PDA

View Full Version : steering

v-drive
08-27-2005, 04:10 AM
A question. My boat pulls hard to the right, is it normal or is there a problem? It is a left hand prop. Because this is my first v-drive I just don't know
:coffeycup :D v-drive

ColeTR2
08-27-2005, 04:29 AM
It’s normal! Keep a good grip on the wheel and don’t let go :D

GofastRacer
08-27-2005, 04:31 AM
And if the rudder is offset to one side it will pull!..

v-drive
08-27-2005, 04:32 AM
Thankyou and you're not kidding about the grip. biggrin: v-drive

beaverfab
08-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Does the boat hook left when you let out, if so the ruter is not tight. I would check to see that it is tight and the key is ont out. my .02$ j.j.

superdave013
08-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Does the boat hook left when you let out, if so the ruter is not tight. I would check to see that it is tight and the key is ont out. my .02$ j.j.
Or the stuffing box is not wore out. My flat did the snakey snakey when I lifted until I replaced that.

v-drive
08-28-2005, 05:39 AM
I haven't noticed that but I am going drive it and check all of these things out. Thanks again............ :D v-drive

79 Howard
08-28-2005, 07:13 PM
There's many things that can be happening , mine was cav plate adjustment which I am still fine tuning anther was my single rack steering which I have chaged to dual rack and that helped alot, and of course it could be a combo of many things good luck v.drive :messedup:

v-drive
08-29-2005, 08:39 AM
There's many things that can be happening , mine was cav plate adjustment which I am still fine tuning anther was my single rack steering which I have chaged to dual rack and that helped alot, and of course it could be a combo of many things good luck v.drive :messedup:
Hmmmm! boy you guys are not going to run out of scenarios.
1 more to the list.
Wouldn't I be able to tell that by looking back when I was under power?
v-drive

79 Howard
08-29-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by looking back when you are under power?. What I am talking about is the turnbuckle adjustment on your cav plate, if one side is digging a little bit more than the other it will cause you to pull and the more rpm the harder it will pull ,scary pull at times. I have been messing with mine for a while and each little adjustment has made it better

v-drive
08-29-2005, 02:15 PM
I guess the easy way to explain it is if you had someone else drive and you watched what the wash from your boat was doing. if one side had more pressure on it you would see it by the trail it leaves in the water. I think
:D v-drive

79 Howard
08-29-2005, 05:58 PM
maybe but I doubt it

ColeTR2
08-29-2005, 06:47 PM
1. V-drive are you saying that you have to put a lot of pressure to keep the wheel straight? This is normal if your rudder is off set from the centerline of the prop. The prop wash hits the side of the rudder and makes the steering wheel hard to hold. 2. If your boat goes to the right when you punch it and then when you let off back left, it could be anyone of the following: cables are lose, rudder keyway worn, stuffing box is worn. Reach under the boat a grab the rudder does it wiggle from side to side / front to back? If so the stuffing box is worn make sure you pump some grease into the stuffing box before you check it. Hold the steering wheel then have someone rotate the rudder from left to right from under the boat. Does it feel like there is slop in it? If so and your boat has cables with pulleys, the cables should be snug. Look at the keyway in the quadrant and rudder and see if there is movement there? Make sure the quadrant bolt is tight too. Post some picture so we have a better idea of your set-up