PDA

View Full Version : looking for a good site to buy a remaned carb

YeLLowBoaT
08-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Does any 1 know of a good web site to buy a remaned carb??? I have been looking at prices of remaned vs new..... there is no way I can afford a new carb right now. I am looking for something in the 700-750 cfm holley dbl pumper or demon. Ty for the Help

BrendellaJet
08-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Why not rebuild it, its not that hard. Buy a book and a kit and do it yourself.

YeLLowBoaT
08-20-2005, 12:06 AM
the carb I have now some 1 did some "tuning" its well past the rebuild stage. (holley dbl pumper) just to name a few things he "tuned"
removed the strap holding the check ball on the 2nd side so no accel pump for the 2nd
remoeved the highspeed air bleeds
over drilled and champfered all of the holes in the metering blocks
all of the jet holes were over drilled so that you can't skrew in new jets
and for some reason the base plate has been shaved down 1/4 inch
I really don't know what else was messed with I stoped after i saw the metering blocks.
I really wish my scanner was working so I could post pics of what was done to this thing it will make you go "WTF was this guy thinking". whats funny is this boat belong to a friend of a friend and I know that it ran in the mid 60s(have more then 1 person saying this and they are all boaters), till it was parked 17 years ago and has not been touched since.
with all that needs to be replaced to have a working carb again it would probly cost some where in the 300 ish range.

BrendellaJet
08-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Check out ebay. Buyer beware, but if you know your way around a holley you can find something useable for cheep...

SmokinLowriderSS
08-20-2005, 05:54 PM
the carb I have now some 1 did some "tuning" its well past the rebuild stage. (holley dbl pumper) just to name a few things he "tuned"
removed the strap holding the check ball on the 2nd side so no accel pump for the 2nd
remoeved the highspeed air bleeds
over drilled and champfered all of the holes in the metering blocks
all of the jet holes were over drilled so that you can't skrew in new jets
and for some reason the base plate has been shaved down 1/4 inch
WTF was the guy THINKING?!?!??!?!? Just had to say that. :D
As far as I can tell, all those parts had a designed purpose on the carb back when they were installed in the first place. Seems, 40 years later, the same parts are still in new carbs. hmmmmmmm. It's a good thing my seccondaries have a big-arse accel pump that WORKS. Heck of a hole when you slam a 700 Holley WOT at 850 RPM. Takes both my pumps to cover it as hse doesn't stumble a bit. Can't ever rejet either. Hmmmmm, never going to go anywhere but 1 altitude, sure hope it was right this time. :boxingguy
Not bagging on you Yellowboat, somebody really, royally ef'd up your carb. Good luck locating an inexpensive replacement. Mortec.com ought to have baseline stock setup info on a holley so you can have a known (likely quite good) starting place. I'd re-build it myself before use unless it is realy new. A rebuild is mostly just new seals/gaskets anyhow(for god's sake man, don't loose the check-ball!! :D )

YeLLowBoaT
08-20-2005, 06:52 PM
I know the carb is way f00ked. its funny I was at a swap meet 6 months ago they had crabs a dime a dozen now I can't find one to save my life.

08-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Carb tricks are done to make building carbs a "black art" These so-called carb gurus do all sorts of modifications to justify their expense, the only trouble is they usually screw up a perfectly good carb. I've seen "air bleeds" installed where there was no air. I've seen emulsifer holes where they could not possibly work just by where thet were located. I've seen floats cut to mimick what was suppose to be the hot setup for a roadrace carb...only prob. this was on a boat engine. I've also seen airhorns cut off with a hacksaw [and wasn't even deburred] done by a "pro".... BLACK ART INDEED! :yuk:

LakesOnly
08-21-2005, 08:26 AM
Does any 1 know of a good web site to buy a remaned carb??? I have been looking at prices of remaned vs new..... there is no way I can afford a new carb right now. I am looking for something in the 700-750 cfm holley dbl pumper or demon. Ty for the Help
Check with Stahl Carburetors. He is a carburetor remanufacturer and does great work.
Lyle Stahle's attention to the Holley carb specs is better than Holley Inc. themselves (he machines to tighter tolerances, etc,). I am 100% satisfied with the pair of 850 Center Squirters I received from him and have sent other Hot Boat forum members to him, whom have expressed to me their satisfaction. His prices are very cheap, too. For example, I have seen him selling a brand new Holley 660 Center Squirters on eBay for just $265! (Jegs/Summit want $459.)
Look how clean these carbs are that I received:
http://home.earthlink.net/~checkwithlegal/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/carbover.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~checkwithlegal/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/float.jpg
At this time, Lyle Stahle is not selling any carburetors on eBay because he just moved and is in transition, so to speak, but will still produce carbs on a "per order" basis for the time being. Click on the link below, then click on "Contact Member," and inquire with him about the specific carb you need. He more than likely has it and will reply with a price quote.
These are not super-hi-perf prepped monsters; rather, they are completely refurbished "as new" carbs for a screamin' deal.
Tell him "Paul Kane" sent you.
Click Here To View Stahle Carburetors' Ebay Listings (http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=lstahle)
LO

cdog
08-21-2005, 09:31 AM
I've used the carb shop in Onterio Ca back in the day on my 67 camaro. I had a 750 Vac. secondary that they pimped out. It was worth every penny. The car ran low 12's on street tires with a mild built 327 and a 700r4 trans. Sometimes i'd get up to 18 MPG on the freeway. They shaved the choke horn off and the car allways started on the first turn of the key. They will need all the specs of your engine and boat to match the componets in the carb. I was very happy with the carb. Major improvement in performance and driveability.