PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to Cindy Sheehan

moneypit
08-27-2005, 09:43 AM
An Open Letter to Cindy Sheehan From the Proud Father of a U.S. Marine
By Brantley Smith
Posted On August 17, 2005
Ms. Sheehan,
By your actions over the past two weeks it is clear that you missed an important aspect of Civics 101: With rights come responsibilities. You certainly have the right to voice your opinion against the war in Iraq and the President's policies. You even have the right to camp outside the President's home in Crawford and demand he meet with you. Your status as a mother who has lost a child in the war also gives your words and actions a credibility and a larger audience than otherwise would be the case. Now that your supporters have given you a broad forum from which to be heard, making you a national figure, its time you considered your responsibilities to all of us. I have a daughter set to deploy to Fallujah in two weeks and I have a serious concern with how your irresponsible and short sighted actions might impact on her. She is, after all, a volunteer, like your son, and she is going in harm's way because she believes it is her responsibility to protect your rights and freedoms.
Well meaning people like you always seem to forget the law of unintended consequences and in your vanity and arrogant self-righteousness never bother to think through what it is you are trying to do versus what you may actually accomplish. I am here to inform you, Ma'am, that you will not change the policy of our government by sitting outside Crawford making a spectacle of yourself in the name of your rights to free speech; what you will do is provide more propaganda for our enemies and cost the lives of even more brave and selfless American warriors. How long do you think it will be before you become a star on Al Jazeera? For all I know, it may have already happened. One thing is certain, though, and that is that your actions and words will further embolden a ruthless and evil enemy and more American blood will be shed and some of it will be on your hands. I pray that my daughter will not be one of them. If she is, then I will hold you and those like you partly responsible. Yes, my daughter's fate will depend mostly on her own courageous decision to serve, but only the most naive among us can deny the impact our own words and actions here in America have in a world grown smaller by the revolution in communications technology.
I am sure you believe that you are serving some great cause by putting our servicemen and women in more danger and that you can, by your irresponsible exercise of free speech, help end a policy you disagree with. Your emotion may be compelling but the reality is that you will not set in motion any process that will change or undo what has been done. The war will go on because to end it now would dishonor the sacrifice of all of our fellow countrymen who have died in the cause of fighting terrorism. Rational Americans will not allow that. Too much is at stake. Unfortunately, shallow and irrational ones, such as yourself, will continue to put the lives of our sons and daughters in danger by aiding and abetting an enemy who sees propagandizing in the mass media as its main weapon in a war it could otherwise not win standing on its own wretched and evil justification of radical Islam, or by force of arms. You, Ma'am, have joined forces with an evil you neither understand nor apparently have tried to comprehend. You direct your anger toward our country while the enemy plots to kill and maim the innocent. You make a mockery of responsible free speech while thousands of young men and women fight desperately to preserve your safety. Instead of honoring your son's sacrifice you are inspired to comfort an evil enemy.
You clearly do not understand the challenge we face as a nation and have not tried to put it in historical perspective. It is a sad fact that it is those of your thinking that have led us to where we are today. Decades of appeasement to these haters of everything we hold dear has cost thousands of American lives from Beirut to New York and in dozens of other forgotten places. Remember Lockerbie? The Achille Lauro? The USS Cole? We as a people were dragged into this war, much like December 7th, 1941, and we must fight and win it wherever the enemy hides and against whomever would support him. Make no mistake about Iraq. It is both a legitimate and crucial campaign in this much larger, global war of radical Islam's making. These people hate us for who we are, not what we have done. We did not bring this on ourselves, as many would have us believe, by our policies and actions abroad. We brought this on ourselves in 1775 when the Founding Fathers embarked on a course of freedom, tolerance, and liberal democratic and social ideals. These haters of all we hold dear strive to destroy forever a government "of the people, by the people, and for the people" that Abraham Lincoln hoped would never "Perish from the earth". They would replace it with an oppressive world theocracy unlike anything modern history has ever seen for its ruthless disregard for personal freedom and liberty. If more appeasement is your answer for an alternative policy, spare us. We have suffered enough from cowardice and inaction.
An historical analogy screams to be let out here. It is one of two men, both named Chamberlain. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, a school teacher turned soldier in the American Civil War, found himself in the crosshairs of history on a warm July day in 1863 on a small hill in Pennsylvania. Commanding the 20th Maine Regiment on the extreme Union left at Gettysburg he was in a most perilous position. Should he fail to hold against a strong Confederate attack, the Union could be lost. You see, he was serving in an increasingly unpopular war at home against a resurgent enemy, and for a President fighting for his political life. Colonel Chamberlain, stoic but determined, refused to yield. His small regiment held against an onslaught of Confederate attacks, an action many historians believe turned the tide of the war. He was later awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. The other half of this analogy focuses on Neville Chamberlain, Prime Minister of Great Britain in the years preceding World War II. His story is widely known. Through his policy of appeasement and a lack of moral courage, he handed Adolf Hitler much of Europe. Which side of history have you chosen, Ma'am?
Your son died in the service of freedom and my daughter will go in harm's way to protect and preserve it. Honor their sacrifice, Ma'am, by exercising it responsibly.
I will pray with you and I will grieve with you but I will not stand by silent while you needlessly and arrogantly endanger the life of my daughter and her comrades in arms. Please bless us with your silence and go home.
Brantley Smith
Proud father of a United States Marine
Tullahoma, TN

pjones
08-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Wow........well written.

mirvin
08-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Here here........
She's just a pawn......I actually feel sorry for her.
mirvin ;)

godfather
08-27-2005, 11:21 AM
could not have said i better. lets hope everone comes back safe.

