PDA

View Full Version : Bravo III

cyclone
08-25-2005, 11:21 AM
A friend is buying a boat thats got a bravo III drive with a dual prop setup. Anyone know the performance potential of this drive? Its' got a 502 chevy in it and he's looking to bump the motor up to 650hp and wanted to know if the drive would take it.
are there any upgrades available for this drive also?
thanks.

Party Cat
08-25-2005, 12:10 PM
A friend is buying a boat thats got a bravo III drive with a dual prop setup. Anyone know the performance potential of this drive? Its' got a 502 chevy in it and he's looking to bump the motor up to 650hp and wanted to know if the drive would take it.
are there any upgrades available for this drive also?
thanks.
I've been running a 628hp/652tq 509 for the past 2 years with a Bravo III....so far....no problems....but then I don't slam the throttle either...ease in to the power....
Mercury now makes a Bravo 3x....I heard that Rob at Quality Performance has done some upgrades to the older ones to make em like the new 3x's

wiggler
08-25-2005, 02:19 PM
I have been running a stock Merc 496 Mag with Bravo III, S.S. Props at 28 pitch. I have had no problems. Although I have been hesitant to "build up" because I am afraid that I might tweek the prop shaft. I guess that is why so many owners use an alpha or brvo I drive.

Havasu Hangin'
08-25-2005, 06:49 PM
The Bravo 3 is a good drive (hell, anything is better than a jet, though). Just make sure the engine has a good low-RPM idle- that's ALOT of stainless prop to be swinging in-n-out of gear.

Thunderbutt
08-26-2005, 01:14 PM
:hammerhea
Then Am I F---ing up. When I put in the HP500 I also put on a ZX drive, and have the Bravo 3 setting in my shop. Every since I put the combination together I've been having truble getting this thing to get on plane. I did check with BAM to see if my standard Bravo 3 can be converted to a Bravo 3X and they said no. What RPM's do you turn? My idle is 800.

Party Cat
08-26-2005, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=Thunderbutt.....I did check with BAM to see if my standard Bravo 3 can be converted to a Bravo 3X and they said no. What RPM's do you turn? My idle is 800.[/QUOTE]
Mine is in a '96 26' Party Cat that on the trailer weighs over 7000 lbs...I've got 2.0 gears and a set of 'cupped' 28's...the engine idles at 700-800 rpm and I've spun it to around 5500 rpm....best gps has been 62.5 on a cool April day on Elsinore...It rolls over so much better than the old stock 330hp merc 454 I had before...
I've been told that the B3's max out at around 65 or so...depending on your x-dimension...they then to 'blow out'....Supposedly....Mercury is has a new prop that is 3 blade for the front and 4 blade for the rear one...I dunno how they work...but I'm sure it will cost over $1k for a new set...
I'd give Rob a call at Quality Performance in Corona to see what he has to say about the 3x's...he's supposed to be the one that's done em...

Havasu Hangin'
08-26-2005, 03:02 PM
:hammerhea
Then Am I F---ing up. When I put in the HP500 I also put on a ZX drive, and have the Bravo 3 setting in my shop. Every since I put the combination together I've been having truble getting this thing to get on plane. I did check with BAM to see if my standard Bravo 3 can be converted to a Bravo 3X and they said no. What RPM's do you turn? My idle is 800.
A Bravo 3 can have a much higher X dimension than a Bravo 1 (since there is more prop in the water) without blowing out. Heck...the Blackhawk was little more than a shortie Bravo 3.
You may want to measure where your propshaft is in relation to the bottom of the boat. Ask the manufacturer if it is too high for a Bravo 1. If it is (and causing the blowout), instead of putting the Bravo 3 back on, I'd probably just put a 1" or 2" spacer in there to lower it.

Thunderbutt
08-26-2005, 06:31 PM
A Bravo 3 can have a much higher X dimension than a Bravo 1 (since there is more prop in the water) without blowing out. Heck...the Blackhawk was little more than a shortie Bravo 3.
You may want to measure where your propshaft is in relation to the bottom of the boat. Ask the manufacturer if it is too high for a Bravo 1. If it is (and causing the blowout), instead of putting the Bravo 3 back on, I'd probably just put a 1" or 2" spacer in there to lower it.
Havasu, This is a tunnel boat (Warlock deckboat) The X Dim is 17". I measured the center of the prop shaft is 3" below the bottom of the sponson when the cavation plate is level. I don't know what it is when the drive is all the way down. How should it be measured?
Jim

Havasu Hangin'
08-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Havasu, This is a tunnel boat (Warlock deckboat) The X Dim is 17". I measured the center of the prop shaft is 3" below the bottom of the sponson when the cavation plate is level. I don't know what it is when the drive is all the way down. How should it be measured?
Jim
Is it 3" below the center pod, or below the outer sponsons?
I don't know if WPM is still in Corona, CA, but I bet they could tell you if you are in the ballpark. Or did Carerra buy those molds?
Otherwise, I think that bottom is close to the AO/Talon/Conquest bottom- you could always call those guys and see how they setup thier single engine tunnels.

Thunderbutt
08-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Is it 3" below the center pod, or below the outer sponsons?
I don't know if WPM is still in Corona, CA, but I bet they could tell you if you are in the ballpark. Or did Carerra buy those molds?
Otherwise, I think that bottom is close to the AO/Talon/Conquest bottom- you could always call those guys and see how they setup thier single engine tunnels.
H H, It is 3" below the sponson. I tried E-mailing Keith @ Conquest, asking what the X dim. is on their boats. no responce. I did talk to Carter Reed, he told me the dim. was that far down to accommodate the Bravo 3. I've tried different prop's 28 Bravo 1, 26, and a 24. Now I'm going to try a 3 blade 23. What a pain in the ASS. Thanks Jim

Havasu Hangin'
08-27-2005, 07:54 PM
H H, It is 3" below the sponson. I tried E-mailing Keith @ Conquest, asking what the X dim. is on their boats. no responce. I did talk to Carter Reed, he told me the dim. was that far down to accommodate the Bravo 3. I've tried different prop's 28 Bravo 1, 26, and a 24. Now I'm going to try a 3 blade 23. What a pain in the ASS. Thanks Jim
Are the props you tried 4 blades? What diameter?
I don't know crap about the setup on a single cat, but that sounds deeeeep. I would think a 2" shorty (or more) will get it where it needs to be?

Thunderbutt
09-07-2005, 05:17 AM
Are the props you tried 4 blades? What diameter?
I don't know crap about the setup on a single cat, but that sounds deeeeep. I would think a 2" shorty (or more) will get it where it needs to be?
HH, Yes they were 4-blade 15 1/4". I think I will try a 5-blade. The 3-blade didn't work it blew out. You might be right about the 2 inch shorty. This is the same bottom as the SXT 28 Warlock. I'll call Reed back and ask what he puts on them, even though that boat might be lighter in weight, not being a deckboat. thanks.
Jim