PDA

View Full Version : water pressure????

n8dawg
08-23-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm sure there's been postes about this before but call me lazy whatever.
I blew out my head gaskets awhile ago ( no major damage though) becaude I messed with the water pressure, I opened my valve up all the way. Stupid, stupid, stupid....rookie mistake.
So I bought a water pressure regulator ( pre set @ 15 psi ) mounted it into the line coming from the pump and before it goes into the block. We kept the boat on the trailer and started it up. The temp rose to 180 so we shut it down. I noticed that the gauge wasn't reading at an idle but when you got into it a little it would rise to 15 psi. I took the regulator off and turned the existing valve till the temp got up to 140, took it out for a spin and once we were going the temp droped down to 120. When we returned we sat out an let it idle around and the temp shot back up to 180+.
Now I've seen people regulate pressure going into the block, I have to valves, one for going in and one for going out that are adjustable. Does the one going out need to be adjusted? Does it matter how fast the water exits the engine? And what do you guys use to regulate pressure. I'm stuck!
My cooling lines go like this: a hose coming from the pump to a adjustable valve then out to a tee in the front of the block where it goes into the engine ( where the water pump would be ) then I have 2 hoses coming out of the water neck on the intake, one tees off and goes to the headers and the other goes into another ajustable valve and exits through the transom. If this isn't right please tell me, but I don't have time to fix it right now. I just need a quick fix. Thank you.

Hustler
08-23-2005, 03:21 PM
At wide open throttle your block pressure should be 25psi. my motor runs about 120 all day long it might climb a little more when I idle around for long time but not by much. also if you take the pressure reg. apart pull the screen that inside of it, if you dont it get clogged at some point.

n8dawg
08-23-2005, 03:28 PM
when you guys say "block pressure" is that the same as water press. ?

n8dawg
08-23-2005, 04:02 PM
ttt

Hustler
08-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Where are you taking the reading from?

Hustler
08-23-2005, 04:08 PM
by the way I dont see a problem with the way you have it plumbed right now. I would think that you could open the exit valve all the way and see where your pressure and temps run

Danhercules
08-23-2005, 04:11 PM
I run no pressure regulators.
I have the same plumbing as you.
I keep the dump valve wide open. If you close this, you will raise water pressure in your block.
I have a gate vlave, I have mine open 3/4 of a turn. In other words, from full closed, I open it 3/4 of a turn. I know thats not a lot. My boat runs about 120 to 130. I get just a heavy mist out of my headers. Its perfect. I was always worried about how much volume of water I was flowing with the valve opened so little. I saw some pics of my boat, and I have a heavy stream commin out the back, PLENTY OF WATER!
Some say not to do this cause of hot spots and such, but jet boats have been running like this for years, why fix somthin that aint broke!! :hammerhea

460 jus getn it
08-23-2005, 04:14 PM
i have my in comming gate valve turned 1 turn down. my out going is all the way open. i run 160 at idle and 120 wot. i get water to my headers at 2300rpm.

n8dawg
08-23-2005, 04:42 PM
thanks for the info guys! That gives me something to go off of.

SmokinLowriderSS
08-23-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm running logs so my plumbing is a bit different (my logs pre-heat the water to the engine) but I have an incoming gate valve (open about 1 full turn from closed) and my water exits behind my snails. I run about 170 at idle and about 130 from cruising to WFO. Been like this all but the first couple years when there was a restrictor in line and dad blew the line off the steel inlet line in a race. He cut the restrictor out and installed the gate valve direct on the incoming line. Never had any problems at all. Mine ain't broke either. :D

MandDPerformance
08-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Rex Marine in La Verne sells bypass regulators that are adjustable. It would go in place of your existing incoming valve. The bypass is a t valve that releases excess water out of the boat when the incoming pressure from the pump overcomes the regulator pressure you have set. I like this set up because your not limiting the water to the engine which means you never get hot spots......Or you could build a V-Drive and not worry about it. :shift: :shift:
All joking aside I have set this set up on 4 performance jet boats and have never seen a problem.

