PDA

View Full Version : Steering Chains

INEEDAV
08-27-2005, 08:40 AM
Thought I might mention my bad experience of about two weeks ago so everyone might do a thourough steering check on their boats.
I was running on the mississippi two weeks ago right near my house. Had just made a pass and was turning around to head toward the ramp. Just started my turn at 25mph or so, the chain came apart in the steering. Made a very abrupt turn in he opposite direction. Thank god that I had slowed down, otherwise it could have been a lot worse. I got wet, followed by a nice swim to the boat. Had some guy in a Sunray Yacht pull me close to shore.
Before you ask, the chain was installed early last summer and still looked new, one of the links about mid chain worked its way apart. Might just be a good idea to crawl up under your deck and tug on you chain once in awhile.
Billy

ColeTR2
08-27-2005, 11:13 AM
You where very lucky my friend!! :2purples:
I had a keyway work its way up out of the quadrant same thing happen. But I didn’t get wet.

BILLY.B
08-28-2005, 06:34 AM
Glad your ok Billy. All the steering componets need to be ck'd all the time. Something going wrong with the steering and or the throttle sticking are my 2 biggest fears.

wsuwrhr
08-28-2005, 07:02 AM
Something going wrong with the steering and or the throttle sticking are my 2 biggest fears.
:2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:

INEEDAV
08-28-2005, 10:45 AM
Glad your ok Billy. All the steering componets need to be ck'd all the time. Something going wrong with the steering and or the throttle sticking are my 2 biggest fears.
Thanks, it did suck the fire out of me for awhile. I'm thinking of going to a heavier chain, just need to grab sprocket and chain and do it I guess.

Fiat48
08-28-2005, 01:00 PM
2 things.
Where did the chain come from?
Why didn't you buy a lottery ticket that day? I think you would have won. Cause you real lucky.

olbiezer
08-28-2005, 01:23 PM
wow this is a good one .....never thought about checking the chain sence its out of sight......will take a look this afternoon.....might even oil the darn thing...thanks

INEEDAV
08-28-2005, 01:24 PM
2 things.
Where did the chain come from?
Why didn't you buy a lottery ticket that day? I think you would have won. Cause you real lucky.
Bob
I bought the chain from a reputable marine hardware supplier. I am not that worried about it though, things happen, shit fails. I should have inspected the back side of the chain better before running. I had changed it before I put the boat in the water last summer to be safe(remind you of installing a new "unproven" strut in a boat sometime in the past).
That would have been a good day to buy a ticket, I was damn lucky it broke after the run.

infotraker
08-29-2005, 09:02 AM
I put my 68 Schiada flat together in 68 and still have it. Not using it as much as I have a fully restored 77 Sanger Hydro. I have not changed the chain, pullies etc ever !! I should get a new chain, new pullies and put in new bolts. Most other parts have been replaced or checked.