PDA

View Full Version : JL 450/4 running hot?

Outnumbered
05-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Can too small speaker wire cause the amp to overheat? I used the stock factory wiring for ease of install which is pretty small like 18-22 gauge. There is about 75W peak running to each of 6 MB Quart 6.5's. The wires are not getting hot.
I went with JL stuff because I have had good luck with a 500/1 that never ran hot. I got my system up and I am running a 500/1 and a 450/4. The 500/1 is warm to touch but the 450/4 is almost too hot to leave your hand on even when playing low volume. I am running chanels 1&2 at 2 ohms (4 speakers) and 3&4 at 4 ohms (2 speakers). The amp is stable to 1.5 ohms. I am not getting any fault lights or thermal shut-down, just concerned. I know the class D 500 should run cooler than the class A-B 450.
Should I leave it alone or re-wire the speakers?

phebus
05-07-2006, 11:05 AM
What size power and ground are you running to your amp, and what length is it? I would look there first.

Outnumbered
05-07-2006, 11:24 AM
What size power and ground are you running, and what length is it?
Stinger 1/0 from the Perko about 12 feet to a block and then 4 guage for 18" to each amp. Same back to the batteries for ground, its all to spec. All wire is new except for the 6 MB quart speakers.

phebus
05-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Are your gains adjusted properly? Since it seems to be wired properly, I would just check all connections and make sure everything is good and tight. If it's getting hot this time of year, it will really get hot come summer. You should look into some fans.

Outnumbered
05-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Are your gains adjusted properly? Since it seems to be wired properly, I would just check all connections and make sure everything is good and tight. If it's getting hot this time of year, it will really get hot come summer. You should look into some fans.
Ya, I'm thinking fans would be good. Gains are about 3/4 up. You forgot that I'm in Phoenix, its about 98* today :crossx:

sigepmock
05-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Double check all your fuses and connections...I mean actually take them apart and re attatch them not just the wiggle it method.....I've seen two stereo/amp overheating problems in the last month that were bad connection related and the amps weren't getting good voltage. One of them the fuse itself had come apart but you couldn't tell be looking at it, only when the fuse was removed and one end fell off did we realize what was wrong.
Just my $.02,
Chris

Outnumbered
05-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Apples and oranges. The 450/4 is class ab and the 500/1 is class d. The class ab amp will always run much hotter than the class D. They use class ab for mid amps because the frequencies being produced are much broader. As long as it's not shutting down, I wouldn't worry too much about it. My old Soundstream amps ran hot enough to take the skin off your hand and they never shut down or gave me a bit of problem.
Thanks. No thermal fault like I said above. Everything is running fine just don't really know what temp they should run at. It may be normal, I just wanted to be sure my speaker wire was not an issue.

Outnumbered
05-08-2006, 07:03 PM
At 450 watts total output, I'd think 16-18 gauge would be more than sufficient.
I'm pretty sure its 18g so sounds like I am fine.