PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever think the Salton Sea area will be worth anything?

Mandelon
08-26-2005, 08:32 AM
The Salton Sea could be such an awesome place. Lots of cheap land, close by here in So Cal.....awesome weather...
Ya think the gov will ever figure it out? Even if they make half the lake funky and half the lake nice and clean......filter it or whatever...... and the real estate boom would be incredible......
I heard in the 50's it was a great lake to visit.

unleashed
08-26-2005, 08:36 AM
The Salton Sea could be such an awesome place. Lots of cheap land, close by here in So Cal.....awesome weather...
Ya think the gov will ever figure it out? Even if they make half the lake funky and half the lake nice and clean......filter it or whatever...... and the real estate boom would be incredible......
The government is to retarted to do something right...are you kidding??? Hey everytime I pass that junky lake on the way to Glamis I think the same thing. This place would be the boating mecca of California if they were to clean it up...but that would take brains. If we get enough people we could do it ourselves...we just need lots and lots of TNT and a place in Parker where no one would notice.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

2Driver
08-26-2005, 08:36 AM
With inflation about $1.50 - $1.75 :D :D

boxscore
08-26-2005, 09:45 AM
There is no way to "save" the Salton Sea. It's not natural, it was created by man's error. It's 285 feet below sea level, situated on a natural salt flat.
That's why they should leave the place alone. It was never meant to be a lake. You could throw 100's of millions at the place and still never be able to make it right. My Grandfather bought a lot there way back when. I think in the late 1950's...when it was gonna be the next mecca. It was even developed with nice streets and curb and gutter. Sold it about 10 years ago for $4,000. Although those cheap lots are now attracting builders and buyers who cant afford anything else here in the valley.

Ziggy
08-26-2005, 10:01 AM
I've known a few of my older customers that bought way back when there was proposals to turn it into resort like area...but the unhealthy sea turned away most developers. What these older folks expected to make them cash turned into a pitfall.
The sea itself could be restored to some degree of health in my opinion with decent in/out flows...It makes sense to create a flow between Sea of Cortez and SaltonSea with pipes or canals.....not rocket science, we do it to supply ourselves with shower and toilet water already.
With less Farmers farming the lands due to the water authority agreement, there is already a reduced amount of pesticides reaching the sea...a positive step.
One can only guess its future............probably not something many of us will see in our lifetime.

Sportin' Wood
08-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Granpp's use to boat there in the 50's, He told us it was a mess then as well.

Wonderboy
08-26-2005, 10:47 AM
What about the smell? That place stinks so bad! My friend and I had to work on a few cell phone towers near there for a few days. I was the nastiest smell. I never really noticed it when passing by to go to Glamis, but when I was stuck there for several days it got to me. My friend even gagged a few times.

BoatPI
08-26-2005, 11:07 AM
And the salt content is incredible. That is why outboards are used on the lake not to mention the shallow water.

tamalewagon
08-26-2005, 11:26 AM
There is no way to "save" the Salton Sea. It's not natural, it was created by man's error. It's 285 feet below sea level, situated on a natural salt flat. There is no outflow, only polluted agricultural runoff. The rate of evaporation is too great to overcome through any means but diverting a large amount of flow from the Colorado River, something that would cause great hardship on the Southern California as a whole.
It can never be fixed, it exists where no sea would naturally exist in nature. The best thing to do is leave it alone now.
The Salton Sea was not created by man's error. If you look at the history of the Salton Sea, it was formed by several floodings of the Colorado river back to 700 AD and more recently in 1500 AD. There have been several attempts to kickstart the real estate and lake itself, but all have failed so far. The sea itself is dying at a fairly rapid pace.

blender over
08-26-2005, 11:36 AM
What about the smell? That place stinks so bad! My friend and I had to work on a few cell phone towers near there for a few days. I was the nastiest smell. I never really noticed it when passing by to go to Glamis, but when I was stuck there for several days it got to me. My friend even gagged a few times.
If you dont mind me asking, who do you work for?
My company builds cell towers also.

phebus
08-26-2005, 11:53 AM
I haven't been to the Salton Stew since I was a kid. I bet it hasn't changed at all. Salty, stink, cessapool. :2purples:

JetBoatRich
08-26-2005, 11:55 AM
My grandparents bought land there in the 50's :rolleyes: went there all the time to fish and boat until around 1970 :confused: the lake became higher and covered the land, so my Grandmother quit paying taxes on it and walked away from it.

