PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a good anchor setup for 18'

stashtrey
08-19-2005, 01:32 PM
I'll be spending a lot of time on the local river and would like to find a good little anchor setup for my 18' Spectra. I've seen the kind with the bungee style leader on the line and that seems like the way to go. Lots of big cruisers and lots of wake board boats..... want something that can give/take with the waves.
Any suggestions? Cost? Where to buy?

voodoomedman
08-19-2005, 01:36 PM
I'll be spending a lot of time on the local river and would like to find a good little anchor setup for my 18' Spectra. I've seen the kind with the bungee style leader on the line and that seems like the way to go. Lots of big cruisers and lots of wake board boats..... want something that can give/take with the waves.
Any suggestions? Cost? Where to buy?
Box Anchor. They set in almost anything, are pretty much just a drop it and it sets itself and they come in different sizes.

stashtrey
08-19-2005, 01:38 PM
do you need to purchase the line, too? I'm interested in the bungee leader thing that stretches.... I imagine I can find all of this at West Marine, eh?

wiggler
08-19-2005, 01:42 PM
I agree with voodoomedman...the box anchor has been a solid anchor system for me over the past 4 years. Just be sure to leave enough line between the anchor and your boat.

PalapaHead
08-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Hoolign's Boat and a spool of twine

BarryMac
08-19-2005, 01:46 PM
do you need to purchase the line, too? I'm interested in the bungee leader thing that stretches.... I imagine I can find all of this at West Marine, eh?
Get your Box Anchor through Rex Marine and you can buy the Bungee Anchor Rope from Overton's, that's the set-up I use on my Boat...

Magic34
08-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Get box, works great

riverracerx
08-19-2005, 01:48 PM
Box anchor. The BEST!

2Driver
08-19-2005, 01:53 PM
5Lb can of Maxwell house filled with cement should do it :p

voodoomedman
08-19-2005, 01:57 PM
The box anchor does not use a chain or bungee leader. It uses just a straight metal bar. I'm not sure if you can get them at West Marine. Check out www.slideanchor.com. Also on the site under accessories is a line called an anchor buddy. I think that's the bungie thing your talking about.

stashtrey
08-19-2005, 02:00 PM
Thanks for all the help!!!!

One Particular Harbor
08-19-2005, 02:42 PM
You don't know how many anchor-challenged individuals I see that try to set a box anchor with 25' of line.
Box anchors are great and I love not having a chain rode on the anchor, especially because I have to drop and retrieve my anchor over a bow with a reasonable amount of freeboard. However, for the box to work, it needs to lay reasonably flat on the bottom, which means you want to have enough line on the anchor to set it at a good angle.
Some of the people I have seen try and set box anchors have about 25' of line on them and you can see them barely holding the end of the anchor line and scratching there heads as to why the anchor won't hold...damn thing is probably straight up & down on the bottom. :)
OPH

voodoomedman
08-19-2005, 02:53 PM
You don't know how many anchor-challenged individuals I see that try to set a box anchor with 25' of line.
Box anchors are great and I love not having a chain rode on the anchor, especially because I have to drop and retrieve my anchor over a bow with a reasonable amount of freeboard. However, for the box to work, it needs to lay reasonably flat on the bottom, which means you want to have enough line on the anchor to set it at a good angle.
Some of the people I have seen try and set box anchors have about 25' of line on them and you can see them barely holding the end of the anchor line and scratching there heads as to why the anchor won't hold...damn thing is probably straight up & down on the bottom. :)
OPH
I bought more rope than I ever use. I think like 150' or something like that. I then went to the hardware store and bought thing to wind up an extension cord on and I wrap the rope around that.

dmontzsta
08-19-2005, 03:06 PM
For an 18' most any anchor will do. I have a standard anchor 14lb and chain, I slipped a 15lb weight over the chain as well, the thing doesnt move, whole setup probably cost $30.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
08-19-2005, 03:39 PM
Dont mess around with a small mushroom anchor.....
Just call Ryan at Box Anchor and get a small "Box Anchor".....
or....go buy the anchor from West Marine.....
While your at West Marine and get about 75' or so of 5/8" nylon braid rope....
Done.....
Later,
CJG
:wink:

