PDA

View Full Version : Proper temp for 460 w/ berk?

stashtrey
08-20-2005, 12:06 PM
My boat runs consistantly at around 165-170 all day long. Is this okay? I saw a post somewhere on here today that someone had theirs at 120?!
Am I missing something here?

Squirtcha?
08-20-2005, 12:10 PM
There are some variables, but mine runs 120 degrees while underway and 150 degrees when idled for more than a few minutes.
BBF w/open headers no thermostat (open cooling system)

Squirtin Thunder
08-20-2005, 12:15 PM
My boat runs consistantly at around 165-170 all day long. Is this okay? I saw a post somewhere on here today that someone had theirs at 120?!
Am I missing something here?
Yours shoult have a valve on the entry and exit of the water lines. I would open this up all the way. With the water cooled exhaust manifolds that you have the temp is a bit higher. Because you preheat the water before it goes into the engine. Also you are running on a lake where the water is about 30* warmer so that also plays a part in it too.
Hope this helps
Jim

stashtrey
08-20-2005, 12:20 PM
I'll check to make sure that valve is totally open. I also have a closed engine hatch, and you are right... I have logs for exhaust... so that should make mine run a bit higher? Is 165-170 going to hurt my motor?

Squirtin Thunder
08-20-2005, 12:23 PM
I'll check to make sure that valve is totally open. I also have a closed engine hatch, and you are right... I have logs for exhaust... so that should make mine run a bit higher? Is 165-170 going to hurt my motor?
I would get an oil cooler for it. Jet pump boats put alot of strain on the engine which creats higher oil temps, along with the preheated water and the closed hatch. I start to panic at 160 with mine, when I melted the piston it only rose about 5*.

Riverdog1
08-20-2005, 12:24 PM
I like to run mine at around 160 deg, it goes up to around 200 while idling. Heat=HP. can't be too hot though.

Squirtin Thunder
08-20-2005, 12:27 PM
I like to run mine at around 160 deg, it goes up to around 200 while idling. Heat=HP. can't be too hot though.
Actual block temp and water temp are two separate things.
Mine for instance at 100*-120* is perfect, oil temp is at about 210* and the Block temp is right around 175*.

stashtrey
08-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Now I'm confused. Is my 166-170 water temp too high?
Can you tell me roughly how much work/money will be involved in putting an oil cooler in there?
Also... should I do this immediately or am I okay running that temperature? It stays right there all day long and the motor runs great....but I definitely don't want to destroy it.

Squirtin Thunder
08-20-2005, 12:29 PM
First off, your water temperature sounds way too high. In an open cooling system the sending unit is only measuring the temperature of the lake water as it rushes through the block and not the actual block temperature. So if the gauge is reading 200 degrees then the actual block temp is much higher. You need to get it lower, down to at least 150 degrees. I run mine around 120 degrees (according to the gauge). You could be breaking down the oil with excessive heat and will easily send the oil pressure plummetting.
I would change the oil and filter, get more water into the engine and if you dont suspect any other internal damage, run the boat again.
As Cyclone said your water temp is way too high, it also translates over to your Oil temp. Even real good quality race Oil can't hang very long like that. Pull the thermostat and chuck it as far as you can.
Just think about this for one min, how could you heat the river or lake to 190* in five min. of run time. In a closed system with 5gal or less yes. Deffinatly not 50 bazilian gallons.

stashtrey
08-20-2005, 12:35 PM
I'll add that my oil pressure is always around 60 psi (?). Usually between 60/70.

Squirtin Thunder
08-20-2005, 12:37 PM
I'll add that my oil pressure is always around 60 psi (?). Usually between 60/70.
Mine was at 50 with the burned piston and 70 normally

Squirtin Thunder
08-20-2005, 11:42 PM
I guess we will just have to go out Sunday afternoon and test this thing out.
Jim

Mark Sims
08-21-2005, 01:57 AM
Mine runs at 155- 165 with oil temps at 200 to 210 unless I hammer it. It idles at 180-190 through a long no wake zone.Been this way for years so I dont think my water temps are too high.Never any condensation in the valve covers. Last time I tore the motor down for an oil leak everything was just fine.I run valvoline racing 40.I was told oil temps of 200-210 were nothing to worry about. I dont have an oil cooler.Lake water temps here are in the 80's.

quiet riot
08-21-2005, 02:08 AM
Do you have a t-stat? Is the temperature consistant from idle to cruise to wide open? Is this a change from normal operating temp?
I ran at 170 water temp for 8 years with over a thousand hours and hundreds of pounds of n2o and no oil cooler. This was with a tstat and fresh water only cooling. Engine was perfect when taken apart. I think your ok if this is what its setup for.
I now run 180 with closed cooling. Many of the big dogs are racing with a setup like this to make parts live longer and build more power. You have to keep in mind the engine build though (tolerances, comp ratio/detonation, etc.)
jd