PDA

View Full Version : Reno Air Race's

SSTahoe
08-26-2005, 06:40 AM
Is there anybody going?? September 14-18 just woundering if anybody here goes to them? I go every year
www.airrace.org

ColeTR2
08-26-2005, 06:47 AM
I have been 2X if you like planes it's a must see! Nothing like having P51's going 500mph fly 50ft over you head.

SSTahoe
08-26-2005, 06:50 AM
Ya I know what your talking about I go every year and I am sponser 3 aircraft this year. I own a Aircraft shop 45 minutes from Reno. We had three P-51 we work on but the customers sold them..I have be up in a 51 about 80-90 times....

BarryMac
08-26-2005, 06:54 AM
Ya I know what your talking about I go every year and I am sponser 3 aircraft this year. I own a Aircraft shop 45 minutes from Reno. We had three P-51 we work on but the customers sold them..I have be up in a 51 about 80-90 times....
SSTahoe, we've talked a few times about the Races, wonder if our friend is flying in them this year? Remember Contri???

SSTahoe
08-26-2005, 06:56 AM
SSTahoe, we've talked a few times about the Races, wonder if our friend is flying in them this year? Remember Contri???
Yes I do I just talked to hime about a month ago

spectratoad
08-26-2005, 07:37 AM
I live out here so I get to enjoy the week or so before for practice and fly-ins. I may be down there working a few days. Selling beer for Search & Rescue. One of our fundraisers. Stop by I'll buy a beverage. :D

BarryMac
08-26-2005, 07:38 AM
Yes I do I just talked to hime about a month ago
When you see him again, tell him Barry McMillin said hello...

SSTahoe
08-26-2005, 07:41 AM
I live out here so I get to enjoy the week or so before for practice and fly-ins. I may be down there working a few days. Selling beer for Search & Rescue. One of our fundraisers. Stop by I'll buy a beverage. :D
I will be there all week sorry I did not make it to your BBQ that one weekend but I will take you up on your beer offer! what size T-shirt are you? I will bring one of my company T-shirt for you too.

SSTahoe
08-26-2005, 07:42 AM
When you see him again, tell him Barry McMillin said hello...
I will!

wedge44
08-26-2005, 08:11 AM
Hey SSTahoe....Do you know Doug Thorngren... know he's involved with the Air Races...wedge

SSTahoe
08-26-2005, 08:11 AM
I used to go to high school with Lyle Shelton's step son, always had stuff around his garage, missed the races all three years I lived in Reno when I was working for Reno Air, but used to race at the motocross track there. May have to see if the local F.S.D.O. needs any help this year :wink:
(F.S.D.O.) soo what would you be helping with?

SSTahoe
08-26-2005, 08:13 AM
Hey SSTahoe....Do you know Doug Thorngren... know he's involved with the Air Races...wedge
The name does not ring a bell but I might....I reconize face's better the names

Havasteve
08-26-2005, 08:21 AM
Is it hard to find a place to stay? I'd love to go, I've been to Oshkosh a few times when I lived back east, air races would blow that away.

wedge44
08-26-2005, 08:21 AM
He's with Risky Business work in Real Estate with Rothschild...6ft thin greying brown curly hair one of testing pilot's.. i think ......Wedge

spectratoad
08-26-2005, 09:23 AM
I will be there all week sorry I did not make it to your BBQ that one weekend but I will take you up on your beer offer! what size T-shirt are you? I will bring one of my company T-shirt for you too.
Cool, always willing to help advertise someones business. XXL. We are usually out in the middle area where the food is. I think there may be a banner up that says Washoe County Search & Rescue. That is where I will be. Todd

Beer-30
08-26-2005, 09:26 AM
I've never been, but I have a 290HP C-182 and a 400HP Piper Lance, can I enter?
:hammerhea

SSTahoe
08-26-2005, 09:37 AM
Cool, always willing to help advertise someones business. XXL. We are usually out in the middle area where the food is. I think there may be a banner up that says Washoe County Search & Rescue. That is where I will be. Todd
Alright sound good see you there I will be the crew chief on the T-6 that gives ride's during the races
Chris

SSTahoe
08-26-2005, 09:45 AM
I've never been, but I have a 290HP C-182 and a 400HP Piper Lance, can I enter?
:hammerhea
LOL that good make that Lancer Experiment and enter it in Sport class

Beer-30
08-26-2005, 09:46 AM
:D

spectratoad
08-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Alright sound good see you there I will be the crew chief on the T-6 that gives ride's during the races
Chris
Trade you a beer for a ride. :D :D Seriously though, how much or how does one get a ride? If I was female I would know what your answer would be. :cool: :p

SSTahoe
08-26-2005, 10:11 AM
Trade you a beer for a ride. :D :D Seriously though, how much or how does one get a ride? If I was female I would know what your answer would be. :cool: :p
Let me see what I can do I might be able to get you a ride, I am repainting the cowling's right now.

