PDA

View Full Version : Grant Lake

sea2lake
08-24-2005, 06:05 PM
anyone have info on grant lake in Mammoth?
taking the boat up there for a camping trip and have not been there before. any info would be appreciated

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-24-2005, 06:59 PM
Grant Lake is on the back side of June Lake Loop. There are not a lot of trees on that side, but it is the only lake that is big enough to ski on in the area. Fishing is good, but be careful of rattlers on the hill side of the lake. There are supplies and restaraunts in June Lake city, the Tiger Bar is great for Lunch, Ernies is the place to go for any fishing item you could want, though most marinas have a good selection as well. There is internet connection at the coffee houses in June Lake as well. Trout Town Joes is the place for that early cup of Java :coffee: All of these places are on the right side as you come through the loop about 5 miles before you get to Grant. Oh, and there is a mom and pop grocery store there also with very expensive stuff, but everything in there, including an ATM, liquor, firewood, frozen burritos and s'more supplies :D Have fun.

Partycattin
08-24-2005, 07:28 PM
I was up at Grant mid May and it was super low. The lowest I have seen it in about 15 years. I talked with a friend that went up there a week ago. He said it was very hot and heard that Grant was back up about 30 feet due to snow melt off. Be careful. I float tube that lake a couple times each year and often find a tree stump out in the middle of the lake. Hopefully your boat is not too big. That lake is setup for small fishing boats and an occasional small skier. They don't really have ramps for big boats. I would suggest sticking between the dam and the narrow stretch of the lake. Once you go past that, your chances of hitting something increase.

sea2lake
08-24-2005, 08:10 PM
thanks for the info peeps.
I have a 24' capri. I am wondering what "too big for the lake" means in my case., after what you said. It is a v bottom that sits about 4 ' in the water.

Partycattin
08-25-2005, 08:44 AM
thanks for the info peeps.
I have a 24' capri. I am wondering what "too big for the lake" means in my case., after what you said. It is a v bottom that sits about 4 ' in the water.
Although I think the locals up there would get a kick out of seeing a 24' out there, I wouldn't venture it.
I think you'll have to sink your truck to launch it and then take a high risk of hitting something in the water. I'm not sure that the ramp at Grant is even concrete or asphalt.
If you want to check the water level, Call Tavish at Ernie's tackle or KC at Double Eagle Resort. Their both good peeps and will give you the info. You can also call the Tiger Bar and ask for anyone.
All the lakes up there rent aluminum fishing boats. June Lake also rents Pontoon boats.
Bring your bug spray!