PDA

View Full Version : MSD ignition making noise when key on????

HotDogz
08-26-2005, 10:00 AM
Once in a while, when I turn my key on, there is a noise (buzzing) coming from my ignition. Cannot pinpoint exact source of noise. Has anyone had any experiences like this with their ignition?

Heatseeker
08-26-2005, 10:29 AM
It may be the power relay inside the MSD box. Mine clicks when you turn the key on.

victorfb
08-26-2005, 10:32 AM
i cant hear shiot over the electric fuel pump, but if i had to bet id say if your hearing a noise from it, its probably ready to go. good idea with posting on here to see if others are having that problem.

HotDogz
08-26-2005, 11:04 AM
I hope I dont have to change my opinion of MSD, ignition only has 60 hours on it. Noise comes on when key is on motor not running, is also present while motor is running. Most times not there at all. :confused: Just showed up in between trips.
checked grounds
checked connectors
have 12+ volts in battery:220v:
moved p/u wires closer to block
Short of swapping in a new box, Im not sure what else I can do myself. Need HB input. Ive already outspent my jetjunky budget for this year, so a new box will have to wait for spring.

waxer
08-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Call MSD, I have had great experience with their tech support both times I have called. Ultratweaker has send 2 units in for repair @ no cost. :argue:

Mr. Crusader 83
08-26-2005, 12:23 PM
i have the 6A box and mine does the same thing even more so when its 115 in havafew

N281PONY
08-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Call MSD, I have had great experience with their tech support both times I have called. Ultratweaker has send 2 units in for repair @ no cost. :argue:
The guys at MSD are great....you ever have a problem they do everything they can to get you taken care of. Plus its got to be a cool place to work. Last summer we did some testing for their new boost controller ( MSD Testing (http://www.msdignition.com/1skunkworks.htm) ) and got to hang out for a few days and tour their plant.

HotDogz
08-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks for all your input, I feel a little better. Shot off an e-mail to MSD and hope I hear something soon.

steelcomp
08-26-2005, 09:18 PM
could it be that this happens if the engine is stopped and the reluctor is lined up with the pick-up?

Rexone
08-26-2005, 09:52 PM
MSD has a tech forum on their website too which I've heard works pretty well. MSD Tech Forums (http://www.msdignition.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/index.php)

maxwedge
08-26-2005, 09:53 PM
My MSD boxes all make buzzing noise when they are working. I'm pretty sure it's normal. Most people just never hear it over the engine. I have mounted a few inside of cars and you can hear it pretty well with a quiet exhaust and the radio off.