HocusPocus
08-27-2005, 12:48 PM
cindy.. pawn or no pawn can:
http://tn2.deviantart.com/300W/fs6.deviantart.com/i/2005/093/d/3/Kiss_My_Ass_by_Chernabog.png
i can't wait till all our troops are home but let them get their job done first.

SummitKarl
08-27-2005, 01:31 PM
WOW!!!! that is so well written.....it just draws you in and makes you think!!!
WELL DONE!! and WELL SAID!!!!!! Brantly

Paul65k
08-27-2005, 01:47 PM
An Open Letter to Cindy Sheehan From the Proud Father of a U.S. Marine
By Brantley Smith
Posted On August 17, 2005
Without a doubt the most well written piece I have seen on this subject in ANY forum, public or private!
God Speed to your daughter.....I for one will be sending my thoughts and prayers her way!

Ducatista
08-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Nice....good post Moneypit. :cool:

Jbb
08-27-2005, 02:43 PM
This link was supposedly a letter drafted by Bush as a reply to her....
letter (http://www.scrappleface.com/MT/archives/002289.html)

08-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Powerful stuff Moneypit. Please print that out and mail it to her. Words cannot describe my contempt for that "woman" and her ilk. When she declared that "America is not worth fighting for" I about lost my breakfast. I can tolerate the trash she says about GWB but to say that this great country is NOT worth fighting for she single handedly pissed on EVERY grave of every serviceman and woman that died for this country going all the way back to the Revolutionary War. I also hope she knows that she just pissed on her own son's grave too. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if she were found in that ditch in Crawford at room tempture. If she has no love for this country then she should leave for some place that is more suited to her beliefs, Iraq, perhaps so that she can be a "Freedom Fighter" that she so lovingly refers to the terrorist. F*ck that bitch :mad: :burningm:

MagicMtnDan
08-27-2005, 04:26 PM
This link was supposedly a letter drafted by Bush as a reply to her....
letter (http://www.scrappleface.com/MT/archives/002289.html)
C'mon JBB, that's a bunch of satirical BS. Why not post some threads with links to Michael Moore eating a cow pie? :sqeyes:

MagicMtnDan
08-27-2005, 04:29 PM
What would cindy Sheehan be doing these days if her son died:
A. in a videotape shown on TV in which her son's head is nearly decapitated by a radical Muslim wielding a knife?
or
B. in the Trade Center towers on 9/11?

SmokinLowriderSS
08-27-2005, 05:23 PM
I used to feel sorry for her being a pawn, but she likes the attention now. My pitty has become a solid case of distain, rapidly becoming disgust.

rodnjen
08-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Well written I agree, but she has a legitimate beef just the same. I realize mine is an unpopular opinion here, but there are a lot of us who respect our military but disagree with the stated reasons for their being there.

sam pioske
08-27-2005, 08:22 PM
If Ms Sheenan hates it here so much, let me buy her a ticket to any of better places she has in mind. I know alot of you would do so also, but my idea FIRST on these boards, my credit card is waiting. rotten bitch

GMFL
08-27-2005, 09:04 PM
Well written I agree, but she has a legitimate beef just the same. I realize mine is an unpopular opinion here, but there are a lot of us who respect our military but disagree with the stated reasons for their being there.
She may have a beef against the war, however, the original letter above did not address that at all. Her issue is that she is blaming Bush for "killing" her son. The fact is, that her son volunteered to stand up and do what he believed in. That is to serve his country. In doing so, unfortunately, he paid the ultimate price. That was his decision, and she hates her son for it. Sheehan has decided to "get back" at her son for his decision by trampling on his grave and, as the letter suggest, potentially other service members graves as well.
The lady is selfish and I'm sure, hurting, but her actions are irresponsible.
Her son served, I'm sure proudly, and she is dragging his body through her own remorseful dirt. She should be ashamed.
If you don't like the war, speak up about it. That's what our military is for. To protect our rights to do that.
However, don't drag the men and women who decide to protect our country through your own personal mud.
It was his decision to serve, a mother should respect that in her child whether she agrees with it or not.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
08-27-2005, 10:26 PM
Well....
You are allowed your opinion.....and even though you and I may disagree, I would still respect your opinion.....until.....
You start blaming Bush directly for your son's death....
You make a foolish statement that Bush is waging nuclear war against Iraq...
You state that Bush is a terrorist.....
You overshadow your son's sacrafice with your taste for the spotlight...
You become a miserable, stinking, stupid, f'ing biatch who has dishonored her son...
Thank you Casey.....GOD's Speed......Thank you for your sacrifice so that my son & daughter may not have to do the same.....
I will remember you for what YOU did for us.......Not for what your mother is doing to us....
CJG
:cool:

ekimzark
08-28-2005, 02:38 AM
you should live just a few miles from crawford....they always put that attention ***** on the local tv....drives me crazy.
Yesterday there was a guy who ran an ad on the local channel challenging her to a debate b/c he didn't want his sons name displayed on one of her crosses. I think its pretty cool what he's doing anything to draw attention away from her dumb ass.

rodnjen
08-28-2005, 07:08 AM
I agree that blame is not what this should be about, for either side. Hopefully everyone now understands what a serious commitment military service is, I respect any and all who voluteer.
I still disagree with the current administration on a number of issues, but all I can do is vote. I have in every election since I was 18 and I will until the day I die.

CA Stu
08-28-2005, 07:33 AM
If Ms Sheenan hates it here so much, let me buy her a ticket to any of better places she has in mind. I know alot of you would do so also, but my idea FIRST on these boards, my credit card is waiting. rotten bitch
This "Love it or Leave it" mentality is the most unAmerican attitude ever, and it's alarmingly prevalent.
One of the many reasons to love America is the freedom we enjoy to express our views. If someone exercises that right, and they want to change America (for the better in their mind), who the hell are you to tell them to leave?
You're no patriot, you're a xenophobic racist chickenhawk bigot, and a disgrace to the flag you so smallmindedly wave.
Would you telll Martin Luther King to "get the hell out"? How about Abraham Lincoln? FDR?
What gives you the right to tell anyone to leave the United States of America?
I suspect that most of the "America: Love it or get the hell out" crowd won't have the mental fortitude to see the irony in that very statement, and I sure don't have the patience or intelligenge to pound it into their Neanderthal skulls.
That sticker should say "America: Land of the Free. Love it or hate it, pay your taxes and vote!"
Thanks
CA Stu <-- American by choice
PS Mrs Sheehan is wrong to the core, I reckon, but I respect her right to voice her opinion. God Bless America.

Blown 472
08-28-2005, 07:50 AM
[QUOTE=CA Stu]This "Love it or Leave it" mentality is the most unAmerican attitude ever, and it's alarmingly prevalent.
One of the many reasons to love America is the freedom we enjoy to express our views. If someone exercises that right, and they want to change America (for the better in their mind), who the hell are you to tell them to leave?
You're no patriot, you're a xenophobic racist chickenhawk bigot, and a disgrace to the flag you so smallmindedly wave.
Would you telll Martin Luther King to "get the hell out"? How about Abraham Lincoln? FDR?
What gives you the right to tell anyone to leave the United States of America?
I suspect that most of the "America: Love it or get the hell out" crowd won't have the mental fortitude to see the irony in that very statement, and I sure don't have the patience or intelligenge to pound it into their Neanderthal skulls.
That sticker should say "America: Land of the Free. Love it or hate it, pay your taxes and vote!"
Thanks
CA Stu <-- American by choice
Amen.

Keith E. Sayre
08-28-2005, 08:23 AM
I too have a step son who flies in and out of Baghdad twice a week in a C130.
I also believe that this "person" is doing nothing more than giving the enemy a
bit of hope in an otherwise helpless situation for them. Any glimmer of hope
will allow them to gather more momentum and optimism so therefore just like
Jane Fonda did in Vietnam, this lady is giving the opposition the idea that we
are a divided people and one that could be defeated.
While I don't know about the "love it or leave it" comments, I've lived outside
of this great country and I have no desire to go anywere outside of our borders again. I thank God that I live here and have the rights that I do
and I thank those kids in uniform that we won't be fighting terrorists here
at home in the near future. Without them and their sacrifices, I truly believe
that the WTC was just the beginning and terrorists would have been here in full force by now, right on Main Street.
To those in uniform: God bless you all. To our President--stay the course.
To the lady in Crawford Texas, go stay in Afghanistan for a month on your
own. Then let us know if you still want to continue your misguided effort.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Big Warlock
08-28-2005, 09:13 AM
These are the threads I live for. Well said everyone! Thos ethat want to leave should pack up and move asap!!! Last round, lots of talk but no one left. That was a shame!!!
This woman is a nut case!! Plain and simple. The President has already met with her. And he has explained a couple of hundred times the reasons we are there.
Hee is something that can help the other side understand:
Read the 9-11 commision report. If you haven't, shut up!!! You are talking out your butt!!! (that was a bi partisan report, FYI)
Again, great topic! Some excellent views presented and excellent writing. There is hope for our country yet!!