PDA

View Full Version : Marine 1

UnionJack
08-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Sitting at the shop in Rancho Cucamonga... and I saw Marine 1 flying over the area. Is President Bush in Rancho Cucamonga?

Kilrtoy
08-26-2005, 03:25 PM
That would be Air Force one.....

LHC30Victory
08-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I hear he came to see the Jack Benny statue :sleeping:

JB in so cal
08-26-2005, 03:36 PM
That would be Air Force one.....
Air Force One is the plane (Air Force); Marine One is the (one of many) helo. Flown by Naval or Marine Aviators.

JB in so cal
08-26-2005, 03:37 PM
Sitting at the shop in Rancho Cucamonga... and I saw Marine 1 flying over the area. Is President Bush in Rancho Cucamonga?
Could it be one of the older ones; re habbed to go into the Reagan LIbrary?

cdog
08-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Could it be one of the older ones; re habbed to go into the Reagan LIbrary?
I think that sounds right. I saw on tv that they're putting some planes over at the R Reagan library. Is there a landing strip for a 747 at the library?

ahhell
08-26-2005, 03:43 PM
heard he MIGHT be in the IE sometime soon :2purples:

JB in so cal
08-26-2005, 03:46 PM
I think that sounds right. I saw on tv that they're putting some planes over at the R Reagan library. Is there a landing strip for a 747 at the library?
Not now, but a 747 could make a hell of a dent.

riverroyal
08-26-2005, 03:48 PM
camp pendleton last summer when the pres flew in,we had a nice day off :cry:

cdog
08-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Mabey the pres flew in for the scope run on Saturday. I saw a big ass Outerlimits over at teauges yesterday when I was droppeing off my boat.

doesitfloat?
08-26-2005, 03:50 PM
He was just in Idaho and flew over me in Marine One on Monday. Pretty cool until I found out that there are several Marine One's used as decoys.
Looked like a badass copter.
I think he's in Nampa, Idaho today.

jbtrailerjim
08-26-2005, 03:52 PM
I read in the paper, that he is making a visit to Rancho Cucamonga.

Riverkid
08-26-2005, 04:14 PM
They already have the old AF1 that Reagan flew in up at the library - it's around back in the new construction area. Just the fuselage tho...

Kilrtoy
08-26-2005, 04:19 PM
Air Force One is the plane (Air Force); Marine One is the (one of many) helo. Flown by Naval or Marine Aviators.
I just realized that and came back to correct my error..... :hammer2:

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 04:24 PM
... and if the prez was in a CG helo it would be Coast Guard One, or a Navy aircraft it would be Navy One...
And for a little bit of useless trivia... Anyone know what the call sign would be if he was in a non-military aircraft (Like an FAA aircraft)??? :D

JB in so cal
08-26-2005, 04:27 PM
... and if the prez was in a CG helo it would be Coast Guard One, or a Navy aircraft it would be Navy One...
And for a little bit of useless trivia... Anyone know what the call sign would be if he was in a non-military aircraft (Like an FAA aircraft)??? :D
The Bushy One?
I think it's omething along the lines of Exec. 1, or something...

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 04:28 PM
The Bushy One?
I think it's omething along the lines of Exec. 1, or something...
Bushy One... LMAO...
Yes on the Executive One. :D

JB in so cal
08-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Bushy One... LMAO...
Yes on the Executive One. :D
There's alot of useless crap rattling around my dome. :boxed: I actually pulled that out of reading a book about AF1, written by NIxon's pilot. Good read - interesting.

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 04:33 PM
There's alot of useless crap rattling around my dome. :boxed: I actually pulled that out of reading a book about AF1, written by NIxon's pilot. Good read - interesting.
OK... so why is Airforce One the only airplane that has logged more takeoffs than landings... without suffering an accident??? :D

Badger301
08-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Badger301!!!! J/K no idea but I just had to do it

JB in so cal
08-26-2005, 04:35 PM
OK... so why is Airforce One the only airplane that has logged more takeoffs than landings... without suffering an accident??? :D
Any particular a/c? Or the group as a whole? dc6, 7, Connie, 707, 747?

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 04:40 PM
Just Airforce One in general....

JB in so cal
08-26-2005, 04:41 PM
707 that had Nixon aboard? Resigned mid flight-just a military transport flight after that?

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 04:43 PM
707 that had Nixon aboard? Resigned mid flight-just a military transport flight after that?
Close enough....
As soon as Ford was sworn in as President, Aiforce One became MAC 26000.
That's just about all of the Airforce One trivia I've got.