AZKC
08-26-2005, 12:27 PM
My wife tells me of story of her almost drowning in it back when she was 7-8 years old. I still look at her with the "You guys were swiming in that" look :eek:

SHOTKALLIN
08-26-2005, 12:31 PM
What ever happens there the tree-huggers will have a hand in it big time. That will mean no ***boats, Just like Diamond Valley Lake. The birdwatchers are involved with the Salton sea area since it attracts so many species of birds. The tree huggers made Calipatria state prison bird proof thier electric death fence. supposedly the hum of the current attracted birds to sit on the fence and then zap! All I am saying is that fixing the lake will involve lots of environmental extremists and way far leftists. I think the best we could ever hope for is a fishing / bird watching mecca. The lake is beautiful, I will say that. :D

Ziggy
08-26-2005, 12:33 PM
My wife tells me of story of her almost drowning in it back when she was 7-8 years old. I still look at her with the "You guys were swiming in that" look :eek:
She's full of it Kev ;) ....you can walk on the lake its so thick. :D

AZKC
08-26-2005, 01:31 PM
She's full of it Kev ;) ....you can walk on the lake its so thick. :D
Now remember this is when she was 7-8 so without doing the math :rollside: It was a while ago :D :D probably a little more like a lake back then :D

MR HARLEY
08-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Two things. The "sea" will never be clean enough that anybody in their right mind would want to take their ***boat in there. Second, it's actually a Republican pet project to clean it up, not a tree hugging Democrat. They estimate that clean up would cost the taxpayers of CA in the neighborhood of $350-500M with no real guarantees about how clean it would actually become.
Thats alot of cheese with no guarentee.... :idea:

OGShocker
08-26-2005, 01:41 PM
10,000 BC (Approx): Native Americans first occupy the Salton Basin.
700 AD: Lake Cahuilla arises in the Salton Sink when the Colorado River silts up its normal egress to the Gulf of California and swings northward through two overflow channels. Lake is subjected to wet and dry climatic cycles over intervening years, filling up and drying out four times.
700 AD: Riverine tribes along present day eastern Imperial County border practice farming. Presence of lake is an attractive addition to their annual round of domestic economics. After planting seeds and kernels in the Colorado floodplain, they cross the Imperial dunes to exploit the lakeshore and return home for summer harvest.
1500 (about): A large inflow of water from the gulf fills the lake to a body of water 26 times the size of the current Salton Sea. Its former water line is still visible on the nearby mountains.
1540: Colorado River delta first explored by Spanish. Melchior Diaz journeys up the mouth of a river now known as the Colorado from the gulf and sends expeditions from the river to present day Imperial Valley.
1604: Don Juan de Ornate, Spanish Governor of New Mexico, explores the river that he names the “Colorado”.
1700-1750: Last large infilling of Lake Cahuilla occurs.
1774: Don Juan Bautista de Anza leads the first large European party through what is now the Imperial Valley on the way to missions of San Gabriel. Salton Sink is a dry lake bed again.
1774: Spanish make first contact with the Cahuilla people, ancestors of present day Torres Martinez Desert Cahuilla Indians. There are 6,000 members of the tribe.
[Back to Period Index]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About 1825: Trappers, including Kit Carson, Jedediah Smith and Wm. Wolfskill, make trips to the lower Colorado and the Salton Sink.
1840: Colorado River flooding recorded to the Salton Sink. New River possibly formed at this time.
1849: Oliver M. Wozencraft records a flood by the Colorado River into the Salton Sink.
1849: ‘49ers begin crossing Imperial Valley on their way to California gold fields, crossing the mountains via Carriso Creek and Warner’s Hot Springs.
1852: More Colorado River flooding recorded to the Salton Sink.
1853: Imperial Valley recognized as potential desert “garden spot” if it can be adequately irrigated.
1859: More Colorado River flooding recorded to the Salton Sink.
1867: More Colorado River flooding recorded to the Salton Sink.
1876: U.S. Government establishes Torres Martinez Desert Cahuilla Indian Reservation with a grant of 640 acres.
1891: More Colorado River flooding recorded to the Salton Sink, forming 100,000-acre lake. Explorers discover mouth of Alamo River and connection between the sea and the Colorado River.
1891: 20,000 acres of land on the northern side of the Salton Sink are withdrawn from public use for the Torres Martinez Band of Desert Cahuilla Indians.
1892: New Liverpool Salt Company mining salt from a salt marsh centered west of the railroad in the Salton Sink.
1901: Imperial Canal brings water from the Colorado River to the Imperial Valley.
1904: Silt blocks the Imperial Canal preventing it from supplying water to the Imperial Valley.
1905: Temporary diversion of the Colorado River, constructed to replace water from the blocked canal, is breached by floodwaters. River changes course and flows into Salton Sink.
1906: Floodwaters continue to fill Salton Sea, washing away a chain of lakes along the route and threatening Imperial Valley’s fledgling agriculture industry.
1906: George Wharton James explores the flooded areas and reports seeing large concentrations of waterfowl, pelicans and other birds in the Salton Sea area.
1906: The Salton Sea is recorded at –195 feet below sea level.
1907: Floodwaters continue to fill Salton Sea until in February Southern Pacific Railroad closes the river breach.
1907: Sport fishing first promoted at Salton Sea.
1908: Joseph Grinnell surveys the refilled lake and finds breeding colonies of cormorants, white pelicans and other birds.
1909: Thinking the Salton Sea would be gone by the 1920s, the U.S. Government reserves in trust an additional 10,000 acres of land under the sea for the benefit of the Torres Martinez Band.
1910: Harold Bell Wright chronicles the floods and efforts to close the break in his best-selling novel, The Winning of Barbara Worth.
1911: Imperial Irrigation District formed; discussions begin promoting a new canal to supply water to the Valley.
1917-18 (about): Netting of mullet becomes profitable industry at Salton Sea during World War I.
1920 (about): Mullet Island on south end of Salton Sea and nearby mud pots become popular tourist attraction.
[Back to Period Index]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1924: President Coolidge issues an executive order setting aside lands under the Salton Sea as a permanent drainage reservoir.
1928: Congress authorizes construction of Boulder Dam and the All American Canal that will result in control of the Colorado and elimination of flooding.
1930: Salton Sea Wildlife Refuge established for protection of ducks, geese and shore birds.
1934: Construction begins on the All American Canal.
1935: Salton Sea’s level measured at –248 feet below sea level.
1938: Construction of Coachella Canal begins.
1941-45: Commercial fishermen use Salton Sea to supply mullet to coastal fish markets after German submarines make ocean fishing hazardous.
1942: The All American Canal begins supplying water to Imperial Valley.
1944-45: B-29s from the U.S. Army’s 393rd Heavy Bombardment Squadron, commanded by Lt. Col. Paul Tibbets, make regular but highly secret practice flights from Wendover Air Base in Utah and drop dummies of a new bomb into the Salton Sea. On Aug. 6, 1945, Tibbets and his crew in the Enola Gay drop the first Atomic Bomb over Hiroshima, Japan.
1948: The Coachella branch of the canal begins carrying water to Coachella Valley.
1950: Orange mouth corvina becomes the first salt water game fish to be successfully established in the Salton Sea. Short fin corvina and gulf croacker are also successfully transplanted.
1951: 65 sargo introduced to the Salton Sea—they quickly multiply and become the most abundant fish caught in Salton Sea until their numbers begin declining presumably due to salinity.
1955: Salton Sea State Park dedicated; at the time the second largest state park in California.
1956: Salton Sea’s level measured at –234.5 feet below sea level.
1958: M. Penn Phillips Co., a subsidiary of Holly Corp., maps out a community on the West Shore of Salton Sea, calling it Salton City.
1960: North Shore Beach and Yacht Club Estates opened on North side of Sea.
1961: The California Department of Fish and Game predicts the Salton Sea will eventually die because of increasing salinity levels by 1980 or 1990.
1968: Salton Sea’s surface elevation recorded at –233 feet below sea level.
1968: Tracey Henderson, in her book “Imperial Valley” writes that the Salton Sea’s “salinity threat is constant and is growing more serious each year.” She notes that by 1972, it may be too late to save the sea.
1974: A plan is discussed to reduce salinity levels with a diking system.
1976: Tropical storm Kathleen sweeps through Imperial Valley, flooding farmland and increasing level of Salton Sea. Above average rainfall for the next seven years, along with increased agricultural runoff and increased flows from Mexico, cause flooding of shoreline resorts.
1977: Tropical storm Doreen sweeps through Imperial Valley, the second “100 year storm” in two years.
1979: Salton Sea’s surface elevation recorded at –228 feet below sea level.
1980: Conservation efforts by the Imperial Irrigation District begin to somewhat stabilize the level of the lake, although fluctuations continue.
1985: Salinity of the Salton Sea exceeds 40 ppt.
1986: State issues advisory suggesting adults limit their intake of fish from the Salton Sea due to selenium threats.
1988: Salton Sea Task Force formed. It is the forerunner of the Salton Sea Authority, consisting of representatives from local government agencies.
1992: 150,000 eared grebes die on Salton Sea, capturing national attention.
1993: Salton Sea Authority formed in a joint powers agreement among the counties of Riverside and Imperial as well as the Coachella Valley Water District and the Imperial Irrigation District.
1994: Die-off of eared grebes claims 20,000 birds.
1995: Salinity of the Salton Sea approaches 45 ppt.
1996: Type C avian botulism causes large-scale mortalities of white and brown pelicans. This die-off focused national attention on the Sea. An estimated 15 to 20 percent of the western population of white pelicans and more than 1,000 endangered brown pelicans died. This was the largest reported die-off of an endangered species.
1997: Congressman Sonny Bono resolves to champion restoration of the Salton Sea and forms the Congressional Salton Sea Task Force.
1997: Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt launches multi-agency effort to restore the sea.
1998: The Science subcommittee is organized early in the year to conduct research into environmental issues impacting Salton Sea. Dr. Milt Friend is executive director.
1998: Congressman Bono is killed in skiing accident. Mary Bono, his wife, is elected to Congress and picks up the banner for the Salton Sea.
1998: Congress passes Salton Sea Reclamation Act directing the Secretary of Interior, acting through the Bureau of Reclamation, to prepare a feasibility study on restoration of the Salton Sea and submit it to Congress by Jan. 1, 2000.
1999: In August, 7.6 million tilapia and croakers die from oxygen being depleted due to algae in Salton Sea. Yet scientific studies show the Salton Sea may have the most productive fishery in the world.
2000: Salton Sea Authority and Bureau of Reclamation release plans for Salton Sea restoration.
2000: Pilot projects are approved and years of just talking about the problem end.
2000: Several systems, including enhanced evaporation and solar ponds, are tested to determine the best way to reduce salinity.
2000: A wildlife disease program is underway for early detection and response to disease outbreaks as a means for minimizing losses.
2000: The Salton Sea Authority enters into a partnership with the Salton Community Services District by funding a fish cleanup effort on the West Shore.
2000: A pet food manufacturer evaluates Salton Sea tilapia and commercial harvesting of the prolific fish becomes a possibility.

