PDA

View Full Version : Brother-in-law finally gets it wet

old rigger
08-23-2005, 06:22 PM
after three years it's least painted, running and (more importantly) floating.
He just needs to find a big bucket of money to finish up the interior and stuff like that.
Parts are very pricey for these things, 7K for the trans alone!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/DSCN15002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/DSCN15152.jpg

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-23-2005, 06:25 PM
That is sick:) I am jealous. No need to park the trailer or any of that bs! Pretty slick if ya ask me;)

FOURQ
08-23-2005, 06:32 PM
sweet ride how do they do in the chop?

taylormanss
08-23-2005, 06:36 PM
how fast is that thing?what year is it?

jrork
08-23-2005, 06:45 PM
Killer fins on that thing. We were once on American lake and saw a red one of those drive down the boat ramp and motor out to a island where there are some houses. This one house has a boat ramp and it just motored over to his house and right up the boatramp/driveway. Sick!
What do the door seals look like on one of those??

454-ways-to-go
08-23-2005, 06:46 PM
nice :) , but where is the ski pole???? :idea:

Nucking futs
08-23-2005, 06:47 PM
Those things are cool as hell. I have a freind that has 3 of them. He spent some serious coin on them too.
Sweet ride.

Ken F
08-23-2005, 06:51 PM
They were called an Amphicar 770, and had a top speed of 7mph on water and 70mph on land. (hence the model 770) it is moved in the water by twin nylon propellers at the rear. The transmission is a 4-speed/reverse similar to the old Volkswagen Beetles. I believe the transmissions were built by Hermes, a german company which built the transmissions for Porsche.
If memory serves correctly, they had a seperate transmission for the propellers, which had forward and reverse, and ran a 4'cyl. triumph engine.
Ken F

Wicked Performance Boats
08-23-2005, 06:53 PM
I hate to say BUT I remember when those were new! I alway had a soft spot in my heart for them. I remember they didn't go very fast and the propshaft seals were prone to leak but a great piece of boat/automobile history. Budlight

jrork
08-23-2005, 07:01 PM
"Seals go bad and are prone to leak but still a good piece of history." That's kinda what I tell the wife about me. :D

old rigger
08-23-2005, 07:17 PM
Ken,
the trans is not seperate, that's why it was 7 grand. It operates the props and the trans for the street. He bought it with out the trans but only 6000 on the engine so it was a wash. They have little Triumph engines in them. Some guy in Santa Fe Springs bought out the factory back when they went out of biz and he's just about the only game in town when it comes to parts.
My brother in law grew up on Catilina Island and he can remember when they first came out, a guy drove one over to the island from Long Beach as a stunt. He's going to do the same next year with his.
Seals are not a problem, from what he's been told, but rust is a mother. You'd be hard pressed to lock a cat in one that's not been restored, provided the top was up of course....his was full of cancer and like I said, it's a very low milage car/boat.

sidewound
08-23-2005, 07:31 PM
Col post OR! :p
I know a guy here who has a white one. He told me only 600 some registered and running in the world. That sound right???
It was pretty cool to just roll down the ramp and hit the water although he didn't venture far from shore. :D
The doors had a seperate latch to pull them in tight to make them seaworthy. (Well kinda)
I've seen them since I was a kid but never that color.
Peace Man!
CESAR
Ken,
the trans is not seperate, that's why it was 7 grand. It operates the props and the trans for the street. He bought it with out the trans but only 6000 on the engine so it was a wash. They have little Triumph engines in them. Some guy in Santa Fe Springs bought out the factory back when they went out of biz and he's just about the only game in town when it comes to parts.
My brother in law grew up on Catilina Island and he can remember when they first came out, a guy drove one over to the island from Long Beach as a stunt. He's going to do the same next year with his.
Seals are not a problem, from what he's been told, but rust is a mother. You'd be hard pressed to lock a cat in one that's not been restored, provided the top was up of course....his was full of cancer and like I said, it's a very low milage car/boat.

old rigger
08-23-2005, 07:47 PM
I've seen them since I was a kid but never that color.
Peace Man!
CESAR
Yeah, he went with a non stock color. It's pretty nice up close too.
600 sounds about right I would guess. They're pretty rare. I know they have a club and stuff like that.
I learned they call them floaters and sinkers. lol

olbiezer
08-23-2005, 08:39 PM
always wanted one of those but just seemed a little too far out of reach of my wallet lol nice rig

victorfb
08-23-2005, 08:46 PM
i just saw one a couple weeks ago pull into lazy harry's parking lot, but i didnt see him launch it. not sure if he did. but still a way cool car. the german military had a symilar car and im pretty sure that were this one derives from, if i remember the television program corectly.

BarryMac
08-24-2005, 06:19 AM
Those cars are totally cool, they just had a small get together at a lake about a mile from my house, I think they said that there were 5 of them there. Your Bro-in-laws is great looking, nice to see something other than the normal red color...

old rigger
08-24-2005, 06:38 AM
my bro in law launched this past weekend at lake hodges. said there were about 8 alltogether.

BarryMac
08-24-2005, 07:55 AM
my bro in law launched this past weekend at lake hodges. said there were about 8 alltogether.
Yeap, that was the Regatta :D , I only got too see it on the News, wish I would have known, the lake is about a mile from my house, I would have gone down to check them out...