ColeTR2
08-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Do you know Bonz / JE Wayne or Lud? They have just a few planes ;) in Carson City. I got to ride in a P51 / Name: Saturday Night Special. If I could have only one toy for free it would be a P51.

ColeTR2
08-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Seriously though, how much or how does one get a ride?
Planes of fame in Chino Airport $500 for a 1/2 hour ride in a P51

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 12:44 PM
:cool: SSTahoe, f.s.d.o. stands for Flight Standards District Office (FAA), it's what I do for a living :)
Oh shit... you're from the FAA and you're here to help... :D
Haven't been to Reno in a couple years... maybe next year. If you like things that are really fast and make cool noises... Reno is the place.

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 01:37 PM
Do you know a Mike Hartz out of the ABQ FSDO????

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Sleekjet, does not ring a bell, is he an ops/mx/avionics inspector ?
Avionics... last I heard. He was my boss before I left ABQ and before he got on with the FAA.

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Used to be in Avionics... then I got tired of being poor and got on with an electric utility. :D
I've got my commercial multi-engine as well.

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 01:59 PM
I worked GA... so I could only dream about those big airline salaries... :D
I think when I finally threw in the towel I was making about 2.00 more than minimum wage... :rolleyes: It was fun though. :D

SSTahoe
08-26-2005, 01:59 PM
:cool: SSTahoe, f.s.d.o. stands for Flight Standards District Office (FAA), it's what I do for a living :)
Ya I know what it meens. :hammerhea do you know Don Morgon

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 02:01 PM
poor in airplane maintenace, naw !!! you know the airlines pay top dollar, then cry about the cost, then lay everyone off, never endless cycle...........glad i'm on this side now, no more graveyards, swing shifts, working in snow storms or monsoons !! it's good to be a g-man :smile:
I take it you're a maint. inspector then???

SSTahoe
08-26-2005, 02:01 PM
What office is he out of ? Reno or Vegas?
Reno

SSTahoe
08-26-2005, 02:05 PM
I used to go to high school with Lyle Shelton's step son, always had stuff around his garage, missed the races all three years I lived in Reno when I was working for Reno Air, but used to race at the motocross track there. May have to see if the local F.S.D.O. needs any help this year :wink:
So since you work with Reno Air did you work with Lee. Oscar

SSTahoe
08-26-2005, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE
SS, known Lee since 1990.[/QUOTE]
Ya I know him............................................... ... :argue: :D

SSTahoe
08-26-2005, 02:26 PM
SS, good experiences, or bad ? your lil characters tell me not good or not seeing eye to eye ?
Come and goes on seeing eye to eye when you come from part 121 and go to part 91 there are some differance's as you know... don't get me wrong he is a nice guy .......just seems like he like's his badge a little to much.....

spectratoad
08-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Let me see what I can do I might be able to get you a ride, I am repainting the cowling's right now.
Cool, that would be like a dream come true. I have also worked around aircraft (rotor & fixed) if you guys need any help that week. I could shine the wheels or be the waterboy or something. I just retired from the military so I got time. :p

SSTahoe
08-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Cool, that would be like a dream come true. I have also worked around aircraft (rotor & fixed) if you guys need any help that week. I could shine the wheels or be the waterboy or something. I just retired from the military so I got time. :p
You work for beer right!!!!...................................... Cool your hired!!!!

spectratoad
08-26-2005, 02:35 PM
You work for beer right!!!!...................................... Cool your hired!!!!
Not a problem. Let me know. Cheap labor and I have my own insurance and used to overtime. :D :D

SSTahoe
08-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Not a problem. Let me know. Cheap labor and I have my own insurance and used to overtime. :D :D
you are welcome in our camp anytime we will have a trailer there in the pit's and a camp trailer too..

spectratoad
08-26-2005, 02:57 PM
What team/aircraft name?

Mardonzi
08-26-2005, 03:30 PM
We used to hit the Races quite a bit... Friend of a friend of Terry Bland. We have been entertaining the idea of shooting up that way for the weekend... We'll have to wait and see how the house painting/ flooring goes..

