PDA

View Full Version : performance improvement from switch to electronic ignition???

bighead
08-26-2005, 10:49 AM
Perhaps a stupid question but I am asking anyhow. I have heard conflicting opinions on upgrading from a dual point to electronic ignition. Other that the maint. issue of not having to set up points and time the motor what performance gains can be expected from upgrading to electronic ignition or converting to a pertronix type trigger set up? I am not talking about magnetos or super trick racing setups but sticking in a HEI, Mallory Unilite, Crane or MSD setup.

BrendellaJet
08-26-2005, 10:53 AM
It all depends on what condition your points set up is in. If its old and points are not clean, a new ignition will make a big difference. Likewise if the distributor is worn you may be suffering from soom poor timing as well, both of which would hurt your performance. that said, plenty run points around here with no problems. With the electronic setups you might see a little cleaner idle and faster startups, in addition to less maintenance.

bighead
08-26-2005, 11:01 AM
Current condition of ignition is fine, points replaced 6 hrs runtime ago and rechecked recently, right on the money dwell and timing.It does have a Accel super coil. In the mid 80's when I was messing with cars it seems we saw a huge improvement with a unilite system and hei over stock points.

Squirtin Thunder
08-26-2005, 12:35 PM
My Mallory Unilite bushings wore out and lost 400rpms. Installed old Mallory Double life dist and gained 500rpms. That is the 400 I lost and an extra 100.

BrendellaJet
08-26-2005, 01:26 PM
I did change from a points distributor on my 454 to a DUI HEI and picked up 500 rpm, and it also cleaned up some high end miss issues I was having, my stock ignition was hurting though...Im going MSD on the new motor, so if you are interested in a stock HEI with a DUI cap, rotor coil and dyna mod let me know. Id like to get $90 bucks for it.

SmokinLowriderSS
08-26-2005, 07:02 PM
If your current ignition system is sickly, sure it'll be an improvement. If your current system is tight, fully functional, and accurate at holding timing, you will find only minor improvements, if any at all. I'm still running my original Prestolite with points (although I noticed this year the mech. adv. springs are DONE, will replace this winter). She's 27 years old but the points are only 2.

IMPATIENT 1
08-26-2005, 07:47 PM
points in a dist is like hand crank starting your car.it's olllllllld technology.electronic pickup dist don't require near the maint.and don't break down on the topend like points.single,dual points, they still don't compare.buy a msd system and fugettaboutit!your current setup sparks once on each cylinder's ignition cycle.msd sparks 20 times on each cycle.got alittle water in the fuel ,msd will fire a wet plug.i should be there ad man!!lol :rollside: