PDA

View Full Version : 28 Daytona Question

JetBoatN
04-16-2003, 08:59 AM
My Step dad and I went to look at this boat last weekend. Looks like a decent deal. Does anyone know the history of this boat? Is this a fair price? How (un)reliable are blower motors? We don't have any experience with performance engines other than my 460 w/NOS and his stock 454. Any remarks would be appreciated. Thanks
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/8/44339648.htm

DogHouse
04-16-2003, 09:25 AM
Nice boat! Could go either way on the reliability question. Anything making 870hp is going to be higher maintenance than a stock 454, but that doesn't mean that it can't be reliable too. With the blower and intercooler, chances are that it's not leaned on too hard to make that power. If it was built with good components and set up right, it could be very reliable. I would try to find out what components are in the motor, who built it, and get a build sheet if available. Of course it would be a good idea to find a high performance shop in your area that you would trust to do any tuning or maintenance that would be required if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.
-brian

HavasuDreamin'
04-16-2003, 10:59 AM
Dog house gave you good information. One thing you may consider is finding out who built the motor, and calling them direct (if they are a big shop) to find out more about the motor and how reliable it will be. The B-Max is a good outdrive choice that can handle the power and not break. I think $73K is a very reasonable price on that boat if it is in as good of shape as it looks. Just for comparison, price out other 28' Daytona's and you will see what I mean. Good Luck

Charley
04-16-2003, 12:20 PM
All good advice so far.... the 28 tall deck is not a notoriously fast hull....I think it's a plus that the single outdrive is a B max.... I'm guessing that boat should be in the low 90's as far as speed....could be wrong though....good luck price seems pretty good if it's clean