al cole'holic
08-26-2005, 01:45 PM
...alot of old school and new school realtors in the Palm Springs area are buying new homes up there and land. That will be the next place to pop for sure...

Riverkid
08-26-2005, 02:20 PM
If you dont mind me asking, who do you work for?
My company builds cell towers also.
Hmm. That makes three of us wireless guys on here so far...

OGShocker
08-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Did you ever actually go to school or did you learn everything you know from ***boat? Do some more research, specifically concerning yourself with the years addressed above.
1500 (about): A large inflow of water from the gulf fills the lake to a body of water 26 times the size of the current Salton Sea. Its former water line is still visible on the nearby mountains. :idea: Do you and your "friends" think this was caused by Global Warming. ;)
Pull up your pants, I am done with you for today.. :D

OGShocker
08-26-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm sure the area that we currently call the Salton Sea has contained water hundreds of times since the dawn of time, but in the late 1800s, it was basically a salt flat. Here, I'll cut and paste this from what I already wrote.
I'm sure if we looked hard enough, we could find evidence that Saber Toothed Tigers once roamed my backyard. Nature selected them for extinction, just as nature selected the area now occupied by the Salton Sea not to contain any water.
Do you get only one original thought per day? (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1501708&postcount=13)

OGShocker
08-26-2005, 03:34 PM
For the reading comprehensionally challenged, I'll embiggen what I wrote in my previous post. It basically excuses me from original thought, as I stated that I was cutting and pasting what I already wrote.
It's still just one thought.
Good night Bob.

Her454
08-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Boyz, Boyz... does it really matter how the hell the water got there? :)
BTW, does anyone want to purchase my property there? My parents left me two lots, bless their souls.

Mandelon
08-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Boyz, Boyz... does it really matter how the hell the water got there? :)
BTW, does anyone want to purchase my property there? My parents left me two lots, bless their souls.
OK I give you $20.00 :D

Her454
08-26-2005, 03:51 PM
OK I give you $20.00 :D
Dont insult me Mandy, its waterfront property and I've already been offered 25.00 :hammer2: :D

riverroyal
08-26-2005, 03:54 PM
all quarters,,,,land will go up there.El centro is filling up with track homes,so is indio,the market is stronger there than here at the coast

Mandelon
08-26-2005, 03:54 PM
I want to offer more........... :devil: You will need to give me a tour first...

Her454
08-26-2005, 03:56 PM
all quarters,,,,land will go up there.El centro is filling up with track homes,so is indio,the market is stronger there than here at the coast
..............Do I hear 30.00? LOL. Actually I've held on to it all these years waiting...tap, tap, tap...... and I get Brochures about every two years tellling me of the big plans to "rejuvinate" and build the city up...... its sad, and my daughter will eventually end up with it Im sure. Hopefully it will be something by then.

riverroyal
08-26-2005, 04:01 PM
5 years ago who would have even thought to move to lake elsinore!!!!Theres a cost co going in now.Temecula has spread,El centro will spread,indio will spread,this sounds racist but the latinos are buying home,multiple familes in alot of them,but they are buying the desert stuff

BOBALOO
08-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Last time I went thru the Salton Sea area there were a bunch of track homes going up. I couldn't believe it. I would rather live in Ocotillo than near that sesspool of a lake. It would be the Greatest place if it was not so NASTY, just imagine a 2 hour drive to your favorite lake instead of 5. But in all reality it would end up full of diapers,feces,and bodies like Perris.

v-drive
08-26-2005, 04:03 PM
A few years ago the inlaws bought a place in hesperia. Nice place and although the original hesperia is still in tact developers are slowly taking notice and buying up property. 2 years ago I was looking at 2 acres in the vicinity of 7th street and thought I'll just wait and he'll drop his price. He got what he was asking so I just forgot about it. About 3 months ago I was looking at an acre on lime st and figured this is the one. I called the realtor and the lot had just sold for 160,000 not only that but it was only on the market since that morning.
So I guess if it's property in California (no matter where) it's going to be worth alot. I am still looking for that deal that I can't pass up in Hesperia.
:cool: v-drive

Her454
08-26-2005, 04:08 PM
5 years ago who would have even thought to move to lake elsinore!!!!Theres a cost co going in now.Temecula has spread,El centro will spread,indio will spread,this sounds racist but the latinos are buying home,multiple familes in alot of them,but they are buying the desert stuff
When I lived in Yuma, it was small. El Centro was not half as large as it is now. I cant believe the growth in that area and how widespread the towns are. Back then, the foothills were a long drive from Yuma, now the town flows all the way past the foothills. Wont be many more years before it will reach out to Martinez Lake. I know that most of the people who have owned property in the Salton Sea purchased back in the 50's like my parents did and expected it to boom. Hopefully after 3 generations of owning it, there will be some value in it.

