PDA

View Full Version : hull repair in WI????

burke1776
08-26-2005, 10:19 PM
I have a 1975 Baja vj-1800, and the rivets that hold the top and bottom together are pulling out. Anyone know of a good place to take it in SE WI??

Bajajet
08-27-2005, 10:15 AM
Hey I have one of those too! Don't know anyone in that area but if you drag it to Waterloo/Cedar Falls Iowa area there are two shops that would do a good job for you. Both are boat fiberglass shops strictly and not automotive.
PM me if you want their numbers.
Good Luck

Wally_Gator
08-27-2005, 10:52 AM
I have a 1975 Baja vj-1800, and the rivets that hold the top and bottom together are pulling out. Anyone know of a good place to take it in SE WI??
I am not familiar with this hull but rivets holding top and bottom together?
If it is a fiberglass hull, chances are the rivets are for the rubrail only
as the top and bottom are glassed together.

P-Money
08-27-2005, 01:26 PM
There is a boat shop n Roscoe IL that does decent work from what I've heard. D&S Marine (?) or something like that. Just west of HWY 251 5 miles south of Beloit.

bradbigsley
08-27-2005, 05:49 PM
I am not familiar with this hull but rivets holding top and bottom together?
If it is a fiberglass hull, chances are the rivets are for the rubrail only
as the top and bottom are glassed together.
i think mr. gator hit the nail on the head :mix:

73kona455
08-27-2005, 07:39 PM
i think mr. gator hit the nail on the head :mix:
wrong answer...lol..
i have a 76 baja 18 ft outboard.. the top cap is riveted to the hull...lots of boats are like this...... u could fix it your self....drill out the rivets that hold the rub rail on.. then drill out (probably 1/8th inch rivets so use 1/8th inch drill bit) the rivets and replace with like sized aluminum rivets... when finished run a bead of clear silicone around the joint where the hull and top cap meet.. then reinstall the rub rail...lay the plastic insert for the rub rail outside in the sun for awhile before u try to reinstall it.. use a flat balded screw driver to work it back into the rub rail...
its alot easier done than said,,lol... got any pictures of the boat?my baja (http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/41a9a2c7z6b18d698/7041/__sr_/8938.jpg?ph9J.DDBZHeCXGXO)
http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/41a9a2c7z6b18d698/7041/__sr_/8938.jpg?ph9J.DDBZHeCXGXO

bradbigsley
08-27-2005, 08:14 PM
wrong answer...lol..
i have a 76 baja 18 ft outboard.. the top cap is riveted to the hull...lots of boats are like this...... u could fix it your self....drill out the rivets that hold the rub rail on.. then drill out (probably 1/8th inch rivets so use 1/8th inch drill bit) the rivets and replace with like sized aluminum rivets... when finished run a bead of clear silicone around the joint where the hull and top cap meet.. then reinstall the rub rail...lay the plastic insert for the rub rail outside in the sun for awhile before u try to reinstall it.. use a flat balded screw driver to work it back into the rub rail...
its alot easier done than said,,lol... got any pictures of the boat?my baja (http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/41a9a2c7z6b18d698/7041/__sr_/8938.jpg?ph9J.DDBZHeCXGXO)
http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/41a9a2c7z6b18d698/7041/__sr_/8938.jpg?ph9J.DDBZHeCXGXO
see. you learn something every day.. still think its weird its held together with rivets.. never seen that before.. ;)

Wally_Gator
08-27-2005, 08:22 PM
see. you learn something every day.. still think its weird its held together with rivets.. never seen that before.. ;)
I am with you on this one..
My rub rail was riveted on.. I could see how someone might think the cap was riveted...
I wanna see pics of one of these.. Not that I doubt anyone.. But the sheer curiosity of how does it work? How do they make it strong enough?
Anyone with pics of a riveted cap?

73kona455
08-27-2005, 08:39 PM
i have had the whole top cap off my boat when i replaced the transom.. and have had several others off too.. it not an uncommon thing...

73kona455
08-27-2005, 08:41 PM
when u have rivets about every 3-4 inches apart.. thats alot of holding power... just remember, most airplanes are riveted together

bradbigsley
08-27-2005, 09:32 PM
when u have rivets about every 3-4 inches apart.. thats alot of holding power... just remember, most airplanes are riveted together
your right about the airplanes but thats a alum rivet to alum sheet. how does a rivet work with fiberglass? at the very least i would think you would have to put washers on the inside or else the glass would just crack.. but what do i know.. i too would like to see some pics.. not trying to break balls im just very curious as to how that would work. :rollside:

73kona455
08-27-2005, 09:38 PM
your right about the airplanes but thats a alum rivet to alum sheet. how does a rivet work with fiberglass? at the very least i would think you would have to put washers on the inside or else the glass would just crack.. but what do i know.. i too would like to see some pics.. not trying to break balls im just very curious as to how that would work. :rollside:
it works....lol