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 04:39 PM
:D SS, Lee is all heart !! don't let the badge fool ya, he's a really good person :D who ya wrench for during the races ? does Bob Hannah still race , it think was a class down from the unlimiteds ?
Last time I was there... "Huricane" Hanna was flying "Vodoo Chile", lost a trim tab and went for a hell of a ride. :220v:
Now all this talk about the races makes me want to go.... :rolleyes:

desertbird
08-26-2005, 05:35 PM
In fact, I haven't missed one in as many years as I can remember. I used to go when the Rare Bear used to win!!! In fact, we will be missing the LaveyCraft Regatta that weekend (check the sig).
To top it off, my Dad lives in Sparks, so it makes a great reason to visit him at least once a year, and get a cheap room!
Who's sitting in Section 3? We sometimes do. The wife and I will be out there Thursday through Sunday. I'll have my cell phone, we can have a Hot Boat Hookup.
Geoff
(818) 618 8321

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 05:42 PM
The first year I went was at the heigth of the Rare Bare/Strega rivalry...
Just to hear that Bearcat go by is something that needs to be experianced... I've got it on CD. :D

spectratoad
08-26-2005, 07:41 PM
I get a kick out of the idiots around here that move into the area and complain about the races. There are a few that are trying to get them moved. I grew up on the west side of the airport (Silver Knolls) and there were a few times some aircraft went down. There have been a few homes damaged. It is too cool to have that noise of aircraft, new and old, flying around the house for a couple weeks. :D :D
The first year I went was at the heigth of the Rare Bare/Strega rivalry...
Just to hear that Bearcat go by is something that needs to be experianced... I've got it on CD. :D
Yes siree, that is a sound that is great to hear. The rumble just goes through you and I know I could never get enough. :wink:

SSTahoe
08-26-2005, 09:36 PM
Huffpower I know lee is a good guy we have had some good talk's, he bought his boy a jeep and I just bought a new one so we do have some things in common to talk about.....oops I mean all we talk about on the gov clock is rules and regs........
Spectratoad there are three we sponser and crew for
Sport class: #1 Dave
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2151me_and_dave-med.png
F1 class:#57 Steve (First year rookie)before pic & after re-cover
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2151DSCN0478-med.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2151DSCN0577-med.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2151drive_011.jpg
T-6 : #16 Bruce Mayes who give the rides and I am Crew chief, he parks right in front of the grand stands during the race's
www.Vintage-Aviation.com

spectratoad
08-27-2005, 05:23 AM
Looks good, I will see you out there for sure. :D :D

Morg
08-27-2005, 05:41 AM
Ya know the air races are the one Reno event that I have not been to. I may have to get out their this year.
Any inside tips on where to hang out?
Parking??

SSTahoe
08-27-2005, 06:21 AM
Ya know the air races are the one Reno event that I have not been to. I may have to get out their this year.
Any inside tips on where to hang out?
Parking??
I would hang out in the pits you can see all the action plus be right there ...as far as parking if you don't have a parking pass just park anywere and check the bus that comes around..

spectratoad
08-27-2005, 06:53 AM
Starting to sound like a ***boat BBQ is in order :idea: :idea:

SSTahoe
08-27-2005, 07:00 AM
Starting to sound like a ***boat BBQ is in order :idea: :idea:
sound like a good idea to me......... when??

Morg
09-07-2005, 01:24 PM
A friend at work is interested in camping @ the air races.
Is camping available?
RV Sites??
Any idea who to contact???

Sleek-Jet
09-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Is camping available?
RV Sites??
I don't know about camping, but there used to be a seperate RV parking lot close in to the main enterance.
We stayed in town at one of the casio RV parks and drove the RV out everyday. Then just set up for the day in the parking lot and kind of hang out there in between the action.

Sleek-Jet
09-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Hey Morg...
Here you go.
http://www.airrace.org/ticketOverview.php

spectratoad
09-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Is camping available?
RV Sites??
I saw in the newspaper a week or so back that they added more RV sites. Check the website and I'm sure they have info.

Morg
09-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Excellent, thanks for the info.

spectratoad
09-07-2005, 08:35 PM
23 Aug 2005: RV spaces added.
The Reno Air Racing Association has just released 50 new 20' x 40' overnight parking spots for Recreational Vehicles. They are in the Alpha Parking lot directly across from Gate 2. The cost is $150 per space. There is a limit of only one RV unit per space, or one truck and one trailer per space.
You can reserve your spot through the Reno Air Racing Association office - call 775-972-6663 or use the contact RARA page on this Web site to send a message.