CA Stu
08-26-2005, 04:08 PM
In its current incarnation, the Salton Sea is the direct result of the attempted re-routing of the Colorado River.
Without the colossal f-up previously referenced, today, the basin would be devoid of water.
And what's with all the stupid wildlife preservation talk? What, there were no birds before 1900? :hammerhea:
Give me a break.
Thanks
CA Stu

CA Stu
08-26-2005, 04:10 PM
CA Stu, you're showing your ass again. :D
Kiss it

Her454
08-26-2005, 04:11 PM
CA Stu, you're showing your ass again. :D
Must be a full moon, there are quite a few showing today. :D

Mandelon
08-26-2005, 04:12 PM
USFilter had developed a plan to dike off part of the lake and clean a portion of it. They'd filter and pump the clean water onto one side and leave the funky stuff on the other side.
They'd need to treat the runoff tributaries and the "New River" for sure....I think it could be done, but it would be many millions of dollars to make it work....

CA Stu
08-26-2005, 04:12 PM
If that's yours in your avatar, I wish it could be full moons all month long ;)

Phat Matt
08-26-2005, 04:18 PM
There is no way to "save" the Salton Sea. It's not natural, it was created by man's error. It's 285 feet below sea level, situated on a natural salt flat. There is no outflow, only polluted agricultural runoff. The rate of evaporation is too great to overcome through any means but diverting a large amount of flow from the Colorado River, something that would cause great hardship on the Southern California as a whole.
It can never be fixed, it exists where no sea would naturally exist in nature. The best thing to do is leave it alone now.
Not true. It can be fixed with time and management. It used to be one of the best fishing in California. You could throw in a bare hook and catch talipia, croaker, sargo off the beach. I swear! The corvina fishing back in the day was unbelievable!!! The salinity levels are now to high and the fish aren't reproducing.
It is also one of the main stops for migratory birds that use the pacific flyway. If something isn't done to the sea management wise the effects on the birds would be devastating.
My grandparents bought a place out there years ago to retire because it was supposed to be the next big thing. Just recently they started building nicer homes and a hotel casino out there and they are being bought up. If they put the money into it now there is no doubt in my mind that they could recoup it with tourism dollars and residents moving back out there. I wish more would be done.
I will however be out there blasting some dove on opening day. :D

nodigg
08-26-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm going' out to try to buy a big plot. Anybody got some acerage nearby?
40 plus I mean?

Riverkid
08-26-2005, 04:26 PM
It is also one of the main stops for migratory birds that use the pacific flyway. If something isn't done to the sea management wise the effects on the birds would be devastating. :D
We duck hunt down there at Wister Unit all the time. There's some great waterfowl hunting down there. Beats driving up to Mendota.

Cole
08-26-2005, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=Mandelon]USFilter had developed a plan to dike off part of the lake and clean a portion of it. They'd filter and pump the clean water onto one side and leave the funky stuff on the other side.
I just like the fact you used the word "dike" in a :D :D sentence!!

Mandelon
08-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Heh heh heh heh :p

Phat Matt
08-26-2005, 04:35 PM
We duck hunt down there at Wister Unit all the time. There's some great waterfowl hunting down there. Beats driving up to Mendota.
So do I, among other places around there.

Phat Matt
08-26-2005, 04:38 PM
Anything will "work" if you throw enough money at it, hell, that's how half of us got married. :D
Should a "sea" really not be self sustaining? The proposed fix that Mandelon touched on was what I was referring to when I said the planned cleanup was in the neighborhood of $350-500M. That's a lot of $2 steak and egg breakfasts.
Sure. I never said it would be cheap, I am just saying it would be possible.
I would be a mega resort if it was though that could bring in mega dollars.
How much did Wynn spend building a single hotel? Get a tycoon to put the money down fixing the sea in trade for the prime property rights. I bet he would make his money back.
Anyone got Bill Gate's number? :)

beyondhelpin
08-26-2005, 05:44 PM
That is what I was thinking!

