PDA

View Full Version : how to go faster?

code8
08-26-2005, 04:32 PM
I have 2005 ultra 21' stealth with a stock GM vortec 6000 (6.L / 350 HP) with a Dominator Jet pump. Everything else is stock. :) Great boat and the speed is ok for now,52-55 mph. Someday soon I would like to hit 60 mph with out breaking my wallet.
I called both Whipple and Procharger about a supercharger. Both companies do not make anything for my engine.
Is there anything that I can do to the engine, pump or anything else to go faster? Where shoud I start, the pump or the engine. Can the speed be achieved with a budget of approx. $5,000.00.
Any suggestions would help.

MikeF
08-26-2005, 04:45 PM
5k for a Gold plated stripper pole.........that's all you need. :D

HM
08-26-2005, 04:47 PM
Budget?

Wonderboy
08-26-2005, 04:47 PM
Remove all the seats, carpet and stereo equipment. That should be good for at least 3mph. :D

HocusPocus
08-26-2005, 04:48 PM
http://www.erowid.org/library/books/images/laughing_gas.jpg
:idea: :idea:

HighRoller
08-26-2005, 04:48 PM
This may sound incredibly simple, but call Ultra and ask them if they'll put a Big Block in your boat and take your small block in trade. I'm seeing a lot of small block stern drive Ultras for sale these days so that engine might be in demand. I imagine for $5000 plus your engine they'd work with you to at least get a stock 502 in that thing which would put you right at 60mph and a much better holeshot.
The other benefit would be the endless availibility of relatively cheap aftermarket parts for the big block. Down the road you could spend another $5K and have a 70mph boat

Riverkid
08-26-2005, 04:49 PM
with a budget of approx. $5,000.00.
Come on Frank, stick with it! :)

essexjet
08-26-2005, 04:54 PM
I have 2005 ultra 21' stealth with a stock GM vortec 6000 (6.L / 350 HP) with a Dominator Jet pump. Everything else is stock. :) Great boat and the speed is ok for now,52-55 mph. Someday soon I would like to hit 60 mph with out breaking my wallet.
I called both Whipple and Procharger about a supercharger. Both companies do not make anything for my engine.
Is there anything that I can do to the engine, pump or anything else to go faster? Where shoud I start, the pump or the engine. Can the speed be achieved with a budget of approx. $5,000.00.
First I would look into (if you dont have one yet) place diverter, ride plate and droop scoop. Then change the headers and intake that should get you pretty close the 60mph

H20 Party Starter
08-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Easy...
N. O. S. ;) And you'll have $$ left over for more gas and beer :cool:

HM
Come on Frank, stick with it! :)
LOL....reading is fundemental. Dote!
:) :) :) :)

Tom Brown
Setback bracket. ProMax 300x. Done. :cool:

Kilrtoy
08-26-2005, 05:00 PM
BUDGET and BOAT does not mix
that is like drinking and driving...

Havasu Hangin'
08-26-2005, 05:03 PM
This may sound incredibly simple, but call Ultra and ask them if they'll put a Big Block in your boat and take your small block in trade. I'm seeing a lot of small block stern drive Ultras for sale these days so that engine might be in demand. I imagine for $5000 plus your engine they'd work with you to at least get a stock 502 in that thing which would put you right at 60mph and a much better holeshot.
The other benefit would be the endless availibility of relatively cheap aftermarket parts for the big block. Down the road you could spend another $5K and have a 70mph boat
A stock BBC will only have about 25 more HP, but weigh a couple hundred pounds more...definately not worth it.
A cam and heads will probably get you another 75HP. However, since it's a jet, that's probably only a .25 MPH gain. :hammer2:

HighRoller
08-26-2005, 05:20 PM
A stock BBC will only have about 25 more HP, but weigh a couple hundred pounds more...definately not worth it.
A cam and heads will probably get you another 75HP. However, since it's a jet, that's probably only a .25 MPH gain. :hammer2:
Well, it's not HP he needs it's torque. A stock 502 is rated at 435Hp and probably 100 ft/lbs more torque than the 6.0. That's why the 502 will push the same boat 60-62mph. A small block in a boat that big is a bad idea especially if you're gonna carry people and gear. You need the torque of a bigger engine. And I'd be willing to bet that aftermarket parts for the 6.0 are just as expensive if not more than the 502. I see you point of view HH, but I'm thinking long term, everyday use not to mention resale value. From what I've seen, small block jet boats aren't in demand.
Another option is a GM crate motor.

Havasu Hangin'
08-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Well, it's not HP he needs it's torque.
You can go debate the jet guys on HP vs torque...I'm not getting in the middle of that one.
Since Merc (and GM) no longer offer the 502, I guess you gotta look at the 496, which is rated at 375HP. The Mag is 425HP. Both weigh significantly more than the small blocks.
My last 383 (6.2 SBC) I built dyno'ed at over 400 ft-lbs of torque at 2,500RPMs. With a little bigger cam, I bet I could have easily topped 500HP on pump gas. The whole thing was probably around $7K- there's no cheaper HP than a SBC.
The key to making HP with a SBC is getting it to breathe- cam heads, and exhaust. If you're putting heads on, you can bump the compression to make up for the bleed off from the bigger cam.
But what do I know? I'm just an idiot with a keyboard.

Tom Brown
08-26-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm just an idiot with a keyboard.
An internet keyboard jockey. :idea:

code8
08-26-2005, 05:40 PM
As far as my pump, I do have a place place diverter but NO ride plate or a droop scoop. Would these two items make a difference?
I was leaning toward the exhaust idea. Any suggestions on which brand and how much HP do think I can gain?
Also, what about the idea of changing the impellar. I belive it's an "A".

