PDA

View Full Version : No Wake Zones (New Ones)

Not So Fast
05-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Did they have them posted today? If so how was it? Could be a dangerous situation with boats coming off plane and then back on plane plus idling, smaller boats ?????????? good luck. It's a bad idea from a safety point of view isn't it??? :idea: NSF

77charger
05-06-2006, 04:53 PM
dont think that dangerous IMO.I go thru the gorge in a 21ftr getting passed by someone going 80 only 20ft away then cut across the front of bow only a couple feet is more dangerous to me.Its only going to be a short distance.I gave up on counting the near misses going thru that small part i usually cruise at 35-40

duffster
05-06-2006, 08:47 PM
I don’t like it but have seen from past experience. A lot of potential major accidents on that corner. “Devils Elbow”

checkr'd past
05-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Lets be honest here, with all the crowds getting bigger and more inexperienced boaters in the mix , its a welcomed rule. Unfortunitly I'm sure there more restrictions coming

DEMOMAN
05-07-2006, 05:54 AM
Thats probably the most beautiful stretch of the gorge. Most of the time you can't come off plane there with fear of getting run over. I think it will be nice to creep thru there and take in the scenery. I do worry about how all these boats will manuever at idle with the current. Maybe it will be like bumper boats. Guess we'll have to see how it works.

OCMerrill
05-07-2006, 07:10 AM
I have only been through the Gorge a 1/2 dozen times. For me and my boat I have to come off plane anyway. If I dont, I run the risk of stuffing the nose in one of those "confused" 3' wake sloshes.
Judging by what I see in all the other no wake zones...Lake lice will think it doesen't apply to them. :rolleyes:
Down in front of the Blue Water on the strip I rarely see a pwc crawling through that no wake 1/2 mile.

shueman
05-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Anyboby go to Topock for breakfast on Sunday....??
Was the Gorge NO WAKE....??

Huckleberry
05-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Pardon my ignorance...But where are these new No Wakes Zones???

shueman
05-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Devils Elbow / Topock Gorge is that narrow rock walled stretch of water between the the Havasu Sandbar and I-40 Bridge....
Looks like this on a summer Saturday...Click here for video (http://media.putfile.com/Devils-Elbow-2-79)

BOBALOO
05-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Who has a link to some info on the new restrictions?
I would think the video maker should expect to have lots of boats making wakes on one of the roughest and most narrow areas of the river. I am sure that it is not safe for kids or adults to swim in that stretch of the river. Go up river another 2 minutes and hang out where it is wide and the beaches are long.
Sorry I sound irritated, I never voice my opinion on here but the video maker sounds like they dont want any boats going by messing up "their" beach.

Wake Havasu
05-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Currently - Isn't the water like 9' and often less? How do props make it to the bar and beyond?

KLEPTOW
05-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Went through on Saturday, No signs as previously posted by someone.
I think they maybe blowing smoke, I will believe it when I see the signs.

Huckleberry
05-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Devils Elbow / Topock Gorge is that narrow rock walled stretch of water between the the Havasu Sandbar and I-40 Bridge....
Looks like this on a summer Saturday...Click here for video (http://media.putfile.com/Devils-Elbow-2-79)
Ahhh Sooo! Know the area well! It can be a zoo there. My biggest bitch about boats in this area is the morons coming down river around the first curve, ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE RIVER!!! Do they drive on the wrong side of the road too? Or are they just from England and must drive on that side?

Havasu_Dreamin
05-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Currently - Isn't the water like 9' and often less? How do props make it to the bar and beyond?
Props can make it up Topock no problem. THe only dicey area is the top fo the lake.

shueman
05-08-2006, 08:36 AM
I just talked to Steve at Jerkwater Canoe in Topock and he has not been informed about any change, as yet, and he talks with the Refuge Office several times a week. One of their more popular floats is Topock to Castle Rock, which can get pretty hairy on the week-ends.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-08-2006, 08:41 AM
I can appreciate you wanting to hangout in the gorge since its pretty spectacular but why would you whine about wakes and other boats going thru there? Do you idle thru there leaving no wakes? :rolleyes: Like Bobaloo said, its a rough section of the river. There are many many other beaches and coves where you can hangout and enjoy your day rather than complain about others enjoying their day.

chub
05-08-2006, 09:01 AM
I can appreciate you wanting to hangout in the gorge since its pretty spectacular but why would you whine about wakes and other boats going thru there? Do you idle thru there leaving no wakes? :rolleyes: Like Bobaloo said, its a rough section of the river. There are many many other beaches and coves where you can hangout and enjoy your day rather than complain about others enjoying their day.
We love to hang out on those beaches to watch everyone haul arse!

2Driver
05-08-2006, 11:30 AM
We were parked on the north end beach of Devils Elbow on the Cali side all day Friday (just before you make the left to leave devils elbow). No signs of no wake bouys - lots of good boat action and no one going slow.
Just anchored off a bit so the outdrive would not hit and had a great day on the beach with friends and family.

desertbird
05-08-2006, 11:41 AM
I think No Wake with that current and the turn is a little hard to maintain. Anybody else get aggrevated going upriver in front of Harrahs?
How 'bout 5 MPH? it's going to be damn near impossible to navigate without some power...... :argue:
I am all for slowing down in this turn, I just think No Wake is ridiculous.

shueman
05-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Sheesh....take a pill.... :220v:
Just following up on the news story.....we just happened to be at this beach, this one day and thought I'd share my observations.
My concern is the safety of everyone on the water. No need to get hostile about it... :argue:

Sherpa
05-09-2006, 05:40 AM
I watched that short video............ that section doesn't look that bad.....
if you guys think that's bad, come on up to the delta, where on any channel
you could come around a corner while pulling a skier, while 2 boats are
following you, also pulling skiers, and you go around a corner to find 3 more
boats coming right at you, all pulling skiers............... throw in the mix
of some hot boats as well, add the newbie-dildo boat operators, jet skis,
fishermen in 90mph bass boats...............
--sherpa

duffster
05-09-2006, 05:49 AM
It's not the boat traffic. It's the PWC owners that you need to watch for zig zagging around like retards.
Sounds like this weekend might be the last time to thunder through that corner at dusk when the water is glass.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-09-2006, 06:31 AM
Sheesh....take a pill.... :220v:
Just following up on the news story.....we just happened to be at this beach, this one day and thought I'd share my observations.
My concern is the safety of everyone on the water. No need to get hostile about it... :argue:
I wasn't being hostile but I did just take a pill. Thanks for your concern. :D