PDA

View Full Version : Amazing how stupid people are

Mike.A
08-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Just fired one of my guys for his decision making capabilities.
2 days ago he tells me that he has never driven with a trailer, so I arrange for somebody else to drive to the job with the materials, thinking why should our company have the liability of him driving arround with a 8000 pound load.
Well,
Today we had an even larger load going to another job site and he takes it upon himself to drive the load without asking or telling anybody. Our schedule did not need the materials on site today and he takes a guy with him. So now I have an unsafe driver with a sh-t load of materials on the road and wasting 6 hours of labor to so.
And he asks why am I firing him :hammer2: :hammer2: ?

ROZ
08-25-2005, 03:20 PM
It seems quick to terminate, but he has probably been under your radar for some time...
I sometimes wonder what people are thnking when making stupid decisions. Don't they know if something happens, your neck and livelyhood are on the line?
Sorry to hear it..

a catered life
08-25-2005, 03:42 PM
ouch tell me he has done something else stupid before this..also when he was hired did he tell you he couldnt drive it or not? :(

Water Romper
08-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Unless the guy’s a jerk, sounds like he wanted to be proactive and get the goods delivered.
Did he show poor judgment, Yes. Should he had asked management first, Yes
Was he specifically told “not to drive the trucks”???
Obviously, it easy to critique another person’s decision when I do not have all the facts and wasn’t there but perhaps a write up would have been a less drastic option…
Just a thought. :D

hoolign
08-25-2005, 04:24 PM
2 days ago he tells me that he has never driven with a trailer, so I arrange for somebody else to drive to the job with the materials, thinking why should our company have the liability of him driving arround with a 8000 pound load.
Well,
Today we had an even larger load going to another job site and he takes it upon himself to drive the load without asking or telling anybody. Our schedule did not need the materials on site today and he takes a guy with him. So now I have an unsafe driver with a sh-t load of materials on the road and wasting 6 hours of labor to so.
It sounds like the root cause is lack of supervision and training. Stating that he hasn't done it before opened up an instant " you must be trained to do it " scenario and the training ball should have started rolling by at least finding out if he wanted to be trained. Then booking him into a course. By doing this you would have instilled your commitment to professionalism into him. By seeing that training will be provided to him shows him that he could be an asset rather than a liability. It was not a prerequisit as he was hired and didnt know how. I think firing is a bit harsh but it aint my company. I have new guys out here a lot and this is a very dangerous job!. We are constantly training and producing very competent and "reliable" employees.
Just my .02

Ultrafied
08-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Whew .. I'm glad he didn't just sit on his a$$ all day and wonder what to do! What a moron, actually taking it upon himself to be proactive about his job. You just can't find good help these days .... :cry:

Kim Hanson
08-25-2005, 05:10 PM
Well,
Did it get to the site all safe?.......( . )( . )...........

sidewound
08-25-2005, 05:14 PM
I'm wondering if on the first ride maybe the driver gave him some pointers and assured him it was a "piece of cake" to pull a trailer if you just remember these few points.
That's how I learned a lot of things. I would get advice and do it. I never had any kind of mishaps and simply figured I was helping the boss and myself as well.
Pullin a trailer ain't THAT big a deal. Is the guy's a moron you wanted rid of anyways??? Good excuse.
Someone isn't keeping an eye on who's doin what. I think that's (SUPERVISIOIN)
Maybe he was close to the boot before this.
All in all removing any liability to your business is probably a sound idea.
Just remember in the end that it's a person...probably with a family to support.
I imagine balancing liability and humanity is a hard chore. Just do your best and screw everyone else's opinion. It's your deal.
And by the way???? Why would you open yourself up for bashing in this thread?
Do you have a guilty concience????
Or are you seeking reassurace???

Jrocket
08-25-2005, 05:17 PM
Guy was trying to get the job done and show that he can work without being told what to do all the time?

