PDA

View Full Version : A question for all the parents out there.....

Vada
08-24-2005, 07:35 AM
How old was your child when they first started walking?
The reason why I ask is my daughter just recently turned 13 months old and doesn't at all seem interested in taking her first steps. She crawled and everything else at a fairly early age. However, no interest in walking yet.
Should this be of concern or it is one of those things where she'll do it all in good time?

Vada
08-24-2005, 07:42 AM
anybody?

HM
08-24-2005, 07:45 AM
My first one walked at 7 months and my second one walked at 10 months. My third is only 5 months, and she is starting to pull herself up to stand. I have heard it taking as long as a 1.5 years - I don't think you have anything to worry about.

BarryMac
08-24-2005, 07:46 AM
My olderst didn't start until 18 months, she was a lazy baby, my middle daughter started at about 16 months and my youngest daughter was about 13 months, heck the youngest ran before she walked. :) Your daughter will be walking before you know it, then you wont be able to stop her... :) :)

doesitfloat?
08-24-2005, 08:13 AM
Don't sweat it...my daughter started at 12 mo and my son at 15. The docs were all set to do some brain scans and other tests on y son since he wasn't even table walking. Then 2 days before the tests, he just starts walking across the room!
Now they're both very active in sports, etc (6 & 4).
Nothing to worry about. In fact, once she's walking, you'll miss the days when she could only crawl!

Vada
08-24-2005, 08:14 AM
I already miss the days when she couldn't even crawl :p

missboatnam1
08-24-2005, 08:15 AM
seriously, she will be fine...but when she does start walking look out shes going to take off, it will be like baby steps into big steps....my youngest did the same thing...good luck!! ;)

syke-o
08-24-2005, 08:16 AM
dont sweat it... they all start waling at different ages... same thing goes with talking, and toilet training... they all eventually get it

Vada
08-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Thanks everyone!
I think I'll just relax and enjoy these days when she isn't walking.
Can you believe that my daughters first word was "No"? Now it's all no, no, no.
Wouldn't change her for the world though! :D

ShutYaPieHole
08-24-2005, 08:21 AM
Hell im 34 and i cant walk. I trip and fall at least once a day.
She'll be fine.....

Vada
08-24-2005, 08:22 AM
True enough.....
I just fell in a ditch myself over the weekend! :squiggle:

doesitfloat?
08-24-2005, 08:24 AM
Can you believe that my daughters first word was "No"? Now it's all no, no, no.
:D
Yes, I can. Must be a woman thing. My wife is constantly telling me "NO". :wink:

Billy Heinlein
our daughter was 8 months

Wally_Gator
My daughter took her first steps on her first birthday.
It has been all down hill from there... She is into everything.
And yes.. I am wrapped around her finger...

Vada
08-24-2005, 08:25 AM
How could you not be?

Captain Dan
08-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Both of my kids walked at 10 months. It'll all happen in good time - when they are ready, it'll happen, Cap'n.
Remember, once they learn to walk, the next step is them running, with you behind trying to catch them !

missboatnam1
08-24-2005, 08:30 AM
Hell im 34 and i cant walk. I trip and fall at least once a day.
She'll be fine.....
LOL :mix: :mix: :mix:

Mrs_Wally_Gator
08-24-2005, 09:24 AM
My daughter took her first steps on her first birthday.
It has been all down hill from there... She is into everything.
I can vouch for him being wrapped around her finger. Then again I don't know many men who are not wrapped around their daughter's fingers. My oldest boy started walking at 9 months and I do not remember when my youngest son started walking. Cherish the days when you still have to carry her across the parking lots cause once she starts walking, you won't even be able to get her to hold your hand to cross. Not to mention that once they start walking, they start getting REALY independent.

Bre
08-24-2005, 10:15 AM
Kailey started walking at 9 months and Kendall not til she was 15 months :( Each kid is way different.

Mohave Vice
08-24-2005, 10:34 AM
Our daughter started walking at 12-13 months. Our son started at 8 months. Don't figure!!! You'll be fine in due time.

ahhell
08-24-2005, 10:39 AM
dont rush it...the next thing you know their driving :cry:

Vada
08-24-2005, 11:01 AM
dont rush it...the next thing you know their driving :cry:
I seriously dont even want to think about that!!! :eek:

Ziggy
08-24-2005, 11:08 AM
First walked at 6 mo. second more around 9 mo or so. But as Ahhell says, don't rush it, they get into many more things once they really start motoring around

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
08-24-2005, 11:15 AM
My kids were 9 and 10 months, don't worry every one is different..............
Like loosing teeth............all the kids I know lost em in kinder and 1st grd...............
My oldest son is in 6th grade and has only lost his front top and bottom 4 so all together 8................. my youngest is in 1st grade and has'nt lost any !!!! Now whats up with that????? :jawdrop:

Vada
08-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Like loosing teeth............all the kids I know lost em in kinder and 1st grd...............
My oldest son is in 6th grade and has only lost his front top and bottom 4 so all together 8................. my youngest is in 1st grade and has'nt lost any !!!! Now whats up with that????? :jawdrop:
I remember being in grade nine and still had 2 baby teeth that hadn't fallen out yet. Finally, I went to the dentist and he pulled them out!

