PDA

View Full Version : Could this thing get out of it's own way?

Albert_B
08-26-2005, 08:23 PM
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/7/80319137.htm

Squirtin Thunder
08-26-2005, 08:25 PM
http://images.traderonline.com/EMedia/tarchive2/213/527375/00025202E18.jpg
I am willing to bet top speed is right at 40mph !!!
Now I have riden in one just like that with a 350SBC and a alfa merc drive and it did 48mph.

MudPumper
08-26-2005, 08:35 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there is no way in hell. :D

Hotrodnobody
08-26-2005, 08:38 PM
NO F'N WAY !!!!! It would be great for the family that likes to cruise to where they are going and be content in spending a sh*t load of $$$ in fuel.
HBN

Sleek-Jet
08-26-2005, 08:41 PM
NO F'N WAY !!!!! It would be great for the family that likes to cruise to where they are going ...
So what's wrong with that???

Tahiti350
08-26-2005, 08:50 PM
I posted a 26' foot Hawiian Day cruiser 460 jet for $8900 back in Feb this year. It's still for sale, could probably get it cheaper now.....

Hotrodnobody
08-26-2005, 08:57 PM
So what's wrong with that???
Not A thing if your Money tree is still alive.....With gas prices today, you do the math.. Not saying its a bad choice, just stating facts........
HBN

BUSBY
08-26-2005, 09:18 PM
hmmmmm ... :idea:
I've been lookin' for a new boat for Newport harbor ...
Can't be worse than Nelson's Tri Hull ...

riverbound
08-27-2005, 05:48 AM
Can't be worse than Nelson's Tri Hull ...
could anything be worse than that ???

Flip
08-27-2005, 06:03 AM
http://images.traderonline.com/EMedia/tarchive2/213/527375/00025202E18.jpg
I am willing to bet top speed is right at 40mph !!!
Now I have riden in one just like that with a 350SBC and a alfa merc drive and it did 48mph.
Don't get my wrong I love my 21' Jet, but the key word here is MERC ALFA DRIVE. It seems like anything past 22-23 ft and jets just don't seem to cut it. That is unless you've got one of the huge industrial size ones. :sqeyes:
This thing is 29' and has a PANTHER jet! :notam:

Beer-30
08-27-2005, 06:48 AM
You know that thing is built like tank, so I am betting......no. Would not get out of it's own way. It would have to be quite the slug. Good candidate for an Arneson conversion, though!

1978 Rogers
08-27-2005, 06:58 AM
15K, that's alwful steep price to ask for a boat that trolls, even if it is an Apache.

BigDoug
08-27-2005, 06:59 AM
This boat is 26ft. not 29ft. it's a copy of the old nordics or sleekcrafts, it has alot of room for the family but needs an i/o, i can't believe it's even a jet :2purples: the price is way out of line too considering it's a jet :hammerhea

Beer-30
08-27-2005, 07:22 AM
This boat is 26ft. not 29ft. it's a copy of the old nordics or sleekcrafts, it has alot of room for the family but needs an i/o, i can't believe it's even a jet :2purples: the price is way out of line too considering it's a jet :hammerhea
It's hard to tell from the picture, but it does look longer than a normal Ambassador.
Or, maybe it's 29' with trailer tongue?

blowngas
08-27-2005, 07:35 AM
Not A thing if your Money tree is still alive.....With gas prices today, you do the math.. Not saying its a bad choice, just stating facts........
well, let's see??------93 oct here is 2.75/ gl------last I heard, sunoco 118 was around $8/gl----(and I wouldn't run anything else)------so lookls like the blown motor stays on the trailer, and the sleekcraft heads for the lake----(besides, ya can't drink beer at over 50 mph anyway)!!!!

Beer-30
08-27-2005, 07:37 AM
well, let's see??------93 oct here is 2.75/ gl------last I heard, sunoco 118 was around $8/gl----(and I wouldn't run anything else)------so lookls like the blown motor stays on the trailer, and the sleekcraft heads for the lake----(besides, ya can't drink beer at over 50 mph anyway)!!!!
68 gals of 87 @ $2.69, and not fill up all weekend. :D

Sleek-Jet
08-27-2005, 09:34 AM
HBN
You know that thing that's hooked to the carb linkage... it's called a throttle... back off of it. :D
I've driven a few Sleek Ambasador Jet's and they would cruise at around 30 or so... no you're not going to win any races... but that's not what those boats are about.
And I'd be willing to bet that that motor is a low compression beast that will burn the cheapest gas you can get in it.
He asking to much for it though.... :hammer2:

old rigger
08-27-2005, 09:56 AM
I don't know where you get your info but it's wrong.
We tooled that up new at Hawaiian , it wasn't a splash of any ones boat. I can't remember the guys name right now that did the tooling, but he worked for us for years tooling up new plugs. He had one leg, I remember that much.lol
It's 28 feet, not 26. We also had a 25 foot version that looked exactly the same but didn't have the built in swim step that the 28 had.
Along with the other boats we built there, we did one of those a day, everyday, either the 25 or 28, for years. Big tank.
We did some for a 3rd world country too that had dual jets, dual BBC's and little else but gas tanks. They were used for patroling a river and we mounted 50 cal. machine guns on the decks. My dad rigged all the dual set ups.
Be kinda cool to have one for a cruiser, but 15K is nuts.

BUSBY
08-27-2005, 10:12 AM
We did some for a 3rd world country too that had dual jets, dual BBC's and little else but gas tanks. They were used for patroling a river and we mounted 50 cal. machine guns on the decks. My dad rigged all the dual set ups.
Be kinda cool to have one for a cruiser, but 15K is nuts.
Now that's what I'm talkin' about! 50 cal's! Too cool!
I would be interested in it just for sticking in Newport Harbor and trolling ... no more than 15 - 20 mph off the shores of OC ... kicking back a few cold ones.
But more inthe range of $5k ... not $15k ...
Could fit 6-8 in it and float drinkin bullets ... :D

Beer-30
08-27-2005, 10:16 AM
We tooled that up new at Hawaiian , it wasn't a splash of any ones boat. I can't remember the guys name right now that did the tooling, but he worked for us for years tooling up new plugs.
It's 28 feet, not 26.
They would have to be pretty rare? Any idea on a guess of production #s?

old rigger
08-27-2005, 10:40 AM
They would have to be pretty rare? Any idea on a guess of production #s?
Rare? I don't think they're too rare, maybe, I dunno. I don't think Hawaiians are very high on the collectable list. We did one a day for 3 or 4 years. I would guess there was 6 or 700 each of the big boats built at Hawaiian. We also did another 24 footer (spectra splash) and another 25 footer but not in those numbers. At our peak we were building 9 boats a day, which is a bunch for a shop that hand laminated all the hulls except for the tri-hulls, they were chopped. Our average was 4-6 boats a day. That 9 a day thing was for only one very good summer.
That 28 and the 25 were butt fit hulls too, which was a bitch. Normally on a bigger boat it's nice to have a box or coffin fit because the deck just drops over the hull, but on a butt fit, like most old school small boats, the deck and hull sit on their edges where they're joined and it's a little harder to line them up. Especially when it's only sat in the mold for less than a day. Parts move around alot when they're not cured fully.