PDA

View Full Version : 68 camaro need AIS information

Blown Spectra
08-20-2005, 12:39 PM
i got a 68 camaro with 350sbc and 5spd manual. i have headers and flomasters. nothing big, just an everyday driver. i need to know what the hell an AIS(air injection system) for manual cars back then was. anyone have any idea what this is and what it takes to rid an AIS system?
thanks for any help.
eric

IMPATIENT 1
08-20-2005, 01:02 PM
i got a 68 camaro with 350sbc and 5spd manual. i have headers and flomasters. nothing big, just an everyday driver. i need to know what the hell an AIS(air injection system) for manual cars back then was. anyone have any idea what this is and what it takes to rid an AIS system?
thanks for any help.
eric
CARS THAT HAD CONVERTORS USED A PUMP TO INJECT AIR INTO THE EXHAUST STREAM TO "FIRE UP"THE CONVERTORS.THIS HEATS THE CONVERTORS UP REAL FAST SO IT LOWER EMMISSIONS ALITTLE QUICKER.IF IT WASN'T EQUIPED FROM THE FACTORY WITH IT I WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT IT.

IMPATIENT 1
08-20-2005, 01:03 PM
If It Has A Smog Pump,cut The Belt Off And Installed Plugs In The Manifold(if Still Running Mani.)

cdog
08-20-2005, 01:31 PM
thanks for any help.
eric
It's a little stove pipe that comes off of your exhaust manifold that goes to the air cleaner to heat the incomming air. Usually one of the first things to fall apart. Is the car new to you? I take it your tring to smog it under your name. If you have headers. It may be hard to do. You may have to buy some OEM parts to put on there temp. Your in CA. Look up classic industries in huntington beach. I've seen headers with a weld on flange. You could tac weld one on temp. and run the aluminum tubing they use in stock apps. Remember you only have to pass smog once. Now your in the computer so make sure it's right for the next time.

LakesOnly
08-20-2005, 02:29 PM
i got a 68 camaro...i need to know what the hell an AIS(air injection system) for manual cars back then was. anyone have any idea what this is and what it takes to rid an AIS system?
eric
The Air Injection System (A.I.S.) or Air Injector Reactor (A.I.R.) is the belt driven smog pump accessory at the front of the engine. These air pumps usually pump fresh air into the exhaust ports so that the hot exhaust gasses leaving the combustion chamber(s) will be exposed to more oxygen, thereby burning off some of the escaping unburned hydrocarbons. I am a little rusty on all my emissisons details, but I think that on the chebby's of the time, they are pumped in through a "tree" on the factory exhaust manifolds (much like the water tree on the water injected headers on our boats). So if you do not have these exhaust manifolds, you will have to swap out for some that accomodate the A.I.R. system. If you are running stock exhaust manifolds (and not headers), then look closely at them as someone may have simply removed the trees and plugged the holes to the ports. Later chebby exhaust manifolds (OBD II and maybe OBD I) may not have this feature, soi you'll have to seek out factory manifolds from 1968 through like 1984.
Do you want to take this off or do you want to add it in order to pass California emissions? Because currently, automobiles manufactured before 1976 do not require a smog test in this state. (This is also always changing, but last I heard, the rolling 30-year window was dropped and as of now required emissions testing is for 1976 and newer model years only.)
LO

LakesOnly
08-20-2005, 02:31 PM
It's a little stove pipe that comes off of your exhaust manifold that goes to the air cleaner to heat the incomming air.
What you are describing is the Thermostatic Air Cleaner (T.A.C.) system, not A.I.R.
LO

cdog
08-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Very few 68 camaro's had a smog pump. The only two smog type items they look for are the stove pipe deal and a pcv.

cdog
08-20-2005, 04:32 PM
What you are describing is the Thermostatic Air Cleaner (T.A.C.) system, not A.I.R.
LO
I checked and 68 camaro's had the air system you described in the later part of the year even though I've never seen one on a car. You can't get a OEM repo exhaust manifold with the holes, only the boss's. I was thinkin he was asking about the wrong part or confused. If his car does not have the smog pump and brackets/plumbing, he's better off saying it's a 327. I believe only the 350's had the smog shit. The smog guy's used to only know by the engine ci.

cdog
08-20-2005, 04:38 PM
My 67 is a 327 SS and did not have a smog pump. My 68 was a SS 350 and did'nt have one either. They both passed smog? I had to have the pcv and stove pipe deal.

Blown Spectra
08-20-2005, 05:05 PM
OK. i am tring to add this on the car so it will pass smog, reason wy it has to pass smog is cuz the cop was a dick and didn't know the difference from everyday driver with big cam and flowmasters/ and a race car. he said this is a race car and until it pass's smog you cannot drive it. :devil:
i take the the county smog station, and they checked everything. i have the pvc on it so that was cool, the only thing i dodn't have wAS THE (STOVE PIPE DEAL) the smog dude was really cool and said just bring the car back with the ais installed and we are good to go.
So for me to install the ais system, i would just need to run a pipe from the collector on the headers to the air cleaner? please tell me if i'm right or wrong so i know what to do for the thing to be cool. "i really dont want to buy new headers and pumps and shit like this to make it fly, its temporary and it needs to be on their until it passes smog, then it will be taken off of it same day.
thanks guys for all the help
eric

Scape Goat
08-20-2005, 07:00 PM
the cars 74 or was it 71 and under does not require smog check. Sounds to me this cop does not know a thing.
so I thought

Mighty Thor
08-20-2005, 09:32 PM
I have rebuilt or restored Camaros for years and have never seen one on a 68 and would doubt that the system was ever put on an acutal 68 body. What you have to remember is that the 68 cars came out in late 67 and the 69 cars came out in late 68. I have seen that air system on only 3 or 4 1969 350's and they were all RS cars. Never seen an SS with it and Never seen a plain jane 69 with it. Don't see how anyone could require you to have it since it was not factory standard, but was an option not offered on every car. Granted, I am not building cars in California, but many of the cars we got in Oregon had been CA cars at one time or another. I may still have a set of the exhaust manifolds laying out in a barn somewhere off a 70 nova or impalla, (cant remember which) but I would sure think you could argue this point and win with someone who knows what they are doing.

