PDA

View Full Version : Which engine builder or shop ?

WHATA SQUIRT
05-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Ok now im not trying to open a can of worms here...but who can I CALL and talk to about how to set up my engine / jet combo?? Which exhaust to buy etc. Ive already built this engine and speant a decent amount on this thing so I would like it to make the most for what it is, or can be...any Shops names or PHONE numbers would be great. thanks..."Ry"

flat broke
05-07-2006, 09:10 AM
since you've already built the engine, it "is what it is". Talking to an engine builder won't do anything but get you thinking of different cam/head combinations you could have used etc. The tune for your motor on a dyno will be pretty close to the tune you'll run in front of a jet, so that really leaves most of the information comming from the pump guy not an engine guy.
If you have dyno sheets on your motor and know how much and where the power is made most of the pump guys that you'll get recomendations for in this thread will be able to get you set up with the correct size/detail impeller to match the engines HP with your desired application.
If you're just looking for a recommendation on a good pump shop, I'd throw Jack McClure at MPD (Marine Performance Designs) in the hat as a my referral. 1760 Monrovia St. Unit A-7. Costa Mesa, Ca. 92627. 949-631-2040 website (http://home.pacbell.net/jmcclure/)
There are other guys all around the country who can help, and I'm sure that their names will get tossed in here shortly.
Good luck,
Chris

WHATA SQUIRT
05-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks Flat Broke the pump is fresh from MPD set up to handle 600-650 hp...I guess what i'm looking for is a shop here in so cal.that can help me make some decisions on where to go from here ...I didn't dyno the engine, so not sure of the power it should be making...just want to make it right and run to its full potential..

flat broke
05-07-2006, 10:22 AM
what kind of boat? What hardware adjustable hardware do you have at your disposal to tune with? Assuming the pump setup was dictated by your expected power, all that is really left is hardware setup. If you have a shoe/rideplate, you can check with other owners of your hull type to get some ideas for a starting point. If you have a split bowl, you can check into a droop/snoot and wedge changes; again refering to others experience for a baseline. But in the end, trial and error testing on your particular setup is how you are going to get the last drop of performance out of your setup.
Chris

SmokinLowriderSS
05-07-2006, 02:36 PM
flat broke pretty much has it covered correctly.
You do need to know (fairly accurately) what you have AND what you want. In the absence of a genuine dyno run, some fiddling arround on a program like Desktop Dyno can give pretty good results IF it fed good information. If you want to PM me with pretty much every single little engine detail you have (including head casting numbers and flow data if it exists, compression ratio or piston style & dome or relief size)), I'd be happy to put it thru my DD paces and give you back the results. Feel free to PM me if you like. :cool:
A great deal depends on the WAY power is made by your engine. I saw a really powerful 502 in here once that was just so far wrong in build for a jet boat that my mild 454 would out-pull it and outrun it ( same impeller, I had 800 RPM on him, and that wasn't electronic calculations, real world by both of us). It would have made a screaming car engine (700+HP, 600+ torque) but couldn't spin a jet over 4,000 revs. The camming was really a missmatch as was the heads actually IMO being way too free breathing for the aplication RPM (rectangle ports, fully race ported, really oversize valves). Untill about 4500 RPM, I had him out-torqued AND horsepowered in an 8.5:1 454. My engine was built for 5KRPM, his was for 7K, and he couldn't reach it.
If your pump is "set up for 600+ HP", then I'll ASSume you are holding either an A to spin nearly 6-grand, or a AA arround 5500 (ballpark). The A may top out faster, the AA may holeshot harder & top out slightly slower (all other things equal). You do kinda need to know which one too. You want to be able to get to your HP and properly work that pump instead of it limiting you.
Beyond getting this pair to work together, just as flat broke said, it becomes a trial/error adventure to squeeze the last ability out of your hull. With luck, someone(s) with a similar hull will save you some errors, but even 2 hulls from a mfr do not necissarally behave identically or respond the same to the same tweaks/mods. With more luck, someone(s) near you may have a few spare pieces laying arround to try out before dropping hard currency. Do ya have a good GPS, if not, better get one if you want to know how fast you are REALLY going. :cry:

Cs19
05-07-2006, 05:40 PM
if your serious about getting this thing to run at its potential, a trip to the dyno is in order..

SmokinLowriderSS
05-08-2006, 04:42 PM
if your serious about getting this thing to run at its potential, a trip to the dyno is in order..
true

Taylorman
05-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Hey CS, speaking of motors, whats up with yours.

Cs19
05-08-2006, 07:53 PM
nothing.. sold my 496 :cry: and got a 565 :) ill put up some pics soon..its similar to what mike is building only its not an aluminum block.

Jetboatguru
05-09-2006, 07:31 AM
I heard the boat and motor are at Mike Millers house. What's going on with it Chris?

Cs19
05-09-2006, 07:36 AM
I borrowed Mike's valve spring checking tool as I dont own one at the moment.I think everything is dialed,find out this weekend.

moneysucker
05-09-2006, 08:05 AM
PM James, (Helter skelter) from Nu Tech Racing Engines In lakeside CA, He should be able to help you out. Nu Tech's # is 619-561-9826
Cy

superdave013
05-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks Flat Broke the pump is fresh from MPD set up to handle 600-650 hp...I guess what i'm looking for is a shop here in so cal.that can help me make some decisions on where to go from here ...I didn't dyno the engine, so not sure of the power it should be making...just want to make it right and run to its full potential..
well you have a freash MPD pump. With that said I'd stick with Jack and have him do the set up as well. Would be money well spent the first time. Could not have picked a better shop if you tried.