool. Does anyone have any experiences with fiberglass coatings for their swimming pool? Supposedly algae will not stick to it. It also has a 25 year warranty vs. 1 year with plaster and 5 years with Pebble-Tec.
Thanks,
Lake Ape
I used to work for a company that did Fiberglass pool coatings. Just a word of advice..... check how long the company has been in business. Some of the fiberglass coating companies in San Diego went out of business and had to reopen under a different name because the pools were going bad and they could not honor all the warranties.
I am not saying anything bad about Fibre Tech, never even heard of them. All I am saying is do your homework!

Lake Ape
08-19-2005, 01:46 PM
I used to work for a company that did Fiberglass pool coatings. Just a word of advice..... check how long the company has been in business. Some of the fiberglass coating companies in San Diego went out of business and had to reopen under a different name because the pools were going bad and they could not honor all the warranties.
I am not saying anything bad about Fibre Tech, never even heard of them. All I am saying is do your homework!
Yes, that is what I figured. A 25 year warranty isn't worth very much if the company goes about of business. I also noticed the the installers are franchises which also makes me wonder who the warranty is with the manufacturer or the installing company.
As far as fiberglass goes it's very appealing to me since they say algae won't still no matter what. I think it might get slimy though and most likely slick.
Well, anyone have any first hand experiance with a fiberglass coated pool?

Waist Deep
08-19-2005, 02:13 PM
We tore the fiberglass out of the lap pools @ Edison High and Westminster High. The stuff delaminated like crazy. I always saw it as a band-aid.

ROZ
08-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Yes, that is what I figured. A 25 year warranty isn't worth very much if the company goes about of business. I also noticed the the installers are franchises which also makes me wonder who the warranty is with the manufacturer or the installing company.
As far as fiberglass goes it's very appealing to me since they say algae won't still no matter what. I think it might get slimy though and most likely slick.
Well, anyone have any first hand experiance with a fiberglass coated pool?
If there is a use for it, I think commercial is it. They say because it's non porus, you go through less chemicals and it resists algae. The questions is what kind of Algae... I serviced a huge fiberglass pool in La Mesa that was converted from plaster while we had the service contract. I think it was about 25% more than plaster...Never had an algae issue, and the chem use was about the same...I currently have 2 commercial pools in Carlsbad that are fiberglass... Haven't had any problems with them. Chems seem to be alright, but I keep a tight leash on the PH...My experience has been to keep vinyl and fiberglass pools a little acidic, or low on the PH spectrum... While something like black algae might have a problem rooting into the non porus surface, yellow or mustard algae will have no problem resting on the surface of the pool's south walls and in tight corners like where the staps are if the conditions are prime for algae bloom...
Don't accept the line that they can't be stained either... One of the pools had a stain in it from the last servicer ... Stain out has helped quite a bit, though...
I don't like the surface, too much... too slippery and you can "rasberry" your feet..
I'd do a pebble type surface, but that's me :)
Hope this helps...

Lake Ape
08-19-2005, 02:37 PM
If there is a use for it, I think commercial is it. They say because it's non porus, you go through less chemicals and it resists algae. The questions is what kind of Algae... I serviced a huge fiberglass pool in La Mesa that was converted from plaster while we had the service contract. I think it was about 25% more than plaster...Never had an algae issue, and the chem use was about the same...I currently have 2 commercial pools in Carlsbad that are fiberglass... Haven't had any problems with them. Chems seem to be alright, but I keep a tight leash on the PH...My experience has been to keep vinyl and fiberglass pools a little acidic, or low on the PH spectrum... While something like black algae might have a problem rooting into the non porus surface, yellow or mustard algae will have no problem resting on the surface of the pool's south walls and in tight corners like where the staps are if the conditions are prime for algae bloom...
Don't accept the line that they can't be stained either... One of the pools had a stain in it from the last servicer ... Stain out has helped quite a bit, though...
I don't like the surface, too much... too slippery and you can "rasberry" your feet..
I'd do a pebble type surface, but that's me :)
Hope this helps...
Yes, Thank You Roz!
That is what I was looking for. I think I will end up going with Pebble-Tec. I just wanted to make sure that I check all my options out. I going to spend about $10K on the pool and another $10K on the yard so I am trying to stretch my dollars and spend wisely at the same time. If I could just sell the MB, everything would be good. Looks like I will be making two boat payments for a while.

ROZ
08-19-2005, 02:37 PM
One more thing.... Keeping up with your pools chemicals will help any surface lasting a long time....
I have a few commercial plaster pools that look as good as they did 7-8 years ago...
I'd do a pebble type, add a salt system, add a pool vac, monitor the PH, add water, and call it a day :D

ROZ
08-19-2005, 02:41 PM
Damn... forgot the beer,a little music, and a bikini clad wife or girlfriend :D
PM PHXATC... He has helped many people do "owner builder" pools and likely has a list of pool surfacers you can check out :)

lewiville
08-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks,
Lake Ape
check out our web site, you can get allot of help from there
www.keyaccess.com

mmered8299
08-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Have you looked into Pebble sheen and or Colored Quartz?

ROZ
08-19-2005, 02:56 PM
Have you looked into Pebble sheen and or Colored Quartz?
Hydrazzo looks nice, too... Have you any experience with it?

76ANTHONY
08-19-2005, 03:39 PM
salt system and pebbletech, cant go wrong, watch the ph thats it and enjoy it. how many hrs are you running the pumps? that could be a factor also. :D

gd2fast4u
08-23-2005, 03:47 PM
This is not directly related....I just installed an automatic chlorinator that uses salt. It works awsome and I have found out after installing mine that all the hotels in Vegas are using them now. I have not added chlorine in 3 months (since I installed the pool pilot digital) and it is hot here in Alpine. Pool looks perrrfect.