Phat Matt
08-19-2005, 04:11 PM
I see nobody has mentioned the "box anchor". They work great. You should get one. :rolleyes:
:D

ahhell
08-19-2005, 04:30 PM
everyone says box anchor , no chain....I use a box anchor and a chain and the last storm we had, my boat didnt move an inch...Buddies boat ( who shall remain nameless ) moved to the middle of the river with a box anchor...dont get me wrong, box anchor is the shiat, just better with a chain...IMPHO

Sleek-Jet
08-19-2005, 04:36 PM
You could always go old school and use an old big block chevy crank shaft.... I understand they work well. :D

77charger
08-19-2005, 05:30 PM
Any standard anchor will work provided you know how to use it.I see alot of people who think that(even box anchors and regular) that all you need for 10 ft of water is 12 feet of rope
1.use at least 3-1 ratio on rope more is better
2.small piece of chain about 3-4 ft.
Thats about it i do use a danforth style for beaching as well as in the water i do have a box anchor too but the only real advantage is in current with rockier bottoms less sand.or windy conditions where you do not have the rear of your boat tied to shore or anchored.
There are some situations when one anhor has the advantage over the other(danforth and box)

Jyruiz
08-19-2005, 05:36 PM
I currently own an 18' boat, and can tell you that the small box anchor is the way to go. I would highly recommend it over any other anchor.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
08-19-2005, 07:59 PM
Any standard anchor will work provided you know how to use it.I see alot of people who think that(even box anchors and regular) that all you need for 10 ft of water is 12 feet of rope
1.use at least 3-1 ratio on rope more is better
2.small piece of chain about 3-4 ft.
Thats about it i do use a danforth style for beaching as well as in the water i do have a box anchor too but the only real advantage is in current with rockier bottoms less sand.or windy conditions where you do not have the rear of your boat tied to shore or anchored.
There are some situations when one anhor has the advantage over the other(danforth and box)
Ummmm..... :idea:
Here ya' go !!!!! ;)
Class dismissed !!!!!! :clover:
SCOPE
Vertically, you need to know how deep the water is from the point that the rode goes over the bow to the sea floor. This is an important measurement in calculating scope. Then, you multiply the total vertical height by a factor of 5 if you want a scope of 5 to 1. If a scope of 7 to 1 is desired, then you multiply the total vertical height by 7. The image below says that the total vertical height of the line from the bow of the boat to the sea floor is 20'. By multiplying the total vertical height (20') by 5, you will know that if you let out 100' of line you will have a scope of 5 to 1. This is acceptable under normal anchoring conditions. However, if the wind started to blow, then you may want to let out more line to increase the scope as this gives the anchor more holding power. I would suggest a scope of 7 to 1 under this condition. That means you would multiply 7 x 20' and get the answer of 140''. As you already have 100' out, you need only let out another 40' to increase your scope from 5 to 1 to 7 to 1. This assumes the depth has remained the same; doubtful in a tidal area.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1780scope_guide.jpg
SCOPE IN DETAIL (example)
Depth from bow tip to water surface. (constant figure for same boat) Example 4'
Depth of water (remember the tides) Example 16'
Total the sums of the Example figures. Total of Example 20'
To get a scope of 5 to 1, simply multiply the Total Depth (20') by 5.
This tells you that 100' of rope should be let out to hold the vessel in normal conditions.
The greater the scope, the greater the holding power. As conditions deteriorate, let out more scope to insure your vessels security.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1780scope_holding_power.jpg
HOLDING POWER
This image shows the holding power at different scope positions. As shown, the farther out the line, the better the holding power. Note the it is possible to achieve a theoretical 100% figure. This simply means that you can do no more, nor can the anchor do no more to increase it's holding ability. (Note: There are ways of improving your holding power that is not covered here)
The design of the anchor and the ground material that it is stuck in will determine the results from this moment on. This diagram will vary when showing different makes of anchors.
See "Working the Scope" below.

Rexone
08-19-2005, 08:12 PM
Try a Box Anchor (http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=boxanch) , they really work good. :D I'm really surprised one of these guys hadn't mentioned them. :)