PDA

View Full Version : my 455 olds

v-drive
08-02-2003, 08:23 PM
Well we finally got the engine running. First we had some timing issues and that was fairly easy. Then once it started we couldn't keep it running unless we kept it chocked. We decided to call it a night when we noticed a drain on the battery and I was also quite frustrated. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening.
:confused: :( v-drive
[ August 03, 2003, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: v-drive ]

Moneypitt
08-02-2003, 09:49 PM
Need more info.....Moneypitt

v-drive
08-03-2003, 05:58 AM
It has the 830 holley mechanical without a choke. As soon as it would start it would die and also a huge backfire but only through the secondaries. we did a makeshift butterfly and it started and ran for a few minutes but once we opened the choke it died. While running it ran really strong. I really don't know what else to say. oh yeah it does have a proform Hei, that has vacuum advance so we ran a line to the manifold. I don't know if that means anything. Thanks moneypit......
:cool: V-drive

Moneypitt
08-03-2003, 08:41 AM
After starting, the only reason to have to restrict the air flow is the lack of enough fuel flow to keep the mixture right. This condition sounds like a vacuum leak, or the secondary butterflys cracked open just enough to lean the intake out, but not enough to make the secondary main jets flow. Does the carb have a vac port in the back?? OR are the carb and manifold getting a good seal?
From what you've said, I would assume that it will run above idle, but dies when the Rs come down to idle. If this is the case, it COULD be tight valves. What, if any, method of valve adjustment do you have, I know stockers don't have any adjustment, but aftermarket pieces are available, and if too tight the motor will sound great reved up but won't idle, a simular condition to a solid lifter cam, with hyd. lifters which causes way to much overlap.
Any intake pops (backfires) can be caused by lean conditions (vacuum leak) or an open intake valve when the spark occurs. Hope this helps..Moneypitt

v-drive
08-03-2003, 09:45 AM
Thanks moneypit,one more thing. I bought this on line and it was from a rebuild house back east. What settings on the needle valves should there be,I only ask because I'm not even sure they have been set or should I worry until I have it running

Moneypitt
08-03-2003, 10:39 PM
Tha valves I refered to are the intake and exhaust valves. Have you checked well for a vacuum leak?

v-drive
08-04-2003, 02:15 AM
I am not going to work this week so I will be checking the vacuum today. We think the tightness in the valves is an issue and are also going to address that. Thanks again....v-drive