PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild Help!!

HPB
08-20-2005, 03:36 PM
I've got a friend with a 460 ford ( 2004 we think ) it's in pieces after being x-rayed for cracks and now the guy wants 4000.00 to put it back together :supp: so do you guys recomend anyone in the IE that can build it for him? waynes wants 1200.00 to do it but i'm not quite sure if he'd put in the marine requirments...... :idea:

SmokinLowriderSS
08-20-2005, 05:39 PM
There really aren't any "marine requirements" for the engine. The nearest thing to it is the need to NOT set up the engine tolerances to minimum specs (ring end gaps/bearing clearances/piston to cyl wall gaps/etc). Boat engines work in a high-load/sudden load/cool engine-sudden heating under load environment.
If a piston heats suddenly under full-throttle run, and swells to fill a cool, minimally-sized bore, BAD. If a ring expands under heat load and the ends close up completely, BAD. If oil clearances are too tight and the crank wipes a bearing from uneven heating with a foot in the throttle, BAD.
If the standard factory clearance specs are used, and set up for mid-range of those specs, everything should live a long and powerful life, barring some other failure.
OK, you MIGHT want to put brass freeze-plugs in the block and a pair of petcocks somewhere low in the block to drain the water out before winterizing (unless you live where winter never exists) :smile:
To some extent you get what you pay for. Does the $4K include a full balancing job? I'll bet the $1200 does not. The big money may include a lot of labor-intense items such as balancing, cam degreeing/checking, vlavetrain geometry checking, head and intake manifold decking/mating, checking to insure valve to piston clearances (if a moderate to steep cam is installed), head work if valve springs require it (clearance/seals/etc).
You really need to find out just exactly what your $$$$ is buying to decide if what price you decide on is worth it.

TIMINATOR
08-22-2005, 04:01 PM
There is much more to it than that. A boat motor and car motor are two entirely different things,IF DONE CORRECTLY!!!! If all you want to do is just "get by" good luck with a car engine guy. If you want to know what to do to do it RIGHT,call me during business hours and I'll explain. I have been running a complete machineshop for 20+ years. The car and boat work is about 50/50 here. Our shop is in the west Phx,AZ. area and you could also drop off any work at our Havasu house too. TIMINATOR aka: TIMM 623-877-8553