Blown Spectra
08-21-2005, 12:15 AM
I have rebuilt or restored Camaros for years and have never seen one on a 68 and would doubt that the system was ever put on an acutal 68 body. What you have to remember is that the 68 cars came out in late 67 and the 69 cars came out in late 68. I have seen that air system on only 3 or 4 1969 350's and they were all RS cars. Never seen an SS with it and Never seen a plain jane 69 with it. Don't see how anyone could require you to have it since it was not factory standard, but was an option not offered on every car. Granted, I am not building cars in California, but many of the cars we got in Oregon had been CA cars at one time or another. I may still have a set of the exhaust manifolds laying out in a barn somewhere off a 70 nova or impalla, (cant remember which) but I would sure think you could argue this point and win with someone who knows what they are doing.
THANKS YOU :D
Eric

cdog
08-21-2005, 07:33 AM
OK. i am tring to add this on the car so it will pass smog, reason wy it has to pass smog is cuz the cop was a dick and didn't know the difference from everyday driver with big cam and flowmasters/ and a race car. he said this is a race car and until it pass's smog you cannot drive it. :devil:
i take the the county smog station, and they checked everything. i have the pvc on it so that was cool, the only thing i dodn't have wAS THE (STOVE PIPE DEAL) the smog dude was really cool and said just bring the car back with the ais installed and we are good to go.
So for me to install the ais system, i would just need to run a pipe from the collector on the headers to the air cleaner? please tell me if i'm right or wrong so i know what to do for the thing to be cool. "i really dont want to buy new headers and pumps and shit like this to make it fly, its temporary and it needs to be on their until it passes smog, then it will be taken off of it same day.
thanks guys for all the help
eric
Still it sounds wrong. The cop can't tell weather you have the correct equipment on the car. He can give you a ticket to have it checked out but, 68's did'nt really have the smog pump. I know these cars inside and out and have never seen a smog pump on one. Fight it. Click on the link and start asking questions to other camaro owners. I know i'm not the onlu lucky one without smog shit on my car. Both of my cars are from the Van Nuys CA plant. I stand by with, there never was a smog pump on your car.
http://www.pro-touring.com/
Good luck with that. I'm Cdog over there too. PM me with any questions. Like I said. I've had two of these cars, and know damm near everything on them.
Headers were also a factory performance item you could have installed on 68 and 69 cars before you drove them off the lot. They deleted the stove pipe hot air deal on the air cleaner. You should be able to get away with only the pcv. Sounds like the cop was a mustang guy. :rollside:

Mighty Thor
08-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Ask that knuckle head cop how many 67, 68 and 69 z28's he has seen with the damn stove pipe! How many Cowl induction cars had it? If his answer is anything other than ZERO he is too dumb to work for the police.

Craig
08-22-2005, 07:30 AM
If you take that stuff off, don't trash it, a lot of guys will buy that stuff for correct resto's. The odd part about the air system is that when they would test cars to the California emmsions standards at the time, the manual cars would tend to fail emmisions at the shift point when the clutch was pushed in. I believe that's why in the begining you saw the air pumps only on manual cars. Eventually the air pump wouldn't cut it and in the mid 70's you couldn't get a manual trans on some California cars even though they were available in the other 49 states.
Craig

skeepwerkzaz
08-22-2005, 09:18 AM
Smog equipment was available on all three years of the gen 1. Mostly in CA. and mostly on bigblocks, but there are examples of smallblocks aswell.
Here is a pic of a '67 327 with the smog pump......http://www.camaros.org/l30m20-L30engine.gif and some dialogue....
"The exhaust manifolds were unchanged between the three engines, base 327, L30 327, or L48 350. The manifold design was the rear-exiting "log"-type, changed from the center-exiting "ram's horn"-type design that was incompatible with the position of the other engine compartment components in the Camaro. The exhaust casting numbers for 1967 were 3892679/3893608 (LH/RH w/o A.I.R.) or 3892683/3872730 (LH/RH w/ A.I.R.). In 1968 the Air Injection Reactor (A.I.R.) emission control system (a.k.a. "smog") became mandatory for all manual transmission cars; the exhaust manifolds used in 1968 were therefore the same as the 1967 A.I.R. version: 3892683/3872730 (LH/RH).
The 1968 L30 and L48 A.I.R. pumps were identical, installing differently than the smog pump on the base V-8. "

Mighty Thor
08-23-2005, 01:23 AM
Smog equipment was available on all three years of the gen 1. Mostly in CA. and mostly on bigblocks, but there are examples of smallblocks aswell.
Here is a pic of a '67 327 with the smog pump......http://www.camaros.org/l30m20-L30engine.gif and some dialogue....
"
Great picture, but I have never seen a real one, and I bet money you will never find an original set of brackets like that. Note, 67 and 68 heads had no bolt holes so everything hangs off the intake or exhaust manifolds. Still, the point is the same, if his car didn't come with it he would not have to have it to be legal.