SHAKEN Not Stirred
08-26-2005, 05:41 PM
I would leave you boat the way it is and just have fun with it for a while..... ;)
Turn the key......starts.....good fun.....clean it......put it away !!! :D
Messing with a stock powerplant is not usually the best way to go... :rolleyes:
Look down the road for a bit bigger boat....say a 25' or so with a 525... ;)
My.02 anyway.... :idea:
Later,
CJG
:D

Havasu Hangin'
08-26-2005, 05:51 PM
An internet keyboard jockey. :idea:
One day, I hope to be a "journeyman" Internet Keyboard Jockey... :idea:
I was leaning toward the exhaust idea. Any suggestions on which brand and how much HP do think I can gain?
Exhaust won't net much alone, but it's a start.
I would leave you boat the way it is and just have fun with it for a while..... ;)
Agreed. I guess I'm too old to wanna work on stuff at the river anymore...
:cool:

77charger
08-26-2005, 05:57 PM
put money into the pump.A nos system will get you about 5-9mph depending on how your pump is set up. pro charger set up will prob be your best bet
I have a 21 ft eliminator with a 350 mag and a prop 255hp at prop it will run from 55-59 depending on load and temp.But gets really good gas mpg.
I wish ole HH would have tried his motor(383) in my boat i am sure it would have been over 70.I am going to wait til it goes then rebuild me a nice sbc with about 50-75 more hp

HighRoller
08-26-2005, 06:01 PM
HH, you're no more of an idiot than the rest of us...uh oh...you're F__KED!! Anyways, the 502 is still available from GM dealers and I believe Marine Power still offers it as well. Yes, small blocks can make serious power but the modifications necessary to make a stock 6.0 make 500HP would be significant and costly. For about $7500 he could get a ZZ502 crate motor from GM. 502HP, 570ft/lbs of torque. Aluminum heads and forged crank. For less than $6K you can get a 502 with 450HP and over 500 ft/lbs of torque. I'm not going to debate HP vs. torque either. But torque is actually measurable, whereas HP is a theoretical number based on torque multiplied by a number.

sdpm
08-26-2005, 06:13 PM
If you need one , I have one for sale. Brand New G.M. 502/502 still in the crate. Aluminum heads and all. These are great engines.
$ 5600.00

sdpm
08-26-2005, 06:16 PM
Carter Reed told me almost exactly the same thing, word for word. He said we could get another 150 hp out of each of those 350MAG MPIs with just the mods you mention. Either you're both really smart or both full of shit. :D
CARTER REED!! I can't believe he is still around. What a piece of work he is. If it came from his mouth, don't believe it!!

HighRoller
08-26-2005, 06:21 PM
SDPM, you affiliated with Scoggins-Dickey?

HighRoller
08-26-2005, 06:27 PM
And a 383 stroker is a long way from either the 350mpi or the 6.0 Vortec. I'm gonna take a stab at this and say that there is nothing you could bolt on short of nitrous or a blower that would get you a 140hp gain in a stock 350mpi. That's like a 75% gain in power over stock, which would require internal mods in any engine.

slingingsmoke
08-26-2005, 06:28 PM
BUDGET and BOAT does not mix
that is like drinking and driving...
some people do the latter part pretty well

Havasu Hangin'
08-26-2005, 06:56 PM
For about $7500 he could get a ZZ502 crate motor from GM. 502HP, 570ft/lbs of torque. Aluminum heads and forged crank. For less than $6K you can get a 502 with 450HP and over 500 ft/lbs of torque.
To switch over to a BBC, he would need to change alot of hardware, including exhaust and probably the cam, so add that to the budget.
Dennis Moore has a great book out there on hopping up the marine SBC. Looking at how conservative the cam and heads are on those motors (Merc buys them from GM's truck division) 450HP is very doable by making the engine breathe a little.
Edelbrock aluminum heads for the SBC are only $1,500 or so, add another couple hundred for a 230+/.500+ 112 cam, and a couple grand to ditch those Merc manifolds, and I bet you'd be suprised how it will wake that motor up.
Over 500HP? Then you'll need something more exotic (and/or more cubic inches).
Either you're both really smart or both full of shit. :D
You are correct- I'm generally full of shit. However, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

ahhell
08-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Checkers got me 3mph...... :D

HocusPocus
08-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Look down the road for a bit bigger boat....say a 25' or so with a 525... ;)
My.02 anyway.... :idea:
Later,
CJG
i would really have to agree with this one! if its not broke.. don't try to fix it. keep it like it is and look into upgrading the boat in a bit. i don't mind buying used boats but i prefer them to be stock. i hate when some has done too much tinkering on'em.

Jordy
08-26-2005, 08:12 PM
60-65 mph??? Ditch the ditch pump. Ditch the small block. Or, don't take it off the trailer. Problem solved. ;)
Does Ultra make anything with an outboard on it? :idea:
Does HolyRoller even have a boat??? :idea:
I know, ask MagicMtnDan. I think he had the same issue and his boat now does 90+ with a small block jet. ;)

sdpm
08-27-2005, 08:49 AM
SDPM, you affiliated with Scoggins-Dickey?
No.

HALLETT BOY
08-27-2005, 09:27 AM
I would keep the 6.0L vortec engine, with just a few mods these engines are capable of incredible reliable power, check out Lingenfelter and see what he gets out of these engines..they come from the factory with symetrical intake ports and good exaust ports, just look at what power they get out of the new Corvette engine, 6.0L and 505 HP !

rrrr
08-27-2005, 09:30 AM
One day, I hope to be a "journeyman" Internet Keyboard Jockey... :idea:
:cool:
We'll see about getting you that promotion. :hammer2: :hammer2: :D