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
08-24-2005, 11:27 AM
I remember being in grade nine and still had 2 baby teeth that hadn't fallen out yet. Finally, I went to the dentist and he pulled them out!
OUCH !!!!!! I hope my oldest does'nt need that !!! He'd die!!!! :eek: :hammerhea

JackieV
08-24-2005, 12:28 PM
My little mamma started walking at 14 months. And I thought she'd start at 9 months like myself...but nope I've learned that our children will DEFINATELY be different from ourselves. ( I realized that when I tried giving her fresh milk at 9 months too, thinking she would be just like me...a whole day of cleaning baby pooh & throw-up showed me! I felt sooooo bad. :confused: )

Ultracrazy
08-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Nothing to worry about. In fact, once she's walking, you'll miss the days when she could only crawl!
Amen

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-24-2005, 04:23 PM
My daughter walked 2 weeks after her 1st birthday, and my son waited almost 16 months. He was my baby, so I savored the fact that he wasn't walking yet. Now he won't let me kiss him anymore :cry:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-24-2005, 04:25 PM
I have heard that the longer they keep their baby teeth, the stonger their permanent teeth will be.
My daughter was the only child in 1st grade who hadn't lost any teeth. They will fall out eventually :p

pixilatedpussy
08-24-2005, 04:32 PM
How old was your child when they first started walking?
The reason why I ask is my daughter just recently turned 13 months old and doesn't at all seem interested in taking her first steps. She crawled and everything else at a fairly early age. However, no interest in walking yet.
Should this be of concern or it is one of those things where she'll do it all in good time?
Hey sweetie...dont be concerned...they all do it in their own time. Just keep working with her. Does she have a walker? My kids both motored around in that thing!!! Our boys walked very early..my oldest was 9 mos and the youngest was 8 mos....but trust me...they were riding bikes at 2 & motorcross at 3!! Abnormal! She will walk soon enough! And when she does, you will miss the little days!!! :p Dont worry!! Love ya...Tina :p

pixilatedpussy
08-24-2005, 04:33 PM
I have heard that the longer they keep their baby teeth, the stonger their permanent teeth will be.
My daughter was the only child in 1st grade who hadn't lost any teeth. They will fall out eventually :p
Good to know, because both our boys haven't lost very many teeth at all!!! :confused: :smile:

PHX ATC
08-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Right around 1 year old.
Relax, you don't have to worry. Worry causes gray hairs and wrinkles. :D
Seriously, call your doctor if you are concerned. Kids are on their own timetable. They are for life. :smile:

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
08-24-2005, 05:09 PM
I sooooo hope so. My boy's are so not good with shots..........they'ed probally have to strap em down!!!! :jawdrop:

jtmarten
08-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Both mine were right around 12mo. I've read that the longer they crawl, the more coordinated they'll be later on. Don't know if its true, but there were findings released to that effect a few years ago.

bchbum
08-24-2005, 07:58 PM
Our older twin started walking at 11 months , the younger & smaller 1 at 13 months . 1 has lost most of her baby teeth , the other about half . In November they'll be 10 already .

Wicked Game
08-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Both mine were right around 12mo. I've read that the longer they crawl, the more coordinated they'll be later on. Don't know if its true, but there were findings released to that effect a few years ago.
I din't know about that either. Of my three kids, two walked at about 9 months and one didn't walk until 13 months. When he did final walk he was severely pegion toed. As normal parents, we were concerned and consulted doctors. They recomended all kinds of tests, braces and therapy. We declined and let it alone. All 3 kids are very coordinated and good athletes. Oh, and the one that walked late played Pop Warner and varsity HS football. He play strong safety and wide reciever and was the fastest on both teams.

HM
08-24-2005, 08:53 PM
My first one walked at 7 months and only crawled for a 1/2 day, and he has incredible coordination from balance to eye-to-hand. He can already hit slow pitch balls at 4 years old, rides his bicycle without training wheels, does bunny hops on his scooter, stands on his head and is darn near close to standing on his hands. And a million other things. So, I am not sure if that statistic is real or just made up to make parents feel better or if my son is just gifted? My 2 year old that walked at 10 mo's has about the same coordination.

Raskal
08-24-2005, 09:04 PM
my little girl walk about a week after her 1st b day .and my boy walked at 9 1/2 months and was rideing his bike with no traning wheels at 3 1/2 .every kid is very differnt :D

Vada
08-25-2005, 06:17 AM
Well it certainly looks as though every kid is different. I think I'll just sit back and enjoy these days when I can actually keep up with her.
They do grow up too fast. I remember when my daughter would actually want to give mommy and daddy kisses. She's only 13 months and now she's already pushing us away and shaking her head no :cry:
Everybody is now trying to convince us to cut our daughter's hair (she's had very long hair from the day she was born). What's the big deal anyway??? We want her to have long hair. I've been putting her hair in pigtails and little bows since she was 3-4 months old and I love it. :smile:

pixilatedpussy
08-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Well it certainly looks as though every kid is different. I think I'll just sit back and enjoy these days when I can actually keep up with her.
They do grow up too fast. I remember when my daughter would actually want to give mommy and daddy kisses. She's only 13 months and now she's already pushing us away and shaking her head no :cry:
Everybody is now trying to convince us to cut our daughter's hair (she's had very long hair from the day she was born). What's the big deal anyway??? We want her to have long hair. I've been putting her hair in pigtails and little bows since she was 3-4 months old and I love it. :smile:
CUTE!! Dont cut it!!! :redface: