PDA

View Full Version : How Much HP have you run through Alum. A Impeller?

LakesOnly
03-18-2003, 03:24 PM
I'm talking about a cast aluminum "A" impeller. How much HP have you run without scattering it? And if so, how much HP scattered it?
I am about finished rebuilding my motor and expect about 550 HP. I refrained from installing a bigger camshaft until my pump is built to take more horsepower. Can my aluminum "A" impeller handle the load of 550 HP?
I'm running a Dominator Pump. The impeller charts seem very conservative to me (as far as rating how much HP a given impeller can handle). Maybe this is for liability reasons?
LO

Clown
03-18-2003, 03:40 PM
I have run an "b" aluminum impellor
Ran it for about two years
On a motor with 650 H.P.
And a pump that was not setup correctley
"Had lot's of cavation Problems"
And it never let loose on me
But when I rebuilt the pump
I did notice hair line cracks starting to form
where the vane meets the o.d.
So It life in your own hands
Don't listen to ME! :confused:

Jungle Boy
03-18-2003, 04:12 PM
550 hp is alright if you are not coming out of the water too much. It's the loading and unloading that will damage the impeller. :cool:

HammerDown
03-18-2003, 05:38 PM
Jungle Boy:
550 hp is alright if you are not coming out of the water too much. It's the loading and unloading that will damage the impeller. :cool: Good point!

LakesOnly
03-18-2003, 07:28 PM
Jungle Boy:
550 hp is alright if you are not coming out of the water too much. It's the loading and unloading that will damage the impeller. :cool: Yeah, that is a good point...very true. The blink-of-an-eye onset of load can cause the vanes to give.
Still, how about sheer horsepower? How much have any of you "proofed" your impellers to?
LO

Jungle Boy
03-19-2003, 05:58 AM
LakesOnly:
Jungle Boy:
550 hp is alright if you are not coming out of the water too much. It's the loading and unloading that will damage the impeller. :cool: Yeah, that is a good point...very true. The blink-of-an-eye onset of load can cause the vanes to give.
Still, how about sheer horsepower? How much have any of you "proofed" your impellers to?
LO I have ran steel impellers now for several years. We tend to be fairly rough on impellers (gravel bars, sticks and loading pressure). I have had to repair a few steel ones though after a few runs in rough water. I found it was cheaper in the long run to buy a couple of steel ones than to keep buying aluminum impellers after they could not be sharpened anymore. We usually have a good impeller for the better rivers and a beater impeller for the rips up the Upper Red Deer River. It's the fun river, but hard on equipment!! :D
JB
[ March 19, 2003, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: Jungle Boy ]

Blown 472
03-19-2003, 06:47 AM
I have a blown 472 inch ford, with 9 psi, hp not sure but I am running a alum imp and was told as long as it doesn't get loaded and unloaded it will be fine.

LakesOnly
03-19-2003, 07:43 AM
Blown 472:
I have a blown 472 inch ford, with 9 psi, hp not sure but I am running a alum imp and was told as long as it doesn't get loaded and unloaded it will be fine. Well, that puts my concerns to rest.
Thanks everyone.
LO

sanger mike
03-19-2003, 08:50 AM
so does that mean you WILL put the cam in NOW. you KING WINGNUT. :p :p :p