Phat Matt
08-26-2005, 05:48 PM
As environmentally friendly as Gates is, I doubt he's the man. Maybe one of the guys that owns a big oil company. :D
No kidding. I really do think they could make their money if it was clean though. Havasu would die though and the marina could have it their way. :D

Phat Matt
08-26-2005, 07:07 PM
45+- miles long 25 +- wide ,fished the hell out of ,80-100 fish a day, drank so much beer,sett'n and fishn,one of the biggest game reserves(birds,duck fish) in the US,to bad the gov won't help clean it up,or at least stop the flow of the new river(comes out of mexi).its been awile,but some of the best fishing i have ever done in a little 14' boat/5hp motor :rollside:.their is some big fish in the sea,gramps has been fishn it sence i was a small kid,and he ate all the fish he caught :confused: he's 85 and still kickn it :rollside:
Same here. I was in all the corvina derbies when I was growing up. I still have my trophies somewhere around here. My grandma could cook the best corvina too. I miss being out there trolling a thin fin or using baby talapia. Those corvina would put up a fight! Save the sea! :D
http://espn.go.com/winnercomm/outdoors/general/i/P2_CA_SaltonSea.jpg http://www.shoreangling.com/saltonsea/corvinavandamcropsmall.jpeg http://www.sdhookandline.com/saltonsea/Bowman_corvina4.jpghttp://www.sungrubbies.com/Photos/TomCorvina1a-sm.jpg

Phat Matt
08-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Here is a shot from space.
http://federationofwesternoutdoorclubs.org/newart/saltonsea-nasa.jpg

Man-de-lone
08-26-2005, 07:19 PM
Nice pics Matt. Looks like a lot of water....

Phat Matt
08-26-2005, 07:23 PM
Here are some more pics of the dead smelly worthless lake. :D
http://www.southwestbirders.com/Photos/salton%20sea%20sunset2.jpg http://www.southwestbirders.com/Photos/salton%20sea%20sunset1.jpg http://www.southwestbirders.com/ss122902/ssea2.jpg http://www.southwestbirders.com/Photos/salton%20sea%20sunset3.jpg http://www.southwestbirders.com/ss122902/ssea1.jpg http://www.southwestbirders.com/Photos/salton%20sea%20sunset4.jpg

Phat Matt
08-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Nice pics Matt. Looks like a lot of water....
It is. I tell Jen everytime we drive to Havasu how I wish we could be turning down 86S. It would be a boating mecca!

Essex29
08-26-2005, 07:28 PM
Dude, some of those pics look a little freaky

Sun burners
08-26-2005, 08:41 PM
I heard a RUMOR a couple of months ago that Arnold Schwarzenegger was buying up ALOT of property out there?
I thought about buying out there, If nothing else I could leave the sand toys out there!

unleashed
08-26-2005, 08:50 PM
Matt, I wish the same about that Lake...Everytime I drive by it I tell the wife that it is the biggest waste of a lake that has ever existed on this planet. If they could restore it, it would serve LA, Riverside, Orange, and San diego counties...Havasu would be off my boating list and Salton put to the top. It would be so easy to divert some of the colorado river to this lake and return it to its hayday. They used to have day spas, waterparks and all the stars would go there to get away from the city. The river that runs into it now from Mexico is the most polluted in the country...there was a big article about it not to long ago. I guess the only real hope is for the desert area of palm springs to keep building golf courses etc. and hopefully increase the snow an rainfall in the future....we'll see.
Deano

Phat Matt
08-26-2005, 09:29 PM
I heard a RUMOR a couple of months ago that Arnold Schwarzenegger was buying up ALOT of property out there?
I thought about buying out there, If nothing else I could leave the sand toys out there!
I hope that is true. That would mean he knows something about the future of the sea.

