PDA

View Full Version : Havasu aerial shot

dicudmore
08-23-2005, 07:23 AM
OK how shallow is it really through here?? Freaks the G/F out every time we go up river :220v:
http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-6-70579-112_1207__Small_.JPG

Mrs. 4-B
08-23-2005, 07:27 AM
Good morning, Dan. We're usually going too fast for the depth finder to register when we head up river. Want to stay on plane (sp?)! To me it looks like its only 4 ft or so.

redneckgirl
08-23-2005, 07:28 AM
ya...I hate that part!!!! :yuk: :)
RNG

Kiddunot
08-23-2005, 07:29 AM
and i have a deep v, i better keep up on plane...................

SummitKarl
08-23-2005, 07:30 AM
it appears to be 10ft deep with the lake at 440 ft elv
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2734minisandbar.jpg

Focker
08-23-2005, 07:32 AM
[QUOTE=dicudmore]OK how shallow is it really through here?? Freaks the G/F out every time we go up river :220v:
:2purples: GET A NEW ONE :jawdrop:

cdog
08-23-2005, 07:38 AM
I used to take the west side up untill the first trip this year. I got stuck. And sucked up a bunch of that stinky mud. Nasty. Someone was doing some sort of experiment to the river this year and flushing lots of water down river from hoover dam. Something to do with the sucker fish. I think that's what made the sandbars worse this year. In the 20 years i've been going to the river we have never had a problem going up or down on the west side of the channel.

HavaPaul
08-23-2005, 07:38 AM
Looks like they are all playing follow the leader on the mark. That is the best way to go up.
Use a gps, theyre cheap and can give you a degree of compfort. I think my brother HavaSteve has some coords for you if you have one. Send him a pm.
You can also just wait until a larger boat goes up and follow him. The botton is soft if that helps. :hammerhea :eek:

dicudmore
08-23-2005, 07:47 AM
Good morning, Dan. We're usually going too fast for the depth finder to register when we head up river. Want to stay on plane (sp?)! To me it looks like its only 4 ft or so.
Good morning :D
When you guys headed up next?
It doesn't look real deep looking over the side of the boat...
never run-aground there but seems like a lot of people have...and she really freaks out like if we do hit that she and our daughter are going to be ejected and killed :(

dicudmore
08-23-2005, 07:49 AM
OK how shallow is it really through here? Freaks the G/F out every time we go up river :220v:
[QUOTE=Focker] :2purples: GET A NEW ONE :jawdrop:
thinking about it ;)

HavaPaul
08-23-2005, 07:51 AM
Cdog, quite a few years ago they were thinking af flooding the river once a year, a flood surge that would normaly happen durring winter rain, to simulate a more natural river, sand bars and such for the wildlife (fish and birds). I think they cancelled the idea for sake of peoples safety. Dont remember but i do recall them saying that it would be a subsantial "wall of water".
Scary thaught! :2purples:

HavaPaul
08-23-2005, 08:05 AM
I have run myself aground one winter after a good 10 yaers of shooting going up. cut across the south end of the reed island and got drydocked. Took me 3 hours to get her off all the while to my surprise wathing bass boats pass by me while i was waving them down for a hand. Coulnt beleive it. I would never pass someone in distress. I now now to line up early, before the entrance.
Keep in mind that your boat could come to a abrupt stop and toss everyone into the dash and out the boat. One thing you dont want to do is get banged on the head and then tossed in the drink. Though i never heard of anyone being tossed out and injured in that fashion.
When I hit, was in a smaller shallow boat, saw the bottom coming up at me and gassed it hard, i was full throttle when i came to a stop so my stop was gradual. Scared the poopers out of me anyway. no damage to the boat either.
Be carefull out there.

Mrs. 4-B
08-23-2005, 08:08 AM
Good morning :D
When you guys headed up next?
It doesn't look real deep looking over the side of the boat...
never run-aground there but seems like a lot of people have...and she really freaks out like if we do hit that she and our daughter are going to be ejected and killed :(
Next trip is the Carrera Regatta, weekend after Labor Day. Didn't spot you at all this last weekend! Hope to run into you soon (and not the sand at the mouth of the river! :jawdrop:

cdog
08-23-2005, 08:20 AM
Cdog, quite a few years ago they were thinking af flooding the river once a year, a flood surge that would normaly happen durring winter rain, to simulate a more natural river, sand bars and such for the wildlife (fish and birds). I think they cancelled the idea for sake of peoples safety. Dont remember but i do recall them saying that it would be a subsantial "wall of water".
Scary thaught! :2purples:
I was trimmin up and slow'n down at the same time. I had never seen it that shallow right there before. It was easter weekend. Either way. I've been going the other way since. They need to dredge that area a little. They probably don't want as many people going up there.

HCS
08-23-2005, 08:58 AM
I was staying with a friend in Havasu about 5 years ago and his uncle hit a sandbar in his Mastercraft. One of the passengers sitting in the back seat took the passenger side window clean off as she went flying out the front of their boat. She got knocked out and cut up real bad probably would have drowned except she landed on her back in only a couple of inches of water. Everyone was thrown from the boat....The driver had been standing in the walk-thru so he could see the shallow spots and flew out without with no injuries. There were 2 other passengers riding in the bow that had minor injuries. And one other rear passenger who made it out cleanly, but no one knows how.
What is crazy is that the driver got in the boat and just drove the mastercraft off the mud!!! The boat was almost dry!!! Luckily there were no rocks, but that focker didn't ding his prop or or bend his prop shaft!!! This happened right at sunset and everyone was loaded. They all showed up at midnight after a visit to the hospital. I checked the boat out the next day, with exception to the passenger windows, there was no damage to the boat. The fixed the window that day and took the boat out with no problems.
Wow. That's pretty radical. :sqeyes: I guess make sure you know how deep the water is before blasting into uncharted territory.

No Regrets
08-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Trim it High & Let it fly.
http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-6-70579-112_1207__Small_.JPG
Its always best to hug west (topside in pic) rather than east thru there.
Very cool pic- When was it taken?
PS-You gotta love the balls on the guy at the bottom, left of the pic.

AzLakeLizard
08-23-2005, 10:00 AM
OK how shallow is it really through here?? Freaks the G/F out every time we go up river :220v:
Hey there!. I recognize that photo!...lol
That is our plane... Mardonzi took DeezNuts up for a quick fly over the lake just to show him the veiw from above!... Deez had a great flight!.. took tons of pics!

Not So Fast
08-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Summit man, gotta disagree with you on that depth with the lake at 440 elev. Right now it may be 8-10 ft in depth but the lake is about 448-448.6 and the passage is pretty easy to make, just check the elev. ###'s if you are not sure or not a frequent flyer in that area. Above 446 is usually cool but when it goes below that you better know just where to go and dont get off plane because those sandbars get real big, been there and done that, embarrassing also :wink: NSF

Racer277
08-23-2005, 10:01 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2734minisandbar.jpg
Doesn't it say that it's 5' deep on the east and 10' deep on the west side, or am I reading your chart wrong?
Cool chart Karl, how ya been?

SummitKarl
08-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Summit man, gotta disagree with you on that depth with the lake at 440 elev. Right now it may be 8-10 ft in depth but the lake is about 448-448.6 and the passage is pretty easy to make, just check the elev. ###'s if you are not sure or not a frequent flyer in that area. Above 446 is usually cool but when it goes below that you better know just where to go and dont get off plane because those sandbars get real big, been there and done that, embarrassing also :wink: NSF
hey my numbers may be wrong,(still hung over from Steamboat Saturday) that map is pushing 10yrs old. hold please!........... while I scan the correct portion in and post it.

BajaMike
08-23-2005, 10:21 AM
I've seen it as shallow as 2 to 3 feet on my depth gage, but never had a problem.....just keep the trim up and stay on plane.
:rollside:

BajaMike
08-23-2005, 10:21 AM
That is our plane... Mardonzi took DeezNuts up for a quick fly over the lake just to show him the veiw from above!... Deez had a great flight!.. took tons of pics!
Let's see some more photos...... :D

AzLakeLizard
08-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Let's see some more photos...... :D
Ok.. let me see if I can remember how to do that over here... lol

dicudmore
08-23-2005, 10:29 AM
hey you :D
I bet you know where I borrowed that pic from too :D :D
Thank you guys for the pics

lewiville
08-23-2005, 10:29 AM
when I go through there 2 things
1. use the gps to get me through
2. depth finder, it gets a shallow as 4 ft

SummitKarl
08-23-2005, 10:36 AM
the correct numbers (this time)
this is for a lake level of 450 ft
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2734depth.jpg

AzLakeLizard
08-23-2005, 10:45 AM
hey you :D
I bet you know where I borrowed that pic from too :D :D
Thank you guys for the pics
Hey there!.. I was going to try and post some more.. but the work puter won't let me do it.. I do have them in the image center though! :hammerhea

dicudmore
08-23-2005, 10:51 AM
Hey there!.. I was going to try and post some more.. but the work puter won't let me do it.. I do have them in the image center though! :hammerhea
I'll just hijack the rest from LVHB :wink:

AzLakeLizard
08-23-2005, 10:52 AM
I'll just hijack the rest from LVHB :wink:
That works! :wink:

dicudmore
08-23-2005, 11:04 AM
http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-6-70299-112_1205__Small_.JPG
http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-6-70391-112_1218__Small_.JPG
http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-6-70441-112_1222__Small_.JPG

Mardonzi
08-23-2005, 12:10 PM
TnB pointed you guys out to us as we were heading up to Moabi on Saturday,, too bad we didn't get a chance to actually meet.

Nord
08-23-2005, 12:12 PM
My boat is out there today!!! My parents took it out and launched out of Jack smith, near needles marina! I wish I could get an arial of today to track em!!

HavaPaul
08-23-2005, 12:19 PM
Use east entrance only. Like stated though, the water level is up so realy you could get up anywhere. When the water goes back down you will wish you took the east entrance. The flow through this erea changes every 10 to 15 years from side to side. Used to use the west side 10 or so years ago.
The map might be old but you can clearly see what is deeper than other areas by the color. I see brighter colors on the west side. JMHO

BarryMac
08-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Hey Dan, the answer to the question is "JetBoat" :D :D I never notice how shallow it is...

Havasteve
08-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Doesn't it say that it's 5' deep on the east and 10' deep on the west side, or am I reading your chart wrong?
Cool chart Karl, how ya been?
Dont use that map, that thing is 15 years old, the west side used to be the way about 5 years ago, now it's the middle, I've been eyeballing that place from the air for many years, it changed when Havasu was dropped to a record low to poor a new launch ramp down by the springs, the low water level cut a new channel down the middle,, at that time not to many would venture up that way. Went up there yesterday, the weeds are getting tall so it looks worse than it really is, the water is high now.

Nord
08-23-2005, 12:38 PM
when I go through there 2 things
1. use the gps to get me through
2. depth finder, it gets a shallow as 4 ft
Dude, I just throw the stick down from Needle's, Jack Smith, or park Mowabe, and stay in the middle!
Never had a problem in years.

dicudmore
08-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Dont use that map, that thing is 15 years old, the west side used to be the way about 5 years ago, now it's the middle, I've been eyeballing that place from the air for many years, it changed when Havasu was dropped to a record low to poor a new launch ramp down by the springs, the low water level cut a new channel down the middle,, at that time not to many would venture up that way. Went up there yesterday, the weeds are getting tall so it looks worse than it really is, the water is high now.
middle being basically where the boats in the picture are running?
I subscribe to the theory of trim up and nail it, and have never had a problem in years of running up and down there...however with so many stories of groundings I wonder if its just been good luck :idea:

Havasu_Dreamin
08-23-2005, 01:52 PM
middle being basically where the boats in the picture are running?
I usually stay a little closer to the reed island that are West of the boats in the picture.

DEEZ NUTTS
08-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Another shot of the mouth. You can see the ripples in the sand underwater from the air. These pics were taken yesterday at about 10a.m.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/830112_1226_Small_.JPG
An airial shocker by Mardonzi
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/830112_1221_Small_.JPG