Brooski
08-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Nate, DanHerc is right on. Mine is set up the same way. Inlet is open approximately 3/4 from closed, leave dump valve wide open. Temp will rise approximately 40 degrees or so at an idle, then go back down under speed. You may need to fine tune the valve at the lake by 1/8 turn or so to get the right temp. See ya at the lake......

n8dawg
08-23-2005, 06:08 PM
alrighty... I made the change. 3/4 turn on the inlet and wide open on the dump valve. See how it does this weekend, leaving for Laughlin Thurs. night for four days. I know... I really wanted togo to the CBBB, but the boat wasn't ready :frown: Anyways thanks for being prompt with your advise guys. :)

Brooski
08-23-2005, 06:13 PM
Hey while you are there, could you help out 78 Southwind, NuckinFuts and Squirtin Thunder? All three of them lost their engines while at CBBB. If you find them, let us know.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Oh yeah, and DanHercules lost the race there too :p

Danhercules
08-23-2005, 07:46 PM
Oh yeah, and DanHercules lost the race there too :p
ERRR, How did I loose when you NEVER passed me? IF you never passed me, that makes me the winner! :D

Brooski
08-23-2005, 08:04 PM
ERRR, How did I loose when you NEVER passed me? IF you never passed me, that makes me the winner! :D
But...you took this picture with my camera as soon as the race was over.... :boxingguy lol You did not say anything about my indicating #1 then.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/1818CBBB_2005_007.jpg

Danhercules
08-23-2005, 08:12 PM
I remeber that, you said, "One more race, please Dan, I know I can beat you this time" :D :D :D :D

Brooski
08-23-2005, 08:14 PM
I remeber that, you said, "One more race, please Dan, I know I can beat you this time" :D :D :D :D
Uh no! I think it was more like "Buy me one beer and I will tell you who won." ;)

Danhercules
08-23-2005, 08:19 PM
Uh no! I think it was more like "Buy me one beer and I will tell you who won." ;)
Now thats funny right there!!!!!!!!! :D :D

n8dawg
08-30-2005, 07:39 PM
thanks for everyone's help. The boat ran better than ever @ 130 degrees. Thanks to Danhercules.I went with your advise and it seemed to work out just fine....160 @ idle....130 @ cruzin speeds. Thanks again.
peace

Brooski
08-30-2005, 09:34 PM
Hey, I agreed with him.......................... :rolleyes:

Danhercules
08-31-2005, 08:06 AM
thanks for everyone's help. The boat ran better than ever @ 130 degrees. Thanks to Danhercules.I went with your advise and it seemed to work out just fine....160 @ idle....130 @ cruzin speeds. Thanks again.
peace
Glad to hear it worked out.
Be sure to check the water out of your headers. Should be a fine to heavy mist, no water dripping. If there is, I just turn the gate valve down a 1/8 of a turn.

Unchained
08-31-2005, 08:33 AM
It took me years of different setups to get it to work as well as it does now.
I restricted the fitting at the pump to 5/16" ID
The line from the pump goes to a 1/2" NPT four way fitting that feeds the engine, bypass valve, and intercooler. I have a gate valve going to the intercooler open 1 1/2 turns.
This setup runs the engine at 140 to 150 degrees cruising and it goes up to 180 degrees idling through a long no wake zone.
Looking behind the boat the water is shooting out the engine dump line 4' and from the intercooler dump line 2'. Block pressure is 10# while cruising and goes up to about 30# at WOT.
Another thing that made a large difference was that I went up to 3/4 " ID line to and from the engine, I was getting more radical temp swings before with 1/2" line. Thanks to Duane O. for that good advise.
My setup may be a little different than others because I have to allow for the 380+ # of bowl pressure that I get at WOT.
Before I restricted the fitting at the pump I was burying the needle on the 60# water pressure gauge on top of the intake manifold crossover.

n8dawg
08-31-2005, 10:40 AM
and a half thank you to Roger! Oh and by the way... when do I get another shot at ya?

Brooski
08-31-2005, 12:23 PM
Hmm, well, first of all you have to show up at one of the events. J/k.
I may be at Naci for Labor Day weekend, dont know if I am taking the boat or not. Out of town the next weekend. It will happen. I really want you to get to know what the back of my boat looks like.... :D :D

n8dawg
08-31-2005, 12:39 PM
lol :D