PDA

View Full Version : Warning

Sangerboy
08-24-2005, 08:16 AM
I thought the word was out pretty well on this, but my oldest daughter Stephanie lost a classmate this last weekend in a boating accident. Her friend was visiting home in Washington state for the weekend and went boating. Unfortunately she went "teak surfing" passed out and drowned. If you have friends or family who might be practicing this fun but extremely dangerous activity please continue to spread the message of how dangerous it is. I hope I never have to hear of another life lost this way. Greg

olbiezer
08-24-2005, 08:24 AM
sanger what is that teak surfing anyway?

Larry
08-24-2005, 08:52 AM
Tragic news:
http://www.komotv.com/stories/38693.htm

Sangster
08-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Sorry to hear that Greg.. It happens alot.....Seems they have their boats running when tied to other boats to charge the battery's for the sterio.. Again, sorry to hear of the lose........

steve d
08-24-2005, 12:34 PM
Sorry to hear that Greg.. It happens alot.....Seems they have their boats running when tied to other boats to charge the battery's for the sterio.. Again, sorry to hear of the lose........
My Daughter's best friend and brother were subjected to carbon monoxide just sitting on the back of their boat, (not running---the one next to it was)..........this was two 2 or 3 years ago at London Bridge----she was revived by the paramedics, and the brother drowned. Our heart goes out to the family.........Steve, Kris, and Jenni.

Sangerboy
08-24-2005, 01:12 PM
sanger what is that teak surfing anyway?
olbiezer, it is usually done with tournament style ski boats. They just hang on to the swimstep (usually teak) while the boat travels at idle or a relatively slow speed. Unfortunately under certain conditions it greatly increases the chance of CO poisening.

waterwitch
08-24-2005, 04:51 PM
We used to do it as kids, till one of the girls
with us did a nose dive straight to the bottom.
She was in the center, taking in all the Carbon,
but luckily my sister grabbed her.
I am so sorry this has happened! Here is Havasu
they play a recorded message to help get the
word out of the danger.

h2oski2fast
08-24-2005, 05:00 PM
My Daughter's best friend and brother were subjected to carbon monoxide just sitting on the back of their boat, (not running---the one next to it was)..........this was two 2 or 3 years ago at London Bridge----she was revived by the paramedics, and the brother drowned. Our heart goes out to the family.........Steve, Kris, and Jenni.
You might want to get that story straight. It had nothing to do with alcohal consumption?!?

ECeptor
08-24-2005, 05:01 PM
July 4th weekend 2004 at Perry Lake (near Topeka, Ks) a gal drowned and another nearly drowned after CO poisoning. I didn't realize it could occur on the water like that. Didn't realize even through I'm a safety nazi at work and been through hazmat training, confinded space training, etc. Now when I go to a party cove, I tell all my guests about the gal from Perry and ask them to be on the look-out.
Scary stuff. My deepest sympathy to her family.

steve d
08-24-2005, 05:22 PM
You might want to get that story straight. It had nothing to do with alcohal consumption?!?
Guess you didn't read the autopsy.........Steve

Thunderbutt
08-25-2005, 09:31 AM
Isn't that why the ski racers went to the 200 foot rope, because they were passing out with the increse speed.
Teak surfing is against the law in Mo