SSTahoe
09-13-2005, 07:46 AM
23 Aug 2005: RV spaces added.
The Reno Air Racing Association has just released 50 new 20' x 40' overnight parking spots for Recreational Vehicles. They are in the Alpha Parking lot directly across from Gate 2. The cost is $150 per space. There is a limit of only one RV unit per space, or one truck and one trailer per space.
You can reserve your spot through the Reno Air Racing Association office - call 775-972-6663 or use the contact RARA page on this Web site to send a message.
This is where my RV will be, my company Trailer with my company name and logo (Air Sierra Unlimited Inc.) will be on the far west side of the pits right next to the Lancair booth I will have a free T-Shirt for any of you guys or ladies. stop and visit
Chris

Mardonzi
09-13-2005, 08:37 AM
I wish I was going,, just got a call from a friend of mine that is Crew Chief for the Team Chaos L-39. He's rubbing it in that I'm not there,,, Bastard......

SSTahoe
09-13-2005, 08:43 AM
I wish I was going,, just got a call from a friend of mine that is Crew Chief for the Team Chaos L-39. He's rubbing it in that I'm not there,,, Bastard......
There is still time!!!!!! get a plane ticket

Mardonzi
09-13-2005, 10:42 AM
There is still time!!!!!! get a plane ticket
Is Stead Field open at all to transient aircraft this week?? In the past we've had to fly into Carson just to have a tie down spot...

SSTahoe
09-14-2005, 06:56 AM
Is Stead Field open at all to transient aircraft this week?? In the past we've had to fly into Carson just to have a tie down spot...
you can fly to carson or to my home base MEV a little farther but I can have some pick you up and bring you up and I can even store you aircraft in my hanger for a couple of days for a ***boater no charge discount. Or you you could just fly into reno and tie down there. Good luck getting a room in reno but you never know you might be able to, what type of aircraft do you have?
Chris

spectratoad
09-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Hey SS I will be out tomorrow. I cruzed around the pits yesterday but it was a quick run through. What is the aircraft/team name? I will be out in the food area pouring beer.

SMFRiverRat
09-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Monday is done and looks like September Fury is to be a no show. Apparently the engine screen pull was disasterous showing much metal shavings in the screens. Deadline for arrival is Tuesday Noon. Initial times for qualifying are up for some. Strega came out for a short run today missing many parts. They are working all night and its quite a thrash. The hangar doors are kept closed so there is little other information and no talking to supporters...
here are the speeds from today without decimals...
Unlimited
1) Rare Bear 470
2) Dreadnought 452
3) Spirit of Texas 431
4) Conch Fury (Ex-Cottonmouth) 405
5) Argonaut 403
6) Pardue's Bearcat 394
7) Polar Bear 346

spectratoad
09-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Rare Bear has always been a good contender. Strega was always good. We will see what they can get together.

SSTahoe
09-14-2005, 10:25 AM
Hey SS I will be out tomorrow. I cruzed around the pits yesterday but it was a quick run through. What is the aircraft/team name? I will be out in the food area pouring beer.
I did not get my trailer up there untill around 5:00 last night but we are way down at the west end of the field. The very last row of T-6 facing west next to the T-hangers look for this T-6, it will be parked in front of the grand stand during the day but park in the pits at night. and here is a pic of the logo on my trailer too. I will be there today and and every day starting Wednesday. I have a battery problem right now on the T-6 have to order a new one to have ready for tommorro. I help with the F1 racer #57 too he is in the Reno Air Race hanger at the west end also..
have to switch computor for next pic hold on be right back
Chris

Sleek-Jet
09-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Does Jack Frost still show up out there with his T-6 (Frostbite)???

SSTahoe
09-14-2005, 10:44 AM
h
Here is the logo of my trailer stop by its at the far west end of the pits facing west.
Chris
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2151logo-med.png

SSTahoe
09-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Does Jack Frost still show up out there with his T-6 (Frostbite)???
I will check for you in a couple of hours

spectratoad
09-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Cool will find you. Let me know if you need a go-fer for the batteries or anything. I am home all day and can do some running around for you if you need. Wouldn't be a problem. 745-5879 is my cell if you're in a time crunch for anything. Will stop by tomorrow morning. Looks like I would fit nicely in that backseat too. :D :D :D Todd

SSTahoe
09-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Cool will find you. Let me know if you need a go-fer for the batteries or anything. I am home all day and can do some running around for you if you need. Wouldn't be a problem. 745-5879 is my cell if you're in a time crunch for anything. Will stop by tomorrow morning. Looks like I would fit nicely in that backseat too. :D :D :D Todd
Cool see you there!!!!!!!!!

