PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advise on shaft rockers

565edge
06-28-2003, 10:08 PM
Have any of you used a shaft style rocker system,SHould i buy jesel or t&d?I do have stud girdles and 1.7 rockers for sale along with 2 1150 dominators?
[ June 29, 2003, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: 565edge ]

wsuwrhr
06-28-2003, 10:23 PM
Shaft style is the way to go for valvetrain rigidity. Damn expensive, but say goodbye to broken studs and springs.
I have T&D rockers for my INDY heads.
I am guessing you are talking about a Ford or Chevy,or Olds. Dodge already has shaft style.
Brian
[ June 28, 2003, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

565edge
06-28-2003, 11:29 PM
They are for a set of dart pro-1 heads for a bbc chevy,I just dont know what ones to get,looking for some pro's and con on both?
[ June 29, 2003, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: 565edge ]

wsuwrhr
06-29-2003, 05:59 AM
I honestly haven't heard anything bad about either set. The are comparable in price, you will be in the 700-1000 dollar range. Pros I had mentioned in my earlier post.
Brian

Racing Ray
06-29-2003, 07:27 AM
You really can't go wrong with either the T&D or Jesel. I run Jesel on 3 of my engines. One thing I will point out is not to believe the line from Jesel they are a bolt on affair. In order to fit 2 of the engines there was some machining required to set proper geometry due to high lift cams.
I have friends that run the T&D and swear by them. It is a matter more of price and availability in my opinion.
Do you run enough RPM to warrant the added expense? Gains from the change will be almost negligable.

565edge
06-29-2003, 11:42 AM
Racing ray,i run a .800 lift cam and spin at max rpm aroun 7500rpm?

Racing Ray
06-29-2003, 12:38 PM
Sounds about like the same cam I run in my 565. I think you would be happy with the shaft rockers. On my 565 with Dart 360 heads the heads did require machining the pads to install the Jesels. If not the fulcrum or pivot point will be to high and the push rod cups will hit the push rods breaking the bottom side out of the cup. At least that is what happened to mine. It will most likely require shorter than stock push rods as well.
Make sure if your machinist is not real familiar with shaft rockers he knows only to expose about 2-3 threads of the adjusting screws on the bottom side of the rocker if they have to extend out to far to adjust lash it will weaken the assembly, broken adjusters will be the result.
I would advise having the rocker geometry checked real carefully.

565edge
06-29-2003, 02:40 PM
I'm going to have my engine builder install them and check everything,he wants me to get the jesels but just wanted some other opinions,I also have a 565 with the dart cnc 355's,i run a bullet cam .801 on intake and .780 on exhaust with 286 294 at .050 with the 7 4 swap,I noticed with the 4 7 swap the motor runs alot smoother through the rpm's and makes the motor not sound as radical,I want to change rockers before i break a rocker arm stud,it is also alot easier to check spring peressure and adjust valves with shaft mounted.thanks for the info,what jesels did you get,i think the make maybe three diffrent styles now?

Racing Ray
06-29-2003, 04:25 PM
Mine are the original race rockers. I have seen a cheaper version I think they are called the Sportsman series I don't know anything about them. I have one of the last 2002 SS Camaros and have been thinking about trying the Sportsman series Jesel makes for the LS1 engine.
Yes it is easier to check spring pressures and to replace a spring on the heads with the rocker stand tool as well. Remember the tools available for checking spring pressures on the heads are not going to be as accurate as the one your builder should use. So it will only be good as a relative figure. Make sure to check your springs when new so you have a referance point.

565edge
06-29-2003, 04:53 PM
How long have your springs lasted?What springs are you running?

Racing Ray
06-29-2003, 05:26 PM
I use the Comp Cams #26082. I have great spring life but again it is relative to how long your at 7500 RPM. LOL!
This same spring is recommended for Drag Racing and Marine apps and designed with high endurance in mind.
Marine Springs (http://www.compcams.com/information/Products/ValveSprings/2003ValveSpringCatalog/750-782_Page-13.jpg)

565edge
06-29-2003, 06:08 PM
I beleive the spring your using is identical to the comp cam 948,i either have the 947's or the 948's,im trying to find paperwork,just trying to find out how long they will last,The boat is a lake/race boat,one of these days i will make it to ming?I usually run this on the lake though around 4000 rpm with some 7000rpm plus blast,i dont hold it down very long though and try not to idle around too much,sometimes those 5mph zones suck,im sure its got to reek havik on the lifters,i run the crower sever duty lifters?

Racing Ray
06-29-2003, 06:26 PM
Weight is the killer on high lift valve trains. I chose Cranes Pro Series lifters for that reason. Dave Crower is a great guy and has come through for me on Cranks several times. Top notch quality either way. I think you are correct the 948-16 is the old part number same spring. Triple spring Pacalloy material.

565edge
06-29-2003, 06:56 PM
What is your take on rev-kits?One guy says to run them and the next says no?Do you have any advice on this?

Racing Ray
06-29-2003, 08:38 PM
In my opinion they are old school. They had a real purpose prior to the development of today's springs. With improvements in valve springs and extreme seat pressures available now I don't think they have any advantage on proper spring applications. Camshaft ramp technology and spring design advances have negated their use.
Remember the idea behind a rev-kit is to keep the lifter from bouncing on the cam. If you get the tools and keep an eye on spring pressures they won't be needed. If you want to get lazy and wait until something breaks you might consider them.
I would suggest running the valves no less than every other time out. Not because the Jesels may loosen they wont, but as needle bearings on the rockers or lifters wear and you see that extra lash on one or two rockers you will know it is time to look deeper into what is going on. Find the problem before it causes an even bigger one.
I know lots of others are reading this thread I always have an opinion but it is not always right, feel free to jump in if your experiances tell you something different.

GofastRacer
06-29-2003, 08:56 PM
You're absolutely right, rev kits were a mandatory item due to steep ramps and the lifter would shoot itself off the lobe on the way down. But technology has come a long way and with these new profiles and spring combinations a rev kit is not mandatory with a lot of these profiles. I still would check with the cam MFG to make sure whether you need one or not with your particular cam choice and also get the springs that go with that cam. A tip on spring life:, if you park it for more than a couple of days, back off the rockers, springs will lose tension while compressed, you'll be surprised how much longer they will last!..Just my experience!... :rolleyes: