PDA

View Full Version : Mallory Ignition

West Coast Dave
09-18-2002, 03:06 PM
When using a Mallory Magnetic Breakerless distributor do you need to run a ballast resistor? The guy that had the boat before had a Unilite w/ a ballast resistor in place. We have a new Magnetic Breakerless to replace the Unilite. If we do need a ballast resistor what kind of voltage should I get on the coil side. I was reading only 3.8 - 4.0 volts before. Thanx!

78Eliminator
09-18-2002, 03:08 PM
hey

Oldsquirt
09-18-2002, 04:23 PM
Dave, if you go to www.mrgasket.com (http://www.mrgasket.com) , you can find instruction sheets for Mallory products. It appears that the Unilite and Magnetic Breakerless wire up exactly the same.
[ September 18, 2002, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: OLDSQUIRT ]

Dennis Moore
09-18-2002, 05:20 PM
West Coast Dave,
Yep, that thing won't last long without a resistor! Not much of an ignition with that resistor in place though, same amount of poop as a points ignition!
Dennis

HM
09-18-2002, 05:28 PM
Before I got my Crane Hi6R ignition, I had to run 2 ballast resistors in series.
Now the Crane ignition takes advantage of the optical trigger in the unilite and the combo has turned out to work well. Bye-bye ballast resistors!

HammerDown
09-18-2002, 06:41 PM
Hey Dennis...maybe you can tell me just why the Pertronix Ignitor-2 won't work on the Mallory #YL670 Dual point dist????
My dual point distributor has been more than dependable...and seems to work fine for the rpm's I'm turning...but if I could, I would like to try the above unit.

Dennis Moore
09-18-2002, 09:50 PM
I don't know why but it won't fit. I did a magazine article on converting the Mallory to the Pertronix Ignitor II and the people at Pertronix are really great people. Give them a call and ask them yourself. You would be impressed with there operation in San Dimas California!
Dennis

HammerDown
09-19-2002, 10:32 AM
Dennis Moore:
I don't know why but it won't fit. I did a magazine article on converting the Mallory to the Pertronix Ignitor II and the people at Pertronix are really great people. Give them a call and ask them yourself. You would be impressed with there operation in San Dimas California!
DennisYes I have that mag with your convertion article (well done)...I called them...said no we don't offer one for a yl670-(AV).
Now they said they could make up a custome unit that will work...I figured the price would be more than it's worth. Maybe a msd or crane box next year?