Phat Matt
08-26-2005, 09:32 PM
Matt, I wish the same about that Lake...Everytime I drive by it I tell the wife that it is the biggest waste of a lake that has ever existed on this planet. If they could restore it, it would serve LA, Riverside, Orange, and San diego counties...Havasu would be off my boating list and Salton put to the top. It would be so easy to divert some of the colorado river to this lake and return it to its hayday. They used to have day spas, waterparks and all the stars would go there to get away from the city. The river that runs into it now from Mexico is the most polluted in the country...there was a big article about it not to long ago. I guess the only real hope is for the desert area of palm springs to keep building golf courses etc. and hopefully increase the snow an rainfall in the future....we'll see.
Deano
Could you imagine what it would be like if it had clear waters? That would be the place to hit up on the weekends and then retire to. It's only an hour away from me now. :)

bordsmnj
08-26-2005, 09:40 PM
well,not to hijack but Matt where did you get that satelite photo from?you gotta link to that site? :idea: :D

Phat Matt
08-26-2005, 10:08 PM
well,not to hijack but Matt where did you get that satelite photo from?you gotta link to that site? :idea: :D
I them last time I was up there. Here is a bigger one.
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/images/3408/STS111-E-5224.JPG

bordsmnj
08-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks. i didin't realize you took that yourself. cool. :cool:

Phat Matt
08-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks. i didin't realize you took that yourself. cool. :cool:
Just kidding dude. :) lol
I got them from NASA. Here is the link. I wish I took them!
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?vev1id=17901

Riverkid
08-26-2005, 11:17 PM
So do I, among other places around there.
My buddy just bought an aluminum duck boat/blind with one of those "mud runner" outboards on it. He and his pops are down there in the boat at Wister and they look up, and here comes a flight of pink flamingos into their setup... Ranger figured they must have escaped from one of the hotels in Palm Desert... :D

Phat Matt
08-26-2005, 11:21 PM
My buddy just bought an aluminum duck boat/blind with one of those "mud runner" outboards on it. He and his pops are down there in the boat at Wister and they look up, and here comes a flight of pink flamingos into their setup... Ranger figured they must have escaped from one of the hotels in Palm Desert... :D
That would be an awesome sight to see! We've been down there when the sky is just full of geese. You hear them honking before sun up and then the flocks just keep coming.

Riverkid
08-27-2005, 08:31 AM
We also go up to the Mammoth area to hunt. Last season we went up to the lake, and there must have been 10,000+ geese sitting there. They all started up, and for about fifteen minutes you couldn't hear yourself think as they circled around and climbed out. Loud little suckers! It was awesome.

tamalewagon
08-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Did you ever actually go to school or did you learn everything you know from ***boat? Do some more research, specifically concerning yourself with the years addressed above.
Gee Bob...anyone that disagrees with you should be shot huh? Seems like just don't like it when you have a conflicting point or you just need to be "right" all the time? Ease up Bob...this is just conversation, no one is calling you out.

Phat Matt
08-27-2005, 12:35 PM
We also go up to the Mammoth area to hunt. Last season we went up to the lake, and there must have been 10,000+ geese sitting there. They all started up, and for about fifteen minutes you couldn't hear yourself think as they circled around and climbed out. Loud little suckers! It was awesome.
I've never hunted up there. They are loud though. That's for sure.
<embed src="http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/waterfowling/waterfowlingq/calling/sounds/goose_greeting2.wav" autostart="true" loop="false" width="0" height="0"></embed>
<embed src="http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/waterfowling/waterfowlingq/calling/sounds/goose_greeting2.wav" autostart="true" loop="false" width="0" height="0"></embed>
<embed src="http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/waterfowling/waterfowlingq/calling/sounds/goose_greeting.wav" autostart="true" loop="false" width="0" height="0"></embed>
<embed src="http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/waterfowling/waterfowlingq/calling/sounds/goose_greeting.wav" autostart="true" loop="false" width="0" height="0"></embed>