Kim Hanson
08-25-2005, 05:20 PM
Guy was trying to get the job done and show that he can work without being told what to do all the time?
Thats what im thinking also Jr, it get really annoying telling people that work under me what to do all the time and it's good to see people like that show you they can do it without being told to do it. He fired this guy :( ......( . )( . )........

slowinhavasu
08-25-2005, 05:33 PM
This cat trying to score some browny points and PROVE he's up to the task and you can him ?
I think I would have given him some props and got him in a driving program.
If I could find just one guy in this town to show some insentive, it sure would be a nice change.
Unless he has a long track record (in writing ) of being a dipsh*t, I call him and offer him his job back and sit him down and lay out some ground rules. In WRITING.......Good luck...

Mandelon
08-25-2005, 07:11 PM
When an employee does something on his own and works out well it is called "taking the intitiave" and the boss is happy.
When an employee does something on his own and it works out poorly it is called "Not following directions" and the boss is pissed.
I deal with it every day.......it is hard the worker to know what to do....and hard for the boss who got to pay the guy to screw up, then pay him again to unscrew it.....
You can't watch every guy at every site all day..... :hammerhea

Ziggy
08-25-2005, 07:13 PM
When an employee does something on his own and works out well it is called "taking the intitiave" and the boss is happy.
When an employee does something on his own and it works out poorly it is called "Not following directions" and the boss is pissed.
I deal with it every day.......it is hard the worker to know what to do....and hard for the boss who got to pay the guy to screw up, then pay him again to unscrew it.....
And don't let him change your dump truck oil as a favor either :frown: :p

Nord
08-25-2005, 07:15 PM
I hope there is more to the story!!!

haulina29
08-25-2005, 07:32 PM
sounds like piss poor management to me :sleeping:

a catered life
08-25-2005, 08:18 PM
bet mike will delete this thread soon :frown:

Kilrtoy
08-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Where did MIKE A go....
Sounds like he has alot of critics...

Mike.A
08-26-2005, 08:55 AM
I am here, I am on during the day.
As far as some of the comments I will try to answer a few.
He was specificaly told not to tow the trailer on Monday, I was out for about and hour and come back and find him and the trailer gone. There wasnt even any time to train him or to talk or to make a "Poor Management" decision. He chose not to communicate with myself or the project manager.
This person had been talked to before about making his own decisions and he ignored the warnings. I think talking to a person twice about the same subject is enough, If I wait for a third time what could happen ?
Training: I agree 100%, We have training courses in place for different aspects of our trade, but when somebody ignores what is told to him after 2 times than I think that is enough.
Taking the initiative: I love it when my employees step up, it shows that they want to grow with the company and these employees are treated well, but when they make unsafe decisions than they have to be talked to. I started out the same way, do the extra, go the extra mile and it does pay off, just cant ignore and endanger while doing it.
As far as me pulling this thread, wont happen, because I am not looking for approval or anything like that. I was just posting on something that happened today as many of you do.
You might agree or disagree, but safety and the well being of all my employees is 1st on my mind.
So,
Have a good day

Water Romper
08-26-2005, 03:04 PM
….Like most things in life, there are two sides to the story.
Now that I heard yours, sounds like the guy may have an issue following rules and directions…
Seems the termination was justified.

topless
08-26-2005, 03:20 PM
….Like most things in life, there are two sides to the story.
Now that I heard yours, sounds like the guy may have an issue following rules and directions…
Seems the termination was justified.Maybe he has short term memory loss. :2purples:

91nordic29
08-26-2005, 03:30 PM
boy am i glad the hubby didnt "fire" me the first time i towed that 32' trailer around a parking lot full of other trailers. i was scared to death but i knew i had to learn.
he shouldnt have taken it without permission but i think the "wait until you are trained" route would have been a little more diplomatic. but, your house, your rules :D

ROZ
08-26-2005, 03:34 PM
Maybe you should have them join the ***boat Website so you can keep an eye on them :D

ROZ
08-26-2005, 03:35 PM
And don't let him change your dump truck oil as a favor either :frown: :p
low blow Zig..... well, maybe not :D

ROZ
08-26-2005, 03:39 PM
Maybe he has short term memory loss. :2purples:
Maybe he is the son of the competition and it was sabotage :idea: :D