spectratoad
09-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Air Races are pretty much the end of the deal for the area as far as motorsports. :frown:
September 21-25 is Street Vibrations. :) :)

Mardonzi
09-14-2005, 04:42 PM
you can fly to carson or to my home base MEV a little farther but I can have some pick you up and bring you up and I can even store you aircraft in my hanger for a couple of days for a ***boater no charge discount. Or you you could just fly into reno and tie down there. Good luck getting a room in reno but you never know you might be able to, what type of aircraft do you have?
Chris
C-205,,, yes a 205...lol
It doesn't look like i'm going to be heading up. Kids called and they want to come over from Utah and head out on the lake for the weekend and I haven't ween them in a couple of months. I'll be there next year...
SMF,, keep me posted with the updates..Puuulllleeeeeeezzee!!

Sleek-Jet
09-14-2005, 04:46 PM
C-205,,, yes a 205...lol
It doesn't look like i'm going to be heading up. Kids called and they want to come over from Utah and head out on the lake for the weekend and I haven't ween them in a couple of months. I'll be there next year...
SMF,, keep me posted with the updates..Puuulllleeeeeeezzee!!
Nothing like a fixed gear 210.... :D

SSTahoe
09-14-2005, 05:54 PM
SSTahoe, anything going on in Reno the weekend of Oct 21-23, motorsports wise ? I have a school up there for a week.
Just street vibrations, a ton of nice bikes in town they will be down town....make that all over the place. Its a good time lots of eye candy bike and babes...

Mardonzi
09-15-2005, 05:26 AM
Nothing like a fixed gear 210.... :D
Not quite,,, the 205 doesn't have quite as much wing area as the 206, nor the extra 25 horsepower...
Guess it's time for an upgrade so I don't have to face all this ridicule.... :D :hammer2:

BarryMac
09-15-2005, 06:09 AM
SSTahoe, not going to make the races but wondering if you sell your t-shirts to former Reno/Tahoe peeps? Would love to sport one here in So Cal... :D

Sleek-Jet
09-15-2005, 06:15 AM
Not quite,,, the 205 doesn't have quite as much wing area as the 206, nor the extra 25 horsepower...
Guess it's time for an upgrade so I don't have to face all this ridicule.... :D :hammer2:
You've got a small tail too... :D
I like 205's, kinda like a big 182, with a nicer cabin. You can put the wing extensions on and gain an extra 3 feet of wing span, that helps alot. Talk to Don Sitta at Bisti Aviation in Farmington. :D
And the 205 was a 210A with fixed gear. It was Cessna's way of getting a fixed gear 6 seater on the market quickly.

franky
09-15-2005, 06:33 AM
I have been 2X if you like planes it's a must see! Nothing like having P51's going 500mph fly 50ft over you head.
AMEN to that, awsome feeling.

SMFRiverRat
09-15-2005, 07:57 AM
Unfortunately, it does not look like anybody is going to go 500 this year. Dago Red is a no show and Strega is making metal. They think it is from a main bearing. Both spears have the same bearings. Also some kind of 45K radiator problem.
I think it is going to be Rear Bears year (again) Dang Merlins

spectratoad
09-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Chris, It was great to meet you the g/f and the rest of the crew today. Thank you for the shirt, looks great. Thanks for the peek inside the cockpit, my dad got a kick out of it. Tried to bring my kids out this afternoon but one had volleyball practice. Hopefully tomorrow after school.
Turns out, as you may have heard, the owner of the aircraft and my dad had alot of the same stomping grounds in Hawaii back in the military days. Small world.
Thanks again, Todd

SSTahoe
09-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Chris, It was great to meet you the g/f and the rest of the crew today. Thank you for the shirt, looks great. Thanks for the peek inside the cockpit, my dad got a kick out of it. Tried to bring my kids out this afternoon but one had volleyball practice. Hopefully tomorrow after school.
Turns out, as you may have heard, the owner of the aircraft and my dad had alot of the same stomping grounds in Hawaii back in the military days. Small world.
Thanks again, Todd
Nice to meet you and your family too...I just got back so I have to run and unload everything so I will check bake in later and chat more...Our F1 race came in first in the gold on Sunday....not bad for a rookie!!!!!!
Chris

SSTahoe
09-20-2005, 12:32 PM
SSTahoe, not going to make the races but wondering if you sell your t-shirts to former Reno/Tahoe peeps? Would love to sport one here in So Cal... :D
Send me your shipping address pm style.
Chris