JB in so cal
08-26-2005, 04:46 PM
I think I may have asked you this prior, but is that Lefty Gardner's P 38 in your aviatar? He use to tear up Reno. I think he evn raced a DC 6 for a few years.

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 04:50 PM
I think I may have asked you this prior, but is that Lefty Gardner's P 38 in your aviatar? He use to tear up Reno. I think he evn raced a DC 6 for a few years.
Yep... That's White Lightning...
I can't remember who it was that raced the Connie or a DC-6.

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Yep... That's White Lightning...
I can't remember who it was that raced the Connie or a DC-6.
I want to say Paul Mantz and Clay Lacy... but that's just a guess. :confused:

coorslt4u2
08-26-2005, 05:11 PM
I work here at the ONT airport and it's not marine 1
( looks like it ) it's the secert service chopper, it was parked next to us here today.
The prez is coming in on monday, and the secert service was out here today checking things out. If he does make it monday out here, I would stay away from rancho cucamonga, as it will be a mess........DAMM I live in rancho .......... :cry: :cry: :cry:
I will say one thing the is one thing that's one bad-ass-chopper.

SMFRiverRat
08-26-2005, 05:24 PM
I want to say Paul Mantz and Clay Lacy... but that's just a guess. :confused:
You are correct.(clay Lacey)..I have a pic of it someplace and if i can figure out how to post...
I think Paul Mantz was already dead when they raced it, He was killed filming Flight of the Phoenix.

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 05:39 PM
You are correct.(clay Lacey)..I have a pic of it someplace and if i can figure out how to post...
I think Paul Mantz was already dead when they raced it, He was killed filming Flight of the Phoenix.
I couldn't remember what year(s) that the airplane was raced...
My other guess was Darryl Greenemeyer... but that doesn't sound right either.

SMFRiverRat
08-26-2005, 05:42 PM
I couldn't remember what year(s) that the airplane was raced...
My other guess was Darryl Greenemeyer... but that doesn't sound right either.
Opps...it was actually a DC-7 according to the logs. Flown by Clay Lacey and Allan Paulson. Known as Super Snoopy and had the number 64. Flown in 1970 at the California 1000 Air Races.

Boatcop
08-26-2005, 06:14 PM
... and if the prez was in a CG helo it would be Coast Guard One,
Not entirely true. The Air Force is the only "official" airliner of the President and the Marines the only "official" helecopter. The aircraft used (there are several) are fortified and specially constructed just to shuittle the President and dignataries. Whichever one the POTUS is on, carries the "1" designation.
I'm quite sure that when he flew to Iraq on Thanksgiving several years ago, he wasn't using a target like AF1.
The Coast Guard does have a lear jet, designated "Coast Guard One" to shuttle the CG Commandant. Other services may have similar designations, with the exception of Air Force and Marines.

BoatPI
08-26-2005, 06:22 PM
Marine 1 is a very large heilo. I was on it a few years back. An incredible machine.

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 06:27 PM
"Fill in the branch" One is mearly the call sign of what ever aircraft the president is on (or rather in). His usuall rides are thought of as being the only Air Force One or Marine One in the publics eye, but really it doesn't matter.
When Bush came aboard the aircraft carrier, he was flying in "Navy" One, a fleet aircraft.
That's also why Air Force One ceased to be in the air when Ford was inagurated... the president was no longer aboard.

JB in so cal
08-26-2005, 06:43 PM
My Dad knew Mantz's partner, Frank Tallman. Tallmantz Aviation was the premier movie-filming company in early Hollywood days. When we moved to OC in '72, his Movie Museum was still open -closed about 10-15 years ago - at John Wayne A/P. Occupied by an FBO, now. Lot's of coooool stuff. They had a converted B-25 with a glass nose that could be filmed through. Also a drop-down camera position in the (bomb bay) area. Instead of bomb markings representing combat runs, they had "movie camera" stickers they put on the fuselage representing movies they worked.

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 06:46 PM
My Dad knew Mantz's partner, Frank Tallman. Tallmantz Aviation was the premier movie-filming company in early Hollywood days. When we moved to OC in '72, his Movie Museum was still open -closed about 10-15 years ago - at John Wayne A/P. Occupied by an FBO, now. Lot's of coooool stuff. They had a converted B-25 with a glass nose that could be filmed through. Also a drop-down camera position in the (bomb bay) area. Instead of bomb markings representing combat runs, they had "movie camera" stickers they put on the fuselage representing movies they worked.
Kermit Weeks has most of the Tallmantz museum airplanes now... they're down in Florida.