PDA

View Full Version : Working for gas money gold seeking

infotraker
08-24-2005, 02:23 PM
Just got back from a week long trip near La Porte Ca spending time dredging for gold, first time dredging. Dont think I found enough to fill the boat for Labor Day Delta outing !!! Had lots of fun with friends doing the same. Maybe found a little less than a quarter ounce , lots of hard work moving bolders in river.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/450Dredging.jpg

cdog
08-24-2005, 02:38 PM
Hey. That's cool. I've always wanted to do that. Has anyone else gone prospecting before?

Water Romper
08-24-2005, 03:43 PM
I have. :D
I go to Azusa canyon, in Azusa, CA (Hwy39) There was a town called “El Doradoville” located at the end of the East Fork. This was where there was several mines worked in the late 1800’s The town was wiped out in 1890’s by the 100 year flood however mine shafts, ruins, foundations and remnants of the mining era still exist today.
I run a 4 ft. “sluush-box” and then pan the concentrate right there in the creek. I do NOT have a dredge like “Infotraker” does but it’s still fun.
What have I found….square nails, belt buckles, a pair of granny glasses, bullets, an old piece of wood working tool, and of course GOLD! I have about 4 oz. of gold including several nuggets the size of a pencil eraser. This gold is not worth much monetary wise as it is “poor grade” good but finding it is priceless. :D :D
This area is also the trail-head to the famous “Bridge to Nowhere”…..but that can be another thread in itself.

Havasu Hangin'
08-24-2005, 04:01 PM
This area is also the trail-head to the famous “Bridge to Nowhere”…..but that can be another thread in itself.
I jumped off that bridge... :supp:

Water Romper
08-25-2005, 08:00 AM
Yeah, I met some of the guys that have the "bungee" business there...We were having a few "cold ones" at Follows Camp. :smile:
They seem like nice guys... :smile: But you are braver than I…..I wouldn’t jump off that bridge even if you paid me… :sqeyes:

Havasu Hangin'
08-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Yeah, I met some of the guys that have the "bungee" business there...We were having a few "cold ones" at Follows Camp. :smile:
They seem like nice guys... :smile: But you are braver than I…..I wouldn’t jump off that bridge even if you paid me… :sqeyes:
Drinking beer? If that's all they were doing...I'd be surprised.
Remind me to tell you guys the story one day about the "never use the long bungee if you're over 200lbs..." story. :jawdrop:

Water Romper
08-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Purity or "fineness" is designated by karatage (K); 24 karat gold is pure gold.
12 karat gold is 50% gold and 50% alloyed metal.
Gold will alloy with nearly all base metals. Different colors of gold are produced by alloying with different base metals. Common alloys are Nickel (Ni) and Copper (Cu)
Specific Gravity for pure gold is 19.3.
Gold purity can be tested with inexpensive devices that measure electrical conduction, or by the older method of gauging the extent of reaction with dilute acids.
U.S.F.T.C. Guidelines governing sales of gold and gold jewelry in this country state the following:
1) Karatage has to be stamped on, with trademark.
2) Terms "pure gold" and "solid gold" can only be used for 24 karat gold.
3) Term "gold" can only be used if gold content is 10 K or better.
4) Term "gold filled" applies only to items composed of a layer of gold pressed (not alloyed) onto a base metal where the weight of the gold comprises at least 1/20th of the total weight of the item. Fineness must be shown by stamp, e.g. "1/20 12 k G.F." means the gold layer is 12 karat gold and comprises 1/20th of the total weight of the item.
5) Term "rolled gold plate" is the same, but gold comprises less than 1/20 of total weight; e.g. stamped "1/30 12 k G.P." means 1/30 of the metal weight is from 12 karat gold plate.
6) "Gold electroplate" or "gold flash" or "gold washed" means a gold coating that is 10 k or better gold at least 0.000007 inches thick. A variant, "heavy gold electroplate" (H.G.E.P.) is at least 0.0001 inches thick.

phebus
08-25-2005, 02:14 PM
I jumped off that bridge... :supp:
Bet it didn't get you anywhere. :D

liquidasset
08-25-2005, 02:20 PM
sounds like alot of fun :)

Water Romper
08-25-2005, 04:19 PM
Actually, it’s a TON of fun. :D
On a hot summer day sloshing in the creek “mining” for goodies, drinking beer, eating….we make a day out of it…
It’s hard to imagine in the old days that if you didn’t find “color” (gold) you don’t eat…. :supp:
Up in the mountains I mentioned a few threads back, they even have classes at the local “Fort” aka: Follows Camp….it was a post built in the 1900’s for the local Calvary to protect the miners etc…

ColeTR2
08-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Gold fever! Look like fun!

PHX ATC
08-25-2005, 04:53 PM
I guess I'm the only weirdo pervert who sees a smile on the big dog's face along with some hoses and a giant sized pump!
Love it! :220v:
Looks like fun...something (panning/whatever for gold) I've always wanted to take a gander at.

Water Romper
08-26-2005, 03:15 PM
Hey T&B I think that "Gold guy" died last year (or something around there)
what was the name of that show...."Prospectors of Amrerica"?
That was fun to watch...they ALWAYS found gold...and Cartlton Sheets still sells houses for no money down.. :D

infotraker
08-26-2005, 03:45 PM
The GPAA guy died several years ago (the dad), fun show to watch. The 2 sons run the show now.They make it look easy to find ther shiny stuff. We work hard and have lots of fun looking. I get out at least once a week in the local rivers/streams. Good for the body and soul. Do find some small nuggets and flakes, that keeps you going looking for more. It helps to have time to go as I retired early from Intel Corp. in Folsom. Currently share several gold claims with a friend. We plan to clear a good path to the stream from the 4wd road so we can pull in a couple of small dredges.

Water Romper
08-27-2005, 07:54 AM
Info...
That’s the way to go Re: the 4x4, we have to lug our gear about a mile to get where we want to go….
Your city….is that between the Sierras and Sacramento?

infotraker
08-27-2005, 01:29 PM
El Dorado hills if just above Folsom on #50. We live out in the country near the S. Fork of the American River. Going to Bear River off #80 to snipe for the day (wet suit and snorkel). Good luck on you hunt